PDA

View Full Version : Champions League 2009/2010

Flabio
07-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Final qualifying round draw has been made, and look what it's thrown up.

Arsenal v Celtic.

Hohoho...

Kongster
07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
The battle of Britian ho ho ho indeed :D

abigsmurf
07-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Awful draw, if Arsenal win, people wouldn't be bothered, if Celtic win, they'll never hear the end of it.

Amusing though.

Matt
07-08-2009, 06:45 PM
LOL. Very true :)

abigsmurf
27-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Draw time!

Any unseeded but strong teams to worry about?

*edit*

Real Madrid aren't seeded. erk

Flabio
27-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Wolfsburg. German champions. In pot 4. Be afraid.

hudson
27-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Man U get bye agains! lol

Flabio
27-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Seriously, you write off Wolfsburg at your peril. They're only in pot 4 because they've never qualified for Europe before. They're one of those teams where a millionaire has walked into some tiny lower division side and just poured cash in until they're top of the league.

Liverpool's is doable, Arsenal's looks like a cake walk, and Chelsea will be a bit miffed, they probably have the toughest one of the English sides.

C'
27-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Arsenal and Liverpool defnitely look to have to have got the easiest draws of the 4 English sides. For Arsenal I think AZ Alkmaar will be their toughest match. Could be an unknown quantity.

I was quite confident about Man Utd's group (although mid-week travels to Russia and Turkey are never ideal) but as Flabio said, Wolfsburg could be a real wildcard in that group. They're not German champions for nothing. Would think qualification is still possible but wouldn't be surprised if we didn't walk out top of the group.

Chelsea have definitely got it hardest of the English sides. Porto and Atletico Madrid are both capable of giving them a good game and whilst again I expect Chelsea to go through, they could definitely have got an easier passage to the knockout stages.

Rangers have probably got it easy as they could have hoped for really. They've got a chance but I predict 3rd place for them.

The real glamour ties have actually been drawn in the groups with no British teams. SOme really good matchups to look forward to.

MisterBubbles
27-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Here's the full list

A:Bayern Munich, Juventus, Bordeaux, Maccabi Haifa
B: MANCHESTER UNITED,CSKA Moscow, Besiktas, Wolfsburg
C:AC Milan, Real Madrid, Marseille, FC Zurich
D: CHELSEA,FC Porto, Atletico Madrid, APOEL
E: LIVERPOOL,Lyon, Fiorentina, Debrecen
F:FC Barcelona, Inter Milan, Dinamo Kiev, FC Rubin Kazan
G:Sevilla, RANGERS,Stuttgart, Unirea
H: ARSENAL,AZ Alkmaar, Olympiakos, Standard

Man Utd should cruise it , Rangers have a chance and group F death group already

buster_broon
27-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Man Utd should cruise it , Rangers have a chance of europa league football and group F death group already

fixed

MisterBubbles
27-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Re Fixed
Man Utd should cruise it , Rangers have a chance of WINNING the Champions league and group F death group already.
nice work buster even made me chuckle.
p.s can't resist this 1 , we have more chance of winning it than Celtic :thumb:

buster_broon
27-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Re Fixed
Man Utd should cruise it , Rangers have a chance of WINNING the Champions league and group F death group already.
nice work buster even made me chuckle.
p.s can't resist this 1 , we have more chance of winning it than Celtic :thumb:

thats even funnier

just to change it again We've won it one more time that Rangers

touche i think you will find

abigsmurf
27-08-2009, 06:09 PM
I'd expect Chelsea to go through but two decent teams kinda reflects our typical Champions league luck. No doubt if we're through we'll get Liverpool, Barcelona and Man U sin some order.

Must suck more to be FC Rubin Kazan though. Talk about a group from hell.

neoboy259
27-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I'd expect Chelsea to go through but two decent teams kinda reflects our typical Champions league luck. No doubt if we're through we'll get Liverpool, Barcelona and Man U sin some order.

If you wanna win the Champions League you will have to face, and beat, the best teams at some point.

Flabio
27-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Exactly, there's no easy way through for this trophy anymore. I do love my team (Forest) and love that we won it two years running, but to win it in the current format needs so much more ability than it's ever needed before.

abigsmurf
28-08-2009, 07:22 AM
If you wanna win the Champions League you will have to face, and beat, the best teams at some point.

I know, we just seem to play against the same teams every year. Just look at the number of times we've played liverpool and barcelona. No worries against going against good sides, we've shown that we can equal or outmatch any side in Europe, I just like a bit of variety.

That said, I think if 3-4 English teams make it to the semis again this year, UEFA will act in one of three ways : lower the number of teams to 3, removing the country protection or only having one or two seeded teams. They made it perfectly clear last year they didn't want an all English final again.

Kongster
20-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Most surprising result in today's matches was at the Nou Camp where Barcelona lost 2-1 to Rubin Kazan. Liverpool slumped to another defeat but until it's mathematically impossible for them to qualify for the next phase, no one should write them off just yet...

The pick of tomorrow's games will see the two most successful teams in the history of the European Cup face off against each other - Real Madrid vs AC Milan. Should be interesting, not least for Kaka.

Flabio
21-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Did you see the goals in that one? Some stunning stuff.

9cZh2vG_4DA

EJG1980
21-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Madrid vs Milan turned into a great match in the second half. Great to see Ronaldinho put in a good performance again and Milan deserved the win in the end. Nice to see the old guard can still turn it on :)

Flabio
04-11-2009, 08:45 PM
So, while Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea are making light work of their groups, the other glamour sides in Europe are having a far harder time of it.

Barcelona only took 1 point from their two games against the Russian champions Rubin Kazan, that group is still wide open with any of the four teams able to take it.

And Milan, Real and Marseille are contesting a very close group as well.

