Outlander (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outlander (2009)

Just went to see this at the local Vue, screen was virtually empty...

...BEST CREATURE SCI-FI FLICK SINCE THE ORIGINAL ALIEN/ALIENS! As far as I'm concerned one of the best movies I've seen in decades!

Totally get your collective asses down to the local cinemas now and see it before it disappears! Move it people!

Is that a sarcastic post? or is it a really good film.

Its from the director of Lucky Number Sle7en i noticed, so i had high hopes for it, seeing as thats my favorite movie

Got a spare few hours today so might squeeze it in if its any good.
    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 25-04-2009, 09:09.

Comment

ugh, it goes on a bit long & outstays its welcome for me 5/10

Comment

Pretty much run of the mill Sci-fi film.

Comment

I thought Lucky Number Sleven was a load of crap but this was actualy pretty damn good.

It has a great cast and the creature is original in design (it looks like a walking firework display) plus is has vikings and Ron pearlman runing about squishing peoples heads with two giant mallets.

James Cavizel is in it though, and I dont think hes ever been in a film that has made over a hundered dollars worldwide at the box office so its destined for obscure cult status Im guessing.
          Last edited by rmoxon; 25-04-2009, 14:53.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            Is that a sarcastic post? or is it a really good film.

Its from the director of Lucky Number Sle7en i noticed, so i had high hopes for it, seeing as thats my favorite movie

Got a spare few hours today so might squeeze it in if its any good.
            Genuinely a fantastic film. Maybe I was just not expecting much... but I was blown away by the FX, and the overall artistic style of the film (including the CG monster - can't remember that last time I was so impressed with a pure CG creature in a film - its done to perfection).

I shall be getting this on Blue Ray and touting it to all my mates between now and then... like I said, this was anything but an average run-off-the-mill sci-fi IMO.

Each to their own though.

Comment

I thought this was terrific too. Imagine Pitch Black mixed with The 13th Warrior and you're pretty much there.

Great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                James Cavizel is in it though, and I dont think hes ever been in a film that has made over a hundered dollars worldwide at the box office so its destined for obscure cult status Im guessing.
                The Passion of the Christ made about half a billion I think.

Comment

Originally posted by anephric View Post
                  Imagine Pitch Black mixed with The 13th Warrior
                  I neeeed to watch it.

Comment

I see a lot of films and give most things a go but this looks absolute gash in the trailers.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                      I see a lot of films and give most things a go but this looks absolute gash in the trailers.
                      I never saw a trailer for it before seeing it in the cinema. Infact I had never even heard of it until the day we went to see it, we were just flicking through the available movies to see at the local Vue and came across it.

It's definitely NOT absolute gash Read my first post.

Comment

If, like Ricky Bobby, you consider Highlander to be the best film ever made, then Outlander must run a close second.

It's the sort of straight-to-video (but with really high production values and actuallykinda released theatrically) SF/action nonsense that you really don't get anymore. It's a gift. You should treat it as such.

Comment

This should have come out in 1982, in the good old days of men in rubber suits and stop motion, when you barely caught a glimpse of the monster until the final reel. Because the alien in this is ****ing rubbish.

I've got doodles in the back of my old school books that look better than this thing. And not one of my creations glowed PINK! It's like watching a bunch of hairy arsed vikings taking on George from Rainbow.

At the very least they should have got Ron Perlman to do something, I dunno, something badass, gave him a couple of lolsome wisecracks, because he does nothing except pick up his pay cheque.

What a letdown. How could something that promised to be so awesome turn out so meh?

Comment

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Comment

I enjoyed it quite a bit, the monster was pretty cool and I even found its back story quite interesting. It's lacking a strong central character though, Jesus does an OK job acting wise but the script was poor. It needed someone like Riddick to raise the film.

Comment

Working...
                              X