Bluray Vs HDDVD - were you right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluray Vs HDDVD - were you right?

I reckoned that HDDVD would win because it says DVD in the name. Nope.

How about you?

I bought both to make sure, wish I didnt spend as much as I did on hd-dvd

Comment

I wish HD-DVD had won as I loved the lack of region locking. I know many blu rays aren't. But much like 360 games, it can be a gamble.

Anyway I was wrong too. I saw Blu-Ray going the same way as mini disc and Betamax. I guess you should never under estimate the Playstation brand.

Comment

i think a major factor, was incorporating it in to a games console; that way its getting into the house hold and developing an awareness to all the family. Genius. TBH i didnt think hd-dvd stood a chance, even though i liked the format

Comment

I wasn't sure so bought both, paid ?160 for the hd add on, sold it for ?30. Go me.

The region locking thing never really came into it as i always bought US discs anyway, but i guess it's good in a way the war was over so quick so we could all cut our losses and get on with it. Never really used the 360 add on either for fear of it ****ing my console, and didn't like the red boxes either.

Comment

They where just storage mediums, its like fighting over a tupperware dish.

I bought both by the way

Comment

Nope I so was so wrong it isnt funny

I thought BD & even the PS3 were doomed because of it...shows what I know.

I wish so much that HD-DVD had won although on the plus side I got a HD Drive for the 360 for peanuts & have amassed a collection of 50+ HD-DVDs none of which have cost me more than a tenner.
              If I'd bought Blu-Ray I'd be well in the poor house to have a collection even half as big.
              I'm more than happy with HD DVD as a format I think it looks great PQ wise & I just wish more people had backed it but oh well.

Neil

Comment

i always think these format wars are obvious, I've not got one wrong in years.

I avoided the 3DO, minidiscs, HD DVD, Gizmodo, Tivo, Laserdiscs and won't be buying one of those pc game streaming boxes that got all that debate going recently

Comment

I was a click away from buying the EP-35, luckily I chickened out of that money pit and decided that if Blu-ray died at least i'd have a PS3 console, it was close.

If i had spent full whack on the Toshiba i might have thrown myself out of a window after seeing them for £35 new online within weeks of that fatal day.

Comment

I never bought any til it was over.

Glad blu-ray won because the blue boxes are nicer than red and I'm a really shallow person.

Comment

I expected both to succeed. My thinking was, they?d both share the home market and HD DVD would knock out some cheap drives for the PC.

Comment

I was wrong. Blu-ray sounds rubbish for a start. Like Charles, I thought having DVD in the name would help as it made it much clearer as to what it is. Blu-ray tells me nothing. Region locking versus no region locking, well, I know which one I'd prefer. And, in spite of the hype and the four times this and five times that, early Blu-rays didn't actually look all that great to me. And the boxes look rubbish.

HD DVD should have won, I reckon.

But then I was in the DVDs are fine camp and only ended up with a Blu-ray player when I eventually got a PS3. If not for that, I still wouldn't have one.

Comment

I was right , because I'm pretty awesome, one of the factors with HDDVD was that you only ever saw toshiba made players, and the fact the external addon for 360 was doomed on conception. Blu ray took a while to gain momentum though.

Comment

Although the format was fine on the technical side apart from the lack of bandwidth but it wasn't around long enough t be caught out there.

Toshiba made some shocking business decisions which I blame partly on the DVD Forum, which was essentially Toshiba. Some studios were very clear that they wouldn't use a format that doesn't allow them to region lock films released on disc if they were still showing in cinemas in other regions.

If you don't listen to what the major studios are wanting then they're not going to play.

A lot of what Toshiba were pushing seemed very retrogressive to me. Films that were DVDs on one side and HD-DVDs on the other and then sold them at a higher price than the standard HD-DVDs made no sense at all. Toshiba being so vocal about how upscaled DVDs looked as good as HD films, which they're still doing now in their players which now contain a modified version of the PS3s CELL.

If you tell people that there's no advantage in paying more to buy your products then you're never going to get shops to stock them and people to buy them.

The major issue with the HD-DVD players was that, irrelevant of the make you bought...there's a very high chance that it's just a rebadged Toshiba player.

This bought up two problems. For the smaller firms that there was no reason for customers to buy a Ventura SHD-7000 if they could buy HD-A3 from the far more respected company called Toshiba. The Ventura was ?100 cheaper but people at that time looking to buy HD equpment would probably not be wanting to buy something labelled Ventura that was being sold from bargain bins. It also worked the other way with machines like the Onkyo DV-HD805 which was a rebadged Toshiba HD-EX1but around ?300 more expensive.

I know that people have moaned about the blu-ray name several times but I felt using the name HD-DVD was extremely retrogressive again. I know Toshiba were the DVD Forum and I know that DVDs were selling well but I'd always felt it was going to get in the way.

I understand it describes exactly what you're buying but non descriptive names like iPod or Wii which were perhaps a little uncomfortable for people at first they're distinct and have ended up being fairly catchy names.

I'm not convinced the name would have affected sales significantly though.

As I said, the format itself was fine but Toshiba really killed it off themselves.

Comment

I reasoned with myself that the tell was that because HD-DVD featured the word DVD, the general public would understand that as...DVD....but HD betterer. My lack of faith eh.

Comment

Working...
                              X