Seville are through, I think Bordeaux might be (dont have their head to head record handy, so not sure if Bayern can overhaul them or not). Porto are through, they're in Chelsea's group and that ones basically over.

abigsmurf
04-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Barcelona's groups is insanely tight, anyone could go through and there's going to be at least one big side knocked out.

Flabio
24-11-2009, 03:10 PM
So, crunch time for Liverpool tonight. They should beat the Hungarians even without Torres and Babel, but I fancy Fiorentina to beat Lyon which would make the result irrelevant.

I just can't see Lyon turning up, they've already qualified and I can't see them being that fussed about whether they're playing a group winner or runner up next round given that the way some of the groups are going the 'stronger' teams are jsut as likely to be second as first.

C'
24-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Is the first/second place seeding even in effect this season? Could have sworn I read a few weeks back that there is only country protection going to be in place for the next round.

SharkSkin-Man
24-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Yes it is.

Last year Lyon came second, drew Barca in the knockout round and got a bit of a battering. Hopefully they'll want to avoid the same thing happening again and go for a positive result.

Fiorentina lost at home to Parma last time out too, so hopefully they aren't in the best of form.

abigsmurf
24-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Not good for Liverpool at half time. I get the impression Lyon and Fiorentina would quite happily end the game at 1-0. Neither team seemed to work very hard once the first goal went in.

VR46
24-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Yep you need some seriously rose-tinted glasses to think we're going to make the next round. Europa Cup here we come. Sad, but true.

abigsmurf
24-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Incidentally, What's liverpools fans thoughts on if they go to the Europa? Put a youth team in it and concentrate on next year's qualification? Go for the win and play a first team squad in it?

Most rank lower than the Carling Cup for a team that never usually has to play in it.

hudson
24-11-2009, 07:53 PM
True. Having to hope a team does you a "favour" is just pants. I don't expect to get through at all.

Europe league team? Nah, don't force players in, but defo start playing Aquilani if he's fit. Play to win I hope.

Flabio
25-11-2009, 08:01 AM
For a team as strong as Liverpool the Europa is very winnable. Shame you won't get to play Everton in it though, they've been tonked by just about everyone they've come up against so far :)

hudson
25-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Man U, you're doing it wrong (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpB3RjG9Ik) ;)

Flabio
18-12-2009, 08:50 AM
The Champions League first knockout round draw, followed by the Europa knockout draw, kicks off at 11am today. Beckham says he wants to draw Man U...

Kongster
18-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I'd happily take AC Milan in the next round.

EJG1980
18-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Looks like you got your wish! Beckham back at Old Trafford :)

Chelsea vs Inter too, just had to happen, Jose back to Chelsea and Carlo vs his former big city rivals.

Kongster
18-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Hehe

But yeah it'll be good too see Beckham again, and I'm sure he'll get a good reception when he returns to Old Trafford. I don't think neither ourselves or Chelsea should be too worried about the Milanese clubs to be honest

Full draw
VfB Stuttgart v Barcelona
Olympiakos Piraeus v Girondins Bordeaux
Inter v Chelsea
Bayern Munich v Fiorentina
CSKA Moscow v Sevilla
Olympique Lyon v Real Madrid
Porto v Arsenal
AC Milan v Manchester United

EJG1980
18-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Bayern Munich v Fiorentina looks like it might be the best match from an all guns blazing attacking football perspective. Lyon vs Madrid shouldn't be bad either. Hopefully I haven't just cursed them both!

abigsmurf
18-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Another suspicious example of UEFA getting the best possible outcome for generating income. Man U vs Beckham, Chelsea vs Mourinho. No real giants vs giants outside of those.

I know I'm paranoid but the events leading up to the "dream final" last year have left a scar which will probably stay for a long long time.

Nu-Eclipse
18-12-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't think neither ourselves or Chelsea should be too worried about the Milanese clubs to be honest.

Man Utd's recent record against AC Milan in the Champions' League isn't impressive at all, and the Rossoneri are playing pretty well at present.

Personally, I think that AC Milan have more chance of getting a result against Man Utd than Inter do against Chelsea.

Kongster
18-12-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm not saying it'll be easy and Indeed our record against Milan in recent years hasn't exactly been great, but records are there to be broken. I just don't think the current Milan team is as good as the ones we faced in the past, however well the current side may be playing.

And if the likes of Zurich and Palermo can beat them on their own turf, that gives us more than a bit of hope.

EJG1980
09-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Anyone watching the Fiorentina vs Munich game? One of the best games I've seen this season, 3-2 to Fiorentina at the mo, 4-4 on aggregate.

C'
10-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Wonder what the ramifications of the Real result will be in the morning.

Unbelievable result for Lyon.

EJG1980
10-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Bye bye Pellegrini? Six years in a row they've gone out in the first knockout round now, nice to see money doesn't always come out on top. Although money will still come out on top, just slightly less money than Madrid :)

Flabio
11-03-2010, 08:57 AM
About time Lyon showed some form, they've been there or thereabouts for years now.

EJG1980
11-03-2010, 09:27 AM
The quarter final seems to be their glass ceiling, I think they've fallen at that stage several times in the last eight or nine seasons. If they can get a favourable draw maybe they can finally get past it. Going undefeated against Real, who have been in great form recently, is a brilliant result.

Kongster
11-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Most expensive squad in the Champions League boasting real top quality players in just about every position come unstuck (yet again) at this stage of the competition? Absolutely chuckle worthy lol.

What's also funny is that the Bernaneu will be hosting the Final. Barcelona will be lapping this up.

Nu-Eclipse
11-03-2010, 05:48 PM
What's also funny is that the Bernaneu will be hosting the Final. Barcelona will be lapping this up.

Especially if they get there AND win it. Guardiola's (already monstrous) legend status at the club would go to absolutely ridiculous levels.

fatbatch
16-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Well done Inter - finished one at last.

abigsmurf
19-03-2010, 10:16 AM
straight forward draw for Man U who should easily make the final, worst possible draw for Arsenal.

