Buying contact lenses via the net!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying contact lenses via the net!

Is this possible in anyone's experience? I ask as I need new contacts but I am fed up with having to go to the opticians for an eye check every time I want new lenses, as racket to keep them busy. I have been wearing them for 17 years so I know the in and outs. I know the type I want, the BC the DIA and the strength so I wonder if it can be done.

I am not in the UK by the way, so I am looking for a way to ship them.

Just speculating but I imagine it can't be done - it's a matter of healthcare, and for every person who knows what they are doing there will be ten muppets who order completely the wrong thing and screw up their eyesight even further.

There is most likely some form of legislation to ensure people always have the supervision of an optician (and if there isn't, there should be!)

I'm interested to know too though as it would be very convenient, haha

Comment

yep done this loads but i am in the uk. if you do a google search loads of places come up and im sure some of them must ship internationally.

Comment

Will check, thanks.

Darwock, I know what you mean but in the end, they don't require much thought though. It's not like a powerful medicine that needs to be prescription only. Honestly, part of the reason is to keep opticians in business, not that they will admit such.
        Last edited by Richard.John; 29-05-2009, 14:32.

Comment

My brother in law buys his contact lenses from America (and gets them shipped to the UK). Gets a years supply at a time. It's perfectly possible so long as you know your prescription.

Comment

http://www.yourlenses.ie/ i get mine from there

i get my eyes checked and know my prescription works out alot cheaper

Comment

I'm actually a qualified Optometrist so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Ordering the lenses shouldn't be a problem..the issue is the ocular health and after care, as many opticians don't like to get involved if you're not buying the lenses from them (i work in a Hospital so don't blame me!). If you get a crappy material or slightly incorrect parameters you can cause corneal problems, which if unmonitored can be BAD. My advice would be to order them but make certain that you go for regular Contact lens after care appointments every six months.

Also in the interest of the best solutions if you're in any way worried about your eyes i'd recommend the Two Step Hydrogen Peroxide cleaners. These are far superior to the All In One multipurpose solutions, though a little less user friendly.

Comment

Wow, I'm surprised!

I always thought if you wore lenses too much your blood vessels would grow into your eyes and all kinds of weird ****, so it was important for your optician to check you weren't abusing the lenses or something.

Guess I bought into the hype

Comment

I have ordered some from America. Result....

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                    Wow, I'm surprised!

I always thought if you wore lenses too much your blood vessels would grow into your eyes and all kinds of weird ****, so it was important for your optician to check you weren't abusing the lenses or something.

Guess I bought into the hype
                    I don't get it.....that's what i though i implied and that is really what happens (neovascularisation). That's why i recommended 6 month after-care checks, so your opitician can check the lenses are actually ok. I'd always recommended never sleeping in your lenses and getting the highest oxygen permeability lenses you can. So best scenario would be getting the extended wear lenses and wearing them on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by xist View Post
                      I'd always recommended never sleeping in your lenses
                      Back before I had my eyes shot up with death rays, I slept in my lenses... Boy did I regret that (not that I chose to... it just happened... after a drink...)

Comment

I expect you had to literally peel them from your eyes.

Speaking as a Hospital Optom, i'd say that Contact Lens related complications are amongst the nastiest and most damaging things that a normal person can do to themselves. If you know your parameters by all means get some good quality branded lenses online from a reputable trader. However regular checkups are essential to monitor ocular health. Usually if you buy your lenses from an Optician you get the After Care's as part of the price...if you buy online you'll have to cough up for the examination and won't get the 6 months prompts.

Remember you won't be aware of any problems yourself, which is why you need to see a Professional to check you're ok. Don't skimp on follow ups!

Comment

I expect you had to literally peel them from your eyes.
                          Yep! I pretty much had troubles seeing for a week, not to mention, very sore eyes.

Comment

I don't get it.....that's what i though i implied and that is really what happens (neovascularisation). That's why i recommended 6 month after-care checks, so your opitician can check the lenses are actually ok. I'd always recommended never sleeping in your lenses and getting the highest oxygen permeability lenses you can. So best scenario would be getting the extended wear lenses and wearing them on a daily basis.
                            Sorry my post just happened to be under yours, I was surprised at the fact you can buy them online at all, not that you need to seek proper advice.

Comment

the lenses I have from specsavers are advertised as 24/7 lenses i.e you dont need to take them out??.

I wear my lenses for about 10 hrs a day 5 days a week and never had any problems. I also sleep with them in reguarly - well everytime Im drunk - once a week .

Never had any prblems removing them or seeing through them after a nights sleep.

Has my optician advised me incorrectly, am I doing something really bad for my eyes?.

Comment

Working...
                              X