What do you use to shave with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you use to shave with?

Ever since I started shaving I seem to have been on a quest to find the best combination of products to give a smooth, long lasting, shave. Over the course of the years I've tried many, many, different products. Some better than others, and just when I think I have found an ideal solution, I seem to find a downside to it.

To that end, and as you all seem to be gentlemen of the world (apart from the ladies present, obviously), I'd like to try and gather some of your knowledge / experience too please!

What do you use? I'm talking the complete shaving journey here, so do you use oil before hand, balm afterwards? What kind of blade do you use? Do you use hot flannels, or just shave after a shower etc...? Don't even talk to me about electric razors as they're just utter rubbish.

OK, so at the moment, I use the following method (to a certain degree of success).
    1 - Shower
    2 - no pre-shave oils (have yet to find one I can get on with)
    3 - Gillette Fusion blade
    4 - Badger hair brush (Edwin Jagger, also the handle to my razor is part of the same set)
    5 - Geo F Trumper (almond) shaving soap
    6 - Small amount of hot water on the brush, small amount in the soap bowl, and whisk it up to get a nice lather.
    7 - Apply lather on face in a circular motion.
    8 - Shave in the direction of the hairs
    9 - Rinse & pat dry
    10 - Then I use either Geo F Trumper Skin Food, or Khiels Ultimate Shaving Balm.

This seems to be working alright for me at the moment, but I dunno, suspect I may be able to get a closer shave. I'm quite dark haired, so even after I've shaved, it still looks like I need another shave

Oh, btw, only interested in FACE shaving only please...

Given how popular the beard thread is/was, I suspect I may be on my own with this, but here goes anyway

That's a lot of effort for shaving.

I use this:

... which is amazing, then I scrape my face with whatever razor I currently own (Just bought a new... Fusion I think?) until it doesn't look too scruffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
      That's a lot of effort for shaving.
      It's because I'm worth it

Do you find with the oil that your blade gets clogged up super quickly though?

Comment

I rinse my blade under the bath tap when I'm done. Our bath tap throws water out at about 1,000,000 litres/sec so it gets the job done.

Comment

Wow thats a bit much for me

My shave routine is...

Wash face with Avon facewash
          Palmolive sensetive skin Shave foam applied by hand
          Mach 3 Turbo Razor
          Rinse face & dry
          Avon Mens Mosturiser

Thats it.

Does me fine, not the closest but hey I'm only going to work or seeing the missus so I dont need it to be the bestest ever lol.

Neil

Comment

I discovered Merkur shaving stuff last year. They are a German firm from the city of Solingen which is famous for making blades of all sorts of over the centuries.
            I'm a real stickler for being clean shaven but I also have sensitive skin. Not a great combination.
            So I use a Merkur Futur handle:

With matching Merkur blades, £4 for 10 double sided blades. I use each blade 3 times per side then change them.
            Foam wise it's Nivea gel for sensitive skin and followed post shave by Nivea balm.

It's strange using a safety razor at first but they do seem to offer a superior shave and seem to be easier on your face as they require less pressure on your skin. It is quite easy to nick yourself with a safety razor at first but a little practice and it's fine.
            Last edited by CMcK; 24-06-2009, 08:32.

Comment

i hate shaving and try and make it as quick as possible

plus i've got sensitive cheeks and i can't use the 3 bladed razors and if i do i come out in spots

so i've got Gillette shaving foam (red can no fragrance)
              and i have to use eBay to get myself the sensor razors, even the excell razors are too much for my skin

i always seem to get a rash on the left hand side of my neck after 5 days continuous shaving

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                i always seem to get a rash on the left hand side of my neck after 5 days continuous shaving
                There's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                  There's your problem.
                  i'm afraid in my job i have to shave every day or somebody with gold on their shoulders will take huge delight in shouting at me

when i sail for 5 months next year to the states i'm going to request to stop shaving

Comment

I'm so manly I'm like Homer Simpson and have a stubble again within minutes of shaving!

I've stopped being too fussy as nature has deemed me to have a perma-stubble. I wet shave every day, but still look like I haven't for several.

After showering, I use King of Shaves gel and Gillette Fusion. If I remember afterwards, I put on some moisturiser that the wife badgers me to use.

I'm a bit sceptical of all this "technology" for shaving. They just want you to buy all their latest (more expensive) kit. I heard a rumour in Economics at school that Gillette own a formula for a cream to stop stubble growth, but they make more money on blades so it's hidden in their secret vaults hidden somewhere under the Nevada desert.

I made up the secret vault bit, but it won't be long before we're shaving with one of these:

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
                      Don't even talk to me about electric razors as they're just utter rubbish.

Comment

I'm a fan of the electric razor. I only shave the neck bit and the tash area as I sport a pleasing fisherman/amish style chin strap!

Comment

I use a Gillette Fusion razor as I found that Wilkinson Sword never seemed to cut close enough & felt a bit scrapey, & I use Gillette Fusion Hydra Gel for sensitive skin.

My routine:

1.Warm to hot water on my face to loosen the pores & allow the hair to protrude more which will give a closer shave when the pores retract
                          2. I have a shaving cup which I fill with hot water & leave my razor in while I'm lathering
                          3. Lather up the gel, rubbing into my hands 1st then gently rubbing into my face in a circular motion
                          4. Shave with the grain on my face, dipping the razor into the cup of hot water to rinse (hot water always removes all shaving scum from the razor so u always shave with a clean blade)
                          5. After shaving I just throw cold water on my face as its the best thing u can use to close the pores, doesnt sting & doesnt cost u a penny, which was an old tip I got from the M*A*S*H film!!

I use the same routing when shaving my melon.

I used to use this for my face/head which was good, if a little greasy, & kept cuts/rash down to a minimum: https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=80
                          Its expensive tho & you'll get it thru it pretty fast as u have to use a lot of it, & I find that Gillette Fusion does the job as well.
                          Last edited by EDDIE M0NS00N; 24-06-2009, 11:33.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
                            Don't even talk to me about electric razors as they're just utter rubbish.
                            I'm a electric-shave-in-the-shower guy. Before that I was a mix of wet shave, electric shave, but since I got this 5 and a half years ago (and still going strong!), I'd never go back.

Amazon link

It uses the Nivea Coolskin sachets, I only use the sensitive skin one (as I get nasty razor burn on my neck, no matter what shaving implement I use), as the "cool fresh gel" one irritates my neck.

The sachets are about 3.99 quid for 4 and one sachet will last me for about 10-15 shaves. The battery lasts me 2-3 weeks between charges and takes 55 mins to fully recharge from flat.

Best 100 quid I've ever spent.

I'll admit I'm not a hairy mediterranean type (no offence intended to macho mediterranean types ), thus my stubble doesn't grow really quickly nor dull up the blades in record time. I buy new blades and foils every 18 months (about 20 quid).

Shaving in the shower also means that it's easy to clean, i.e I turn the shower back on to wash it out. No annoying brushing and tapping needed.
                            Last edited by gunrock; 24-06-2009, 12:39.

Comment

Before shower or after? hot water or cold.

So many questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X