Inter Milan v CSKA Moscow

Arsenal v Barcelona

Bayern Munich v Manchester United

Lyon v Bordeaux

then

Inter/CSKA Moscow v Arsenal/Barcelona

Bayern/Man United v Lyon/Bordeaux

merf
19-03-2010, 10:22 AM
oh no, Barca then Inter !

would be a good way to win it though then stick it to Utd in final.

oddly I think Barca could be doable for us, they'll come and say lets have a game of football and won't be out to clatter us off the park like half the thuggish northern prem teams do.

can't wait as could be a great couple of matches.

C'
19-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Man Utd v Barcelona final again then?

Malavon
19-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Quite glad we face Barcelona now to be honest. It's likely that we'd have had to play them at the final anyway and this way if we win, we have the belief and confidence to beat inter and what you'd think will be United, but even if we lose all that means is we can focus on winning the EPL - something we still have a decent chance of doing.

Bit annoying that Utd get the two easiest matches and we get the two hardest, but there you go.

abigsmurf
19-03-2010, 10:32 AM
oh no, Barca then Inter !

would be a good way to win it though then stick it to Utd in final.

oddly I think Barca could be doable for us, they'll come and say lets have a game of football and won't be out to clatter us off the park like half the thuggish northern prem teams do.

can't wait as could be a great couple of matches.

If you try to play 'beautiful' football against them, I'd predict similar style games to last year's final where Man U never looked in it. You beat teams like Barcelona by tight marking and not giving them them room.

The second you give them room, you not only let them play how they want but every tackle they'll go down looking for a foul (and most of the time getting them).

merf
19-03-2010, 10:32 AM
just checked dates and 1st legs are 30/31st March with 2nd only a week later, can't wait.

very spawny draw for Utd but Bayern fans will ensure a decent atmos after the 99 final

think we are a better 'pure' footy team than Utd (with other weaknesses of course). Messi seems on fire but I don't rate Ibra or Alves that much, Xavi & Iniesta though are pretty tasty. I make Barca favourites but think we are close-ish and can do them

EJG1980
19-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Ibra was on fire for Barca at the start of the season, really making a mockery of those who said Barca were mad to swap him for Eto'o (especially with Eto'o struggling for form at Inter) but he's tailed off over the last two months.

Great draw for Man U. Bayern look the toughest of those three on paper but I thought they were very lucky to get past Fiorentina so I'd expect Man Utd to beat them.

Shozuki
19-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Bring on Barca! Tough game and the odds are against us - but it should a great game to watch, On our day we'll beat anyone!

Flabio
19-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Bayern are hardly a pushover, they have the best record in this seasons tournament.

Tenner on Lyon to make the final?

glazza
19-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Tough Draw for the Red Devils but an exciting one all the same and at least the game wont be short on atmosphere after 99,and i agree with HumanEnergy in that i thought Bayern were lucky to get past Fiorentina but that dont mean for one second Fergie will be under estimating the Germans one bit and this one realy will be too close to call, and with players like Robben n Ribery on both flanks it will make for a real fast paced open game and we UTD fans will be in for the familiar rollercoaster of a tie and i feel away goals might just be the key.

G.

Prototype
19-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Bayern are hardly a pushover, they have the best record in this seasons tournament.

Tenner on Lyon to make the final?

Bayern struggled to get out their group and did it in the last game. So I doubt they have the best record.

Nice to see Henry returning against Arsenal. Barca are much more beatable over two legs than one match.

samanosuke
19-03-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't rate Ibra or Alves that much

I'm pretty sure that Bar?a fans wouldn't rate Bendtner or Clichy that much either ;)

I know, I know... you're just trying to keep positive... fair play.

EJG1980
19-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Bayern struggled to get out their group and did it in the last game. So I doubt they have the best record.

Yup, Bordeaux comfortably won that group with Bayern and Juve both scrapping over the second place some distance behind. They then snuck past Fiorentina on away goals after some extremely dodgy decisions in the first leg of the match helped them out big time.

Of course they're not easy and on their day they can be great, and they've found some excellent form in the league over the past few months, but I still think they're the best of the "big name teams" to be drawn against.

Now watch them beat Man U 3-0 in both legs ;)

Malavon
19-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Now watch them beat Man U 3-0 in both legs ;)

We can hope ;)

SharkSkin-Man
19-03-2010, 02:43 PM
What's the biggest ever aggregate score at this stage of the competion? Can see United winning by 6 or 7.

nakamura
19-03-2010, 04:02 PM
I hate to say it but I can see Arsenal getting thumped. Really like them but to close Barcelona out they will need to adopt a style I have never seen them play.

fatbatch
19-03-2010, 04:12 PM
They won the FA Cup (penalties) by stifling United - I hope they don't succeed again.

samanosuke
29-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Didn't know ehere to stick it as there's no La Liga thread but did anyone see Ibra's back-pass against Mallorca on Saturday?

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2010/03/28/ibrahimovic-plays-a-very-literal-back-pass

fatbatch
31-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Come on Barca - need something after last night's woes.

abigsmurf
31-03-2010, 06:04 PM
But surely you should be supporting any English side in the competition!!!

yes I hate people who say that too

nakamura
31-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Didn't know ehere to stick it as there's no La Liga thread but did anyone see Ibra's back-pass against Mallorca on Saturday?

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2010/03/28/ibrahimovic-plays-a-very-literal-back-pass

yeah amazing. Reminds me of when Ronaldinho was there.

fatbatch
31-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Any late predictions?

0-0 in London, 2-1 in Milan.

ezee ryder
31-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Since when did Barcelona play in Milan? ;)

fatbatch
31-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Next round I hope.

hudson
31-03-2010, 07:01 PM
My goodness, Barca are going at it hammer and tongs. Almunia diving in his goal constantly, making saves along the way lol.

merf
31-03-2010, 07:11 PM
lets hope we rope-a-doping them, doubt it though

Adrock
31-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I hate the commentary from ITV. Barcelona have taken on an almost mystical form according to some of the bull**** they're spouting.

