Worst Premier Imports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst Premier Imports?

For whatever reason, weaker leagues, pushy agents or one wonder goal videos, the english league have seen some players where you truly wonder how they ever got a contract in this country, sometimes millions have been spent on these roaming mutants, which of them are among your faves, and a few words would be nice!

Andrea Silenzi (Notts forest), Italian meastro bought in to replace collymore, they might as well have replaced him with a hair rock mannequin.

Marco Boogers (West Ham), did an Andy Bogard against Man Utd IIRC and was never seen since, looked like a nazi.

Let em roll.

Marcelinho - Newcastle Utd

Cost us in excess of £5m, barely played a game & when he did he was ****. Spent two months out with a hurty thumb. Shipped him back to Spain for not a penny. Ugly bugger to boot.

In fact we have a history of buying **** centre backs... Boumsong, Bramble, Collocinni etc etc

Comment

Andy van de Meyde:
      Great for Ajax, but pish for every other else.

Andryiv Shevchenko:
      loved the guy when he played for Dynamo Kiev/ AC Milan.... but by god, his glittering european career didnt half take a nosedive when he went the way of Chelsea.

Salif Diao:
      After a great World Cup 2002 for Senegal, went to play for Liverpool... or did he?
      i can't for the life of me remember him playing 2 straight games, because he was injured that much.

Eric Djemba-Djemba:
      Supposed to be a long term replacement for Roy Keane... only if the kid could actually play some football would be nice, since he was very wayward, with, well, pretty much everything.

Massimo Taibi:
      Probably a fishmonger in his previous days, since he could never really hold onto things.

Juan Seba Veron:
      Marvelous for Sampdoria and Lazio, but for some reason or other, just couldn't play the game he played so well, when he was with Man Utd/ Chelsea.

Tomas Brolin:
      All i remember was that he ate burgers, rather than play for Leeds. The fat bast...

Comment

Not really a proper signing as such but anyone remember William Prunier?! I think he played a couple of games for us (Man United) on trial and was never ever seen again. If my memory serves me right, he had an awful game against Spurs when we got spanked 4-1 at White Hart Lane in 1996.

Oh yeah and let's not forget the whole Laurent Blanc saga, he was so bad for us it was actually funny.

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
          Not really a proper signing as such but anyone remember William Prunier?! I think he played a couple of games for us (Man United) on trial and was never ever seen again. If my memory serves me right, he had an awful game against Spurs when we got spanked 4-1 at White Hart Lane in 1996.

Oh yeah and let's not forget the whole Laurent Blanc saga, he was so bad for us it was actually funny.
          Your memory is correct - I wish Utd had kept Prunier, wheeling him out for their yearly visit to WHL, to be honest!

Sergei Rebrov springs to mind from a Tottenham perspective. Such a flop at ?11m he ended up at West Ham on a free....

Comment

I know he scored a critical goal when Liverpool won the European Cup but I never understood how Vladimir Smicer ever played Premier League football and especially for one of the bigger clubs.
            Whenever I saw him he was utterly, utterly useless.

Comment

Shevchenko LOL

Comment

Ali Dia, who was supposedly George Weahs cousin. Remember him. Souness brought him on as a sub for the saints then subbed him cos he was ****e

Prunier was total crap

Jardel for Bolton was as fat as a jabba when he came

Morientes i seem to remember wasn't much kop either at Liverpool

Forlan was rubbish as well

Talking of Silenzi, didn't he go on to be really good in either Spain or Italy, a bit like Forlan?
                Last edited by NemesiS; 13-04-2009, 20:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh_Mutants View Post
                  Marcelinho - Newcastle Utd

Cost us in excess of ?5m, barely played a game & when he did he was ****. Spent two months out with a hurty thumb. Shipped him back to Spain for not a penny. Ugly bugger to boot.

In fact we have a history of buying **** centre backs... Boumsong, Bramble, Collocinni etc etc
                  Not only them, add to that Albert Luque, Jon Dahl Tomasson, Xisco, Hugo Viana to name a few, we are in a league of our own when it comes to buying players.

Comment

Originally posted by Kongster View Post
                    Shevchenko LOL
                    Exactly what I was going to say, he's really struggled at AC Milan this season also. Bet he wishes he could turn the clock back three years.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel007 View Post
                      Not only them, add to that Albert Luque, Jon Dahl Tomasson, Xisco, Hugo Viana to name a few, we are in a league of our own when it comes to buying players.
                      The thing is i used to watch Luque regularly when he was at Betis and he looked class. Tomasson as well went on to great things after leaving us, Viana has done ok too. We just seem to have this habit of signing players who look decent, but can't cut it in the Premier League (ala Shevchenko).
                      Although to be fair, the likes of Owen, Smith, Butt, Viduka, Duff etc were established top class premier league players but seem to have done relatively f*** all for us

Comment

You mean Deportivo right? I can't remember Luque playing for Betis. I remember him at Mallorca and Depor though.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapp$ter View Post
                          You mean Deportivo right? I can't remember Luque playing for Betis. I remember him at Mallorca and Depor though.
                          Depor, that's right. Still had Marcelinho on my mind when i wrote that *shudder*. Betis were kind enough to take him off our hands.
                          Speaking of Deportivo, Tristan's another promising player who's career took a bit of a nose dive...

Comment

Originally posted by Oh_Mutants View Post
                            Although to be fair, the likes of Owen, Smith, Butt, Viduka, Duff etc were established top class premier league players but seem to have done relatively f*** all for us
                            Seems a bit harsh on Owen that, no?
                            His goals:minutes ratio at Newcastle must be pretty tidy.

Comment

Gotta mention Bruno Cheyrou aka "The new Zidane". Turned out the only thing he had in common with the great Zizou was that he looked a bit like him (oh and they were both French).
                              Last edited by ezee ryder; 13-04-2009, 22:46.

Comment

Working...
                              X