Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Athletes Foot help

Bit of an icky thread but meh.

I've been suffering from athletes foot for a long time and using creams and powders haven't really affected it. The problem is it's become too widespread, affecting most of the foot (and the toenails which have gone white and crumbly).

Any suggestions of any high powered chemicals I can use in a footbath that would zap the fungus in a couple of treatments? There are lots of herbal 'remedies' usually involving vinegar suggested around but I'd rather use something known to work (and that won't stink my feet out like vinegar would). I know for major fungal infections you're best to go to the doctors to get a course of anti-biotics but I'd rather avoid going to the doctor.

Mate you need to get to the doctor if it is starting to spread across your foot.

There are many anti-bio steroid creams that they will prescribe for you which will shift it in short order like Daktacort, or another which name escapes me (i'll find out) which is stronger still.

Over the counter creams won't really help now. Daktarin/Canesten spray and creams are ok if catch it early (when its between the toes), but if yours has spread you need steroid cream by the sounds of it.

Don't be embarassed by going to the quacks, athletes foot is probably the least ****ty thing they see all day. Just bite the bullet and get the proper medication before it gets out of hand and it will be gone in no time

Comment

Piss on it in the shower?

Comment

gah Urea does actually seem to have an effect on athletes foot

makes note to check active ingrdients for 'all natural' remedies in the future

Comment

That's jellyfish stings.

If it's spreading get to your Doctor! If it's spreading like that then it can be transfered to places like your groin where it can have long lasting effects on your baby making abilities.
          Last edited by Spatial; 01-06-2009, 10:12.

Comment

The wood vinegar ones work though they do stink. My wife had terrible athletes foot a couple of years ago, really scaly and nasty but tried the vinegar remedy and it cleared it up. It seems to work on the principle of literally killing/shedding the top layer of skin and taking the fungus with it once and for all.

Comment

May give that a try, keep reading success stories about it. Going to stink though. How many treatments does it need?

Comment

Potassium Permanganate

Try to get it in crystal form rather than the tablets.

Put a pinch of the crystals in a bowl of hot water and soak your feet. it'll clear it up in a few days.

It will stain your feet brown while you're using it (you'll probably stain your fingers a bit during the process so latex gloves might be a good idea too) but it will definitely work. Docs are unable to officially prescribe it these days but I can confirm it clears up chronic cases of AF and also eczema. It's pretty much a miracle cure in my opinion.

Comment

The stuff my wife used stank and turned her feet and nails brown. They advise applying clear nail varnish to avoid the staining problem.

Comment

Originally posted by FullSpecWarrior View Post
                    Potassium Permanganate

Try to get it in crystal form rather than the tablets.

Put a pinch of the crystals in a bowl of hot water and soak your feet. it'll clear it up in a few days.

It will stain your feet brown while you're using it (you'll probably stain your fingers a bit during the process so latex gloves might be a good idea too) but it will definitely work. Docs are unable to officially prescribe it these days but I can confirm it clears up chronic cases of AF and also eczema. It's pretty much a miracle cure in my opinion.
                    Hmm seems to be a strong oxidiser, can you get this on the high street?

Comment

Sure can. Have you tried it yet?

Comment

I found that surgical spirit does wonders. Once every few days put some surgical spirit on a cotton wool swab and wet all the places you have it (on the feet only, please!) and it cleared up pretty damn sharpish. Smells quite pleasant, too (to me anyway; maybe solvent abusers, too! ).

You don't want to use it long term because I think alchohol on the skin dries it out and obviously plays havoc with all the good bacteria as well as the nasty fungi.

Comment

Got it from an online chemist in the end. Got blank stares at most chemists (although one boots store knew what it was for and said they used to stock it but don't anymore). Haven't felt so awkward since my dad made me pick up a prescription for morphine for another family member and didn't tell me till afterwards. Getting a healthy 22 year old to pick up a morphine prescription... no wonder they only gave me a half course of the medication ¬¬.

Done one treatment and it did indeed turn my feet brown, fades everywhere but my toenails which now look weird. Seem's to have improved things, less itchy although it may not have zapped it 100% first time so I may need to do another treatment.

Comment

Working...
                          X