I think Arsenal might nick a goal, on the counter they are stretching barca quite well. Tis a shame they dont have Van Persie fit because Bendtner doesnt have the required attributes to help catch Barca on the break.

Ah well, second half I can look forward to listening to even more rubbish from the ITV twonks.

edit : And why the hell isn't Edgar wearing his funky shades? He looks strange without them.

merf
31-03-2010, 07:45 PM
barca do look vulnerable at the back but no way we can hold out against this for another 45, its what we do to teams and they always get knackered late on under the constant pressure.

said it before but Ibra is just a high end Bendtner,world class my arse.

nintastic
31-03-2010, 07:59 PM
and then Ibra scores ! :D

mr_sockochris
31-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Twice :p

nintastic
31-03-2010, 08:00 PM
And again ...........

merf
31-03-2010, 08:37 PM
a brilliant game of football played in exactly the right way.

we got totally battered but somehow stuck in there and got right back in. can'tsay it was deserved but in many ways that match was a mirror image of how arsenal usually dominate a team but dont put them away.

2nd leg wil be interesting, they got both CBs missing, we got Fabs out.

C'
31-03-2010, 08:41 PM
For 70 minutes Barcelona gave Arsenal a schooling in exhibition football. They were just totally dominating the play and I felt like the tie was going to be all over before the return leg.

Then Walcott comes on and Barca seem to panic. Was quite amazing to see as they didn't appear to know what to do to deal with

I still favour Barcelona to go through ( 2 away goals is a massive advantage) but Arsenal are still on it which is more than I felt 30 minutes ago.

Get the impression Fabregas is going to be joining Rooney on the sidelines for a weeks to judging from his limping after the penalty. Chelsea must be rubbing their hands with glee this week.

teenagewasteland
31-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Am I the only one who thought the sending off and penalty were a nonsense? In my eyes Fabregas kicks Puyol between the legs and falls over while he is still looking the other way. (Red tinted spectacles off before answering this please!)
A great game of football though.

Sam The Man
31-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Since when did Barcelona play in Milan? ;)

I think he was talking about the Inter Milan vs Stuttgard match.

merf
31-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Wenger looked furious post match in the interview, he knew what just happened and how we dodged a real humiliation by skin of our teeth.

Barca had 65% possession away from home, they were awesome but didn't finish it off, if they don't go thru opnly got themselves to blame.

Brilliant game.

C'
31-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Am I the only one who thought the sending off and penalty were a nonsense? In my eyes Fabregas kicks Puyol between the legs and falls over while he is still looking the other way. (Red tinted spectacles off before answering this please!)
A great game of football though.

I thought it was generous too but after seeing an even harsher red card for Fletcher last season, nothing surprises me.

toythatkills
31-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Definite penalty. Whether intentional or not, Puyol stopped a guaranteed shot so it had to be a penalty. And a goal scoring opportunity, I suppose, so the red was warranted too, even if it looked a bit harsh.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that was an awesome game of football.

nakamura
31-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Definite penalty. Whether intentional or not, Puyol stopped a guaranteed shot so it had to be a penalty. And a goal scoring opportunity, I suppose, so the red was warranted too, even if it looked a bit harsh.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that was an awesome game of football.

Think that is about right. Puyol may not have meant it but he didn't play the ball and stopped the man. Very tough decision.

merf
31-03-2010, 09:46 PM
I thought Puyol was being an old pro, he knew he was making contact so threw his arms up to look innocent, red was harsh though

can only see one winner though next week as fabs is out and we not same without him

Adrock
31-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Never a penalty imo. Very harsh.

Also, Ibrahimovich as a higher class Bendtner? Get outta town! He showed exactly why Barca spent what they did on him, he'll score again next time round. Superb performance.

merf
31-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Ibra is a high class bendtner, care to mention the 5,6 7 chances he missed in first half

I don't rate him as top class or alvez, both decent enough but not world class.

abigsmurf
01-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Arsenal were outclassed that match, the scoreline was very flattering to them. If that was the kind of domination they managed away from home, it doesn't bode well for the second leg at all.

samanosuke
01-04-2010, 08:26 AM
That was the finest example of football I've ever seen. I never saw the 1970 Brazil but I'd imagine they played the way Bar?a did last night. Can't believe Arsenal managed to keep the tie open but Bar?a have faltered away from home this season. They will most likely be even stronger in the second leg. Amazing game, though. I'm still stunned.

abigsmurf
01-04-2010, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't give them that much credit really, I think a lot of Barcelona's display was down to Arsenal playing in the wrong style. They thought they'd have the space to do their passing and that Barcelona wouldn't press too hard for a win.

The Man U and Chelsea games have shown that Arsenal can't perform under physical pressure and where Man U and Chelsea decided to let the defence be the ones to get physical, Barcelona were able to do it with their mid field hence why they could string attack after attack.

nakamura
01-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Yeah if it was that good a display they would have won the game. Arsenal had many chances too which they did well to create. Sure Barca were outstanding at times but they look just a vulnerable.

samanosuke
01-04-2010, 09:05 AM
I wouldn't give them that much credit really, I think a lot of Barcelona's display was down to Arsenal playing in the wrong style.

It had nothing to do with Barcelona's ability to retain possession, then?

Yeah if it was that good a display they would have won the game.

And indeed they would have done had the referee not decided that Fabregas kicking Puyol warranted an Arsenal penalty.

nakamura
01-04-2010, 09:11 AM
But they didn't and it was a penalty. Arsenal had their chances also. Barca looked very shakey a fair few times. Sure they are outstanding but they look beatable.

Jebus
01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
And indeed they would have done had the referee not decided that Fabregas kicking Puyol warranted an Arsenal penalty.

Indeed.

