Removing chewing gum from sofa???!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing chewing gum from sofa???!!!

Just had a bit of a crisis with my girlfriend's new sofa. Basically, we had a few bottles of wine last night, got drunk, and I passed out on the sofa. This afternoon, I was looking for my phone, found it stuck down the side of the sofa - the cushion next to it accommodating a ball of nicotine gum, which had obviously fallen from my gob whilst asleep.

Now, the stuff was/is pretty deeply embedded. I got the bulk off using the ice cube method, but there's still a one inch base, which resembles a ghost.

The sofa is made of brown suede/buckskin, so I don't want to use a Stain Devil which may dye the colour away. I kind of have to get it off without the least bit of damage, as this sofa cost about a grand.

Anyone got any decent tips????!!!

Mrs G, the queen of cleaning, informs me that liquid lighter fuel is your best bet. Seriously.

Here's a link:

Link.

Disclaimer: I have absolutley no idea if this thing what I read on the internet is true.

Comment

Mrs G also offers another tip: use an emery board (posh name for nail fille I believe) or fine sandpaper.

Comment

Cheers for the link! Currently reading through the various tips.

Do you know if lighter fuel might dye out the colour, though? It's kind of a chocolate mousse brown, don't fancy any cream patches, I'm sure I would be murdered...

Comment

Freezing also makes removing gum easier.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
            Freezing also makes removing gum easier.
            You'd need a big freezer to put a sofa in it though!

Comment

Hold an ice cube against it to freeze it. It works!

Comment

^Yeah, I did the ice cube thing to begin with, got the bulk of it off, but I'm still left with this very thin film of gum around the size of a 50p piece. I hear that oily stuff (olive oil & stuff) gets it out, too, but oil will stain for definite. I've heard that egg whites work, also, but I don't know what state it'll leave the sofa in.

Bah, I wish I'd have stayed on the fags - first I got it on my jeans (ice cubes worked) then I got it in my hair (Paul Newman's Salad Dressing cured that episode) but this current gum problem is looking pretty insurmountable at prez!

Comment

I got a lot on one of the carmats last year, looked up some tips on the internet like yourself and tried a vinegar one, worked a treat but carmats aren't the same as a nice sofa.

Comment

Working...
                  X