Appreciating Burt Reynolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appreciating Burt Reynolds

With all the stars that have been dying recently, maybe it's time to celebrate the great man's films, while he is still alive.

Smokey & The Bandit

Bandit Trans Am

Isn't this thread a little bit like tempting fate? Poor Burt, we're trying to kill him!

and yes I know that's Sean Connery

Comment

I showed my 11y old son Smokey & The Bandit a couple of months back, he thought it was brilliant, Burt was good but Jackie Gleason did steal the show a bit.

Comment

I havent seen Deliverance properly but I reckon he was never better than in Mean Machine AKA The Longest year 70's original

Comment

Boogie Nights. Great film with a stellar turn by Burt and quite possibly the only film Marky Mark has been decent in.

Deliverance is a bit overrated imo. Its a good film and very watchable but its not brilliant. I think the only reason it gets as much hype as it does is due to the "squeal like a pig" rape scene.

Sharkeys Machine wasn't bad

Comment

Hustle is a great film.

Comment

Turd Ferguson

Comment

I thought he was great as God in a season 9 episode of the X-Files waaay back.

Comment

Comment

He's fantastic in that godawful movie with Demi Moore about the stripper. Made it well worth watching. The scene where he's covered in vaseline in his cowboy boots is hilarious. There's some line I can't remember but it's along the lines of - I don't care what you do as long as you're nekked.

He made a crap film entertaining.

Comment

He was very good in Atlantic City, the best of Louis Malle's American films.

Comment

I liked him till he said Boogie Nights was crap

Comment

Another vote for the longest yard 1974 and the cannonball run for the cheesy music

Comment

Turd Fergueson=brilliance!
                            All the Celebrity Jeopardy episodes with Norm McDonald as Burt are awesome:
                            "Who is...Scooby Doo?"
                            Played him (essentially) again in My Name is Earl too.

I love Burt. He was my hero growing-up. He ended up doing some very poor films later in his career BUT Deliverance, The Longest Yard, Cannonball Run, Smokey and the Bandit and Hooper are all classics. He's great in Boogie Nights too but it's not really a 'Burt' film.

I don't think there's anyone really like him anymore. He was a tough guy AND funny. I think Bruce Willis at his best is close, but not as good.
                            Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

If anyone can remember Burt Reynolds was on the Johnny Carson show the night ski jumper Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards was on, must have been 1988.

Burt has said he was offered the lead in the 1983 movie Terms Of Endearment, but turned it down to do Stroker Ace because he promised a buddy. Jack Nicholson (2nd choice) went on to win an Academy Award for his role as a washed up astronaut in Terms Of Endearment and the rest is history.

Stroker Ace (1983) - includes Ford Thunderbird & Lonnie Anderson (batteries sold separately

Comment

Working...
                              X