If I didn't know better I'd say there were some heavy "English blinkers" on. Barcelona absolutely schooled Arsenal at their own game for heavy portions of the match, and were it not for a hilariously bad decision, the game would have ended 1-2, which would have been the correct score on the basis of play.

Moreover, a team managed by the man who constantly bad mouths people for hard tackling against his players seemed to get quite a few bookings and make some rather nasty tackles themselves. Mind you, apparently only Wenger gets to say what is malicious and what is accidental.

I didn't get to see the papers today, but I'd bet they talked about the incredible Arsenal comeback and fabulous Fabregas, and not poor Puyol, who was not only robbed of a penalty but now missed the return leg.

I don't expect Arsenal to go through though, so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme.

Ibrahimovic showed why he's rated and why he's chastised. Put away two good goals on the big stage (finally!) and missed a handful of easier chances.

One of the finest matches I've seen in ages though, absolutely wonderful to watch for the neutral.

saturn-gamer
02-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Actually Holland 1974 played like this, its called Total football. Which means a lot of switching, defenders who join the offensive and also lay constant pressure. Its only possible with a perfectly balanced squad that understands eachother. Ironically, Arsenal is credited for playing total football as well. But, they just have much less quality than a team like Barcelona. Its not only Messi, I think that Dani Alves is the best right back in the world at this moment, edging out Maicon. I'm extremely impressed by his performances. Xavi is awesome as well as is Iniesta when he's in.

Valdes is probably the weakest link in this squad, or Maxwell who was too slow and only passed back.

Barcelona might look beatable but with 2-2 Barcelona are still moral winners. Arsenal basically has to beat Barcelona at Camp Nou.

This score does not show the actual difference in quality, Barcelona really just forgot to score a goal or 3, 4 in the first half. They kept Arsenal alive.

teenagewasteland
06-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Inter just won the most one sided quarter final I've ever seen. Looking forward to Arsenal Barca now. Hoping it'll be total football as a neutral!

abigsmurf
06-04-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm actually hoping for 80% football, 20% women's beach volleyball as a neutral.

Jebus
06-04-2010, 07:15 PM
The Sky commentary is disgustingly biased...

abigsmurf
06-04-2010, 07:24 PM
yep.

But then, when Chelsea played Barcelona last year they kept going about how great it'd be for there to be a 'Dream Final' (ie Chelsea to lose).

That aside, Barcelona have been bad overall and are diving all over the place. The difference between the sides is undoubtedly Messi.

Jebus
06-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Andy Gray "The noise says it all".

The silence from Andy Gray said it all.

Messi, oh my ****ing God what a player.

The amazing thing, before he shot, he looked to his right to see if he could play someone in, the intelligence...astounding.

I suppose Barcelona have been bad by their standards, but they are missing both centre backs, Iniesta, Ibrahimovic. Both teams are missing very important players.

I think Walcott has done what he always does, give hope in one match from the bench and start the next and look poor again. I feel bad for Arsenal at losing Fabregas, because he is a stunning player as well, but as I said, both teams are missing key players.

Not gonna comment on the diving other than to say, what goes around comes around.

I might sound mental here, but if Arsenal can keep the scoreline as it is, I don't think it's over. We've seen that Arsenal can score twice against Barca in 45 minutes, so although it looks over, I'm not putting any money down.

teenagewasteland
06-04-2010, 07:36 PM
The boy's a bit good.

C'
06-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Arsenal are in danger of this being a rugby score.

Messi is damn near unplayable.

abigsmurf
06-04-2010, 07:39 PM
I think today will put to rest the Rooney vs Messi debates. I will say though that he really should have some more aggressive, tight marking than he's receiving.

Arsenal aren't out of it though, they 'only' need 2 goals and Barcelona haven't been astounding elsewhere.

Jebus
06-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Rooney for me is one of the top players in the world, there's only a few I'd rather have in my team, Messi is one of them.

Comparisons are made with Maradonna, rightly I feel, but goodness me the age of the boy...it's scary to think how good he could get still!

abigsmurf
06-04-2010, 07:45 PM
There are some big examples of players that looked utterly amazing burning out at a young age. The Brazillian Ronaldo, peaked incredibly early and faded.

fatbatch
06-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Messi seems to have a good attitude though - barring injury there should be a decade of brilliance to come.

For tonight, I hope Barcelona don't ease off like last week.

EJG1980
06-04-2010, 08:00 PM
It's more often players from Brazil that fade after an amazing first half of their career. Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Adriano..

Funny how Gray is talking like Barca are a one man team now, especially after last week when he mentioned how quiet Messi had been. Stupid too when Barca put together amazing passing moves involving half the team, but it's all just Messi. Clearly he is the best in the world at the mo though, stunning display.

Nu-Eclipse
06-04-2010, 08:06 PM
The Brazillian Ronaldo, peaked incredibly early and faded.

To be fair to the Brazillian Ronaldo, it was more a case of very serious knee injuries nearly putting paid to his career moreso than peaking early and fading. He scored, what, 40-odd goals in a stunning debut season at Inter, iirc?

Ronaldinho would be more fitting for your argument, surely? Incredible at Barcelona in the mid-2000s, before fading badly due to off-field excess and a hugely disappointing 2006 World Cup.

abigsmurf
06-04-2010, 08:20 PM
It's possible they've turned down the mics but there is no atmosphere at this game.

Sam The Man
06-04-2010, 08:35 PM
I am a Man UTD fan and obviously a huge lover of Wayne Rooney but i have to say after watching him this past month and now watching him tonight against a good Arsenal side who he has made look silly at times i have to hold my hands up and say not only is Lionel Messi the most exciting and in form player on the planet but one of the finest players i have ever watched.

SharkSkin-Man
06-04-2010, 09:11 PM
To be fair to the Brazillian Ronaldo, it was more a case of very serious knee injuries nearly putting paid to his career moreso than peaking early and fading. He scored, what, 40-odd goals in a stunning debut season at Inter, iirc?

And even as a chubster with two dodgey knees he was still an excellent player, his goal scoring record at Real Madrid is 83 in 127 league games, which is world class.

prinnysquad
06-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Chubster, lol.

I always laugh when I think of Messi. It dates back to Forza 2, when in the auction rooms I came across a really nice car with a super Barcelona decal on it. The badge was on, nicely done, and a load of player names plastered around.

Including that famous wonderkid:

Messy

Jebus
06-04-2010, 10:11 PM
It's possible they've turned down the mics but there is no atmosphere at this game.

They turned the mics down, it was done just before kick-off and quite obvious when they did it.

Messi is the best in the world, his fourth was insanely good but the run he made before where he didn't score...if he had, it might have been one of the greatest goals of all time. I agree with Sam, I've seen an awful lot of players including Maradonna et al, but goodness me, Messi is truly something to behold.

I love watching Barca, always have to be honest, but they out-Arsenal'd Arsenal! They were immense and I can't see anyone else winning but them now.

merf
06-04-2010, 10:56 PM
not sure the end result would have been different but would love to have seen a full strength Barca take on a full strength Arsenal.

my concern as a lover of the beautiful game is that a dour Mourinho inspired Inter could possess the tools to blunt Barca if they play like they did against Chelsea over 2 legs, I don't want to see pragmatic winners of the CL.

samanosuke
07-04-2010, 09:01 AM
The Sky commentary is disgustingly biased...

Andy Gray, following his minute's silence after Messi had scored that chip, said "You might not like it if you're a British football fan". I really have a love/hate relationship with Andy Gray because although I do find him entertaining he is just so blatantly partisan towards promoting the Premiership. I'll bet it's in his Sky contract.

Flabio
07-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Could be worse, could be Alan 'I hate everything that I didn't say' Green...

saturn-gamer
07-04-2010, 10:18 AM
As if Barcelona is only Messi... Iniesta and Xavi belong to the best midfielders in the world, better than what United has there. The same can be said about Alves and Puyol on their positions. And what about Bojan, Pedro? Own youth players.

Its Valdes who is kind of average, but still manageable.

Ronaldinho would be more fitting for your argument, surely? Incredible at Barcelona in the mid-2000s, before fading badly due to off-field excess and a hugely disappointing 2006 World Cup.

Difference between Messi and these 2 is that Messi isn't being surrounded by money hungry managers, and Messi doesn't act like a galactico. Fatboy Ronaldo was wasted in Italy after a first great season. The injury contributed to that, but he also started to lack discipline.

At Barcelona, he was absolutely brilliant. Maybe even better than Messi today.

Ronaldinho is being wasted by clubs and hookers :)

EJG1980
07-04-2010, 10:36 AM
As if Barcelona is only Messi... Iniesta and Xavi belong to the best midfielders in the world, better than what United has there. The same can be said about Alves and Puyol on their positions. And what about Bojan, Pedro? Own youth players.

No way! The passes in their intricate twenty pass moves building up to a goal are all played from Messi, to Messi. At least that's the impression Andy Gray was giving yesterday in his commentary :rolleyes:

Yeah, so, I agree with you :) Messi is a special, special player, but at one point Gray even said that Barca wouldn't be able to cope if Messi wasn't playing, which is rubbish. Take Messi out of the front three and replace him with Henry or Ibra (or any good forward) and you'd still have a team playing amazing football that was capable of winning all the top honours.

Messi is my favourite player to watch at the moment though. I love the way he dribbles through players like the ball is stuck to his fit. He goes so close to the opposition that you expect one of them to nick the ball from him but nearly every time he just slaloms through them all and comes out with the ball.

samanosuke
07-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Messi is a special, special player, but at one point Gray even said that Barca wouldn't be able to cope if Messi wasn't playing, which is rubbish.

Judging by Gray's commentary in the first leg, Messi wasn't playing during that game ;)

There's no way Barça are a one-man team. Arsenal were severely hampered by Fabregas's injury but on the same note Barça were without Iniesta. The difference is that Barcelona have two Fabregases, Xavi being the other, and this just goes to show how many truly world-class players they have in almost every position.

samanosuke
08-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Never mind Sky's biased commentary, how about Dury last night? Just after Nani's goal he proclaimed "...and Nani scores! They are through to the semi-finals!"

hudson
08-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Hang on, I've just checked on Sky Sports and it said Man Utd are out. Evil ITV commentator lies.

abigsmurf
08-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Gotta laugh at all of the hyperbolic "IT'S THE END OF BRITISH FOOTBALL" type stories being hurriedly written by the media now.

samanosuke
08-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Was there ever a beginning? Two CL winners in a decade is hardly dominance.

EJG1980
08-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Indeed, nothing like a good knee jerk reaction to try and sell a few extra papers; far too much is read into the results of a single season.

In 2002 Italy didn't have any teams in the quarter-finals, let alone the semis, but a mere year later in 2003 they had three our of four semi-finalists and an all Italian final. Every country will have good and bad years, it's no big deal, but apparently nobody will buy newspapers unless every story is dosed up with sensationalism.

Was there ever a beginning? Two CL winners in a decade is hardly dominance.

Indeed, same as Italy and apparently they're crap now :) In terms of winning it was Spain's decade, four winners. But we did have five finalists in a row (and two winners) from 05-09 which is excellent. We'd be second behind Spain if you were rating who did best in the decade.

C'
08-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Never mind Sky's biased commentary, how about Dury last night? Just after Nani's goal he proclaimed "...and Nani scores! They are through to the semi-finals!"

There isn't a facepalm big enough to deomstrate how I felt when he uttered the words:

"Head over heels and heading to the semi-finals."

That was us pretty much ****ed from there on.

abigsmurf
08-04-2010, 11:01 AM
In terms of bias it generally goes Five > ITV > Sky > BBC

Sky's is sometimes cringe worthy, Five's is comically OTT, listening to how worked up they get in the Liverpool games is amusing.

hudson
08-04-2010, 11:16 AM
I like how it annoys you. Everyone loves Liverpool deep down. Nowt wrong in an English TV channel looking to see the English side progress against a non English side.

abigsmurf
08-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Nothing especially wrong with it (except during premier league matches where bias is incredibly annoying) but it doesn't make it any less amusing.

The all time king of OTT pundits is Jonathan Pearce (although not really biased). When he did the commentary on Capital Gold, after someone scored it usually took about 30 seconds till he had quietened down enough to tell which side had scored.

Ah memories...

EJG1980
08-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I forget what match it was, but I remember Peace going mental when Chris Armstrong scored a last minute winner for Crystal Palace in a cup match back in the mid 90's. He came very close to losing his voice.

saturn-gamer
20-04-2010, 08:48 PM
So this is dead, eh? :D

Inter had a great display against Barcelona. The ref was somewhat questionable regarding the third goal and other decisions (although I didn't think Sneijder made contact with Alves), but Inter deserved it on the whole. Not Messi, but Sneijder man of the match. Maicon was really, really good too. I started to understand why Dunga prefers him instead of Alves.

Balotelli was arguing with the Nerazzurri supporters as usual :)

Adrock
20-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Maicon is superb, amazing full back. I missed pretty much the whole game, left when it was 1-1.

Cambiasso is so good too, he has been one of the most reliable central midfielders in world football for a good while. I think that away goal could be very important to the result of the tie. Barca usually do very well at home.

EJG1980
20-04-2010, 09:27 PM
It was a great match, excellent performance from Inter. Could have had a couple more with better finishing. Milito is my favourite Inter player, he's a superb forward. Looking forward to the second leg!

saturn-gamer
20-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Milito failed miserably in the first half. Although his first run on Valdes was NOT offside.

Cambiasso, I think it was him, offered himself up to Messi? He did a great job.

Jebus
21-04-2010, 06:25 AM
A very poor performance from the officials gifted Inter an offside goal and denied Barca one of two very strong penalty claims. The champions league semi final and that's the best ref the game has to offer?

That said, Barca were as poor as I've seen them in a long time, only Xavi and Pique really looked interested the entire game, Messi to me looked tired, but Inter did a number on them. Tactically they did what Barca did to Arsenal, but they also rode their luck.

Personally I think Barca will beat them convincingly at the Camp Nou still.

merf
21-04-2010, 06:45 AM
the only thing that annoys me with Barca is their constant throwing themselves to the floor, Danny Alves reaped the reward for that as everybody knows he's like Drogba on ice as soon as anybody goes near him

was interesting to see Inter do such a number on them but like you say Jebus, Jose does seem to benefit from the luck of the devil at times, though he of course will point to big games where decisions go against him (he still has the hump at the phantom liverpool goal)

perfectly sets the second leg up as in the group stages it was 2-0 to Barca at home, but I think Inter seem to have come together as a team since then, at least in Europe if not in Serie A

abigsmurf
21-04-2010, 09:02 AM
I've not got a huge amount of pity for Barcelona not getting decisions for some odd reason...

Liverpool's phantom goal aside, there was the famous incident against Barcelona when drogba went for a ball in the air, got it before the keeper and somehow got a red card (despite the ref being in the other half of the pitch and only having a view of his back)

Anyone else find the sky commentary nauseating? Andy Gray at 80 minutes and 3-1 saying stuff like 'The next goal will be the one that really changes this game' (translation: 'we will go mental if Barcelona get a goal'). Every time Messi touched the ball it sounded like one of the two commentators needed to change their underwear, no matter how mediocre the effort. It's the "ROOOONEEEEY" thing taken to the next level.

Watch Sky Sports news in the morning and they were talking about how great Barcelona were (and trotting out all the stats to back this up) and barely mentioned the fact they lost.

Jebus
21-04-2010, 09:09 AM
I just hate how patronising Gray is! I like him but "little Messi" and "little Xavi" is just horrible to hear so many times.

EJG1980
21-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Add the fact that everyone at Sky nearly always refers to how Jose is doing rather than how Inter are doing, to the list of annoyances. I especially enjoyed it when they mentioned that last year "Jose" failed to make it this far as he was knocked out by "Ronaldo" in the first knock-out round.

The only credit I'll give Gray last night was that he kept shooting down the co-commentator whenever he tried to suggest Barcelona's coach trip was an excuse for them not being at their best. A trip on a luxury coach that was split in half by an overnight stay in a luxury Caen hotel? Harrowing!

Jebus
21-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Out of interest, why did it take "24 hours" to get from Barcelona to Milan?

merf
21-04-2010, 10:23 AM
rarely have possession and passing stats hidden the reality of a game so much.

only Ibra & Abidal (a sub) completed less passes than any other Inter player on the pitch, Xavi completed nearly 100 passes.

Credit to Inter though for ensuring that this was not glorious Barca possession with end product but rather the Barca lite that us Arsenal fans are used to, all faffing, no product, then get caught on the break.

The trip had nothing to do with it, Inter did them.

Jebus
21-04-2010, 10:41 AM
I thought it was hugely telling toward the end when "little Xavi" showed his frustrations at nobody wanting the ball.

merf
21-04-2010, 10:47 AM
I thought it was hugely telling toward the end when "little Xavi" showed his frustrations at nobody wanting the ball.

I took it as dual frustration at that, and the fact every time a puff of wind knocked him or Alves off their feet they weren't getting the constant free kicks they are accustomed to.

Makes me glad that the Barca tribute band, Barsenalona, that I support didn't get thru, Inter would squash us flat on this form.

abigsmurf
21-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Awful challenge from Ribery, well deserving a red, wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the guy's ankle is broken. Ribery isn't having the easiest of times at the moment...

Boring game so far otherwise.

ezee ryder
21-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Karma, that is all. :D

EJG1980
21-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Yup, that wad a nasty one. Bayern should have been ahead, missed a few good chances, but I agree it's not that great thus far. How long is Ribery banned for, would he miss more than one match?

Anpanman
21-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Yes boring match, with or without Rooney I'm sure we'd be out of sight by now.

Adrock
21-04-2010, 08:06 PM
A straight red card is 3 games isn't it? It might be 2, but either way Ribery would miss the final. Toulalon would be a 1 game ban because its 2 yellow cards.

Tuned in just after the Toulalon red, not much going on really.

abigsmurf
21-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Not much going on the whole match other than the card.

ITV's commentary lagging by 2 or so seconds is really distracting.

Jebus
21-04-2010, 08:30 PM
It's not just me that is having the commentary lag then, phew.

saturn-gamer
21-04-2010, 08:51 PM
What the hell was wrong with that guy? The sex scandal?

But Lyon was awful, clearly aiming for a goalless draw. Even with one man up, starplayer of Bayern down, they had zero intention to go forward. Horrible team. Hope they get their draw in France.

abigsmurf
21-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Makes me miss Robben watching these games...

Poor game otherwise. The story with the 17 year old prostitute was far more interesting.

saturn-gamer
21-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Robben's a product of our local football club.

But girls usually look older, and I wouldn't really ask for an ID card too... hmm, interesting to see how that investigation will turn out.

Prototype
21-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Hoping Bayern get to the final and have their hearts broken by Barca or Inter. Just really hate that club.

abigsmurf
22-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Robben's a product of our local football club.

But girls usually look older, and I wouldn't really ask for an ID card too... hmm, interesting to see how that investigation will turn out.

Believe the age wasn't an issue in France (isn't an issue over here really unless they take some naughty pictures), it's just the soliciting a prostitute thing that could put them in trouble.

Jebus
22-04-2010, 12:17 PM
It's the other way round I believe. Prostitution is legal in France, but they have to be above age.

If he can prove he wasn't aware she was underage, he should be okay, but knowingly having sex with an underage prostitute = serious business.

abigsmurf
22-04-2010, 01:18 PM
I've seen pictures of her and all I can say is that she must be a very successful prostitute.

I so would...

provided she didn't charge and I was wearing multiple layers of protection

The interesting thing is that images of her don't show up in GIS, even with the filtering turned off, despite it showing pictures of her from news stories on the main search.

EJG1980
22-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Quite clearly TTIUWP.

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/apr2010/0/8/zahia-450-482656731.jpg

Fixed :D

Cue jokes about how she has an outstanding forward line, plays with two up top, etc..

abigsmurf
22-04-2010, 03:14 PM
She gets paid a bonus every times she scores!

She'd probably earn more money just picking a single footballer and becoming her girlfriend

saturn-gamer
22-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Probably caught in a web in that line of work, and Footballers likely don't want an ex-prostitute as a girlfriend.

I know I wouldn't, and I even aint a professional football player :)

She looks too dirty and cheap for my taste, the kind of girl you'd bag if you're being wasted on scotch. Certainly not pay for it.

abigsmurf
23-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Was the Europa league football as boring as it sounded last night?

Flabio
23-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Wasn't great. Worth watching the Atletico goal on youtube if you can find it, it's comedy gold.

I'd say Fulham will be pretty chuffed with a 0-0 away at Hamburg though.

abigsmurf
23-04-2010, 08:18 AM
You're not kidding, such a comically awful goal.

abigsmurf
27-04-2010, 08:04 PM
european refs continue to be as great as ever.

Game is all but over at Lyon. Lyon need to score 3 with 10 men in 25 mins

saturn-gamer
28-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Lyon were a disgrace.

Was already baffled that they didn't switch to offense when Bayern stood with 10 in the first leg.

Now I was baffled that those guys kept defending with a line of 4, despite being 1-0 behind in their own stadium. Cris got sent off because of his applause, its a dumb thing to do but also childish by the ref. But even with a full squad Lyon had no intention to actually win this game.

abigsmurf
28-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Man U must really be kicking themselves watching that match, they'll probably never have worse opposition to beat to make it to the final.

Hopefully tonights game will be entertaining. I'd expect Jose to make it a very tight game and try and cancel Barca out to hold on to their lead.

merf
28-04-2010, 08:43 AM
I know you can only beat who you get drawn against but Bayern have had a very nice run to the final, can't see them getting near the winner of tonights potential epic though.

I think tonight could be a classic.

Jebus
28-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Predictions tonight? I think a 3-1 scoreline might be on the cards again, penalties required to settle it.

EJG1980
28-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I'll stick my neck out and go for 2-2. I think Barca may attack so much that Inter will catch them on the break a couple if times. If you're betting, you should now bet on anything except 2-2 :)

abigsmurf
28-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Barca are a bunch of cheats. That was a yellow card at most, he caught him on the chin, the way he rolled around on the floor was embarassing to watch.

Hope Jose can hold out.

EJG1980
28-04-2010, 07:18 PM
I wanted Inter to win anyway, but after that I'd really love Inter to do them now. That really is the kind of rolling around and play acting that makes you cringe when you watch it.

nakamura
28-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Barca are a bunch of cheats. That was a yellow card at most, he caught him on the chin, the way he rolled around on the floor was embarassing to watch.

Hope Jose can hold out.

Bloody right. I had to refrain from shouting at the tv as the little one is in bed.
He even had a little look at the bench when he was down.

NemesiS
28-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Inter are getting crutch in the way of decisions here. I hope they win. Busquets needs a proper slap for way he reacted.

Half time: Just saw when he collared him near the touchline. Why didn't he just butt him and justify the red card.

EJG1980
28-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Also saw the replay of the bloke rolling around on the ground and sneakily looking through his fingers to make sure the red card was coming out, then back to the rolling around. What a cock.

NemesiS
28-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Also saw the replay of the bloke rolling around on the ground and sneakily looking through his fingers to make sure the red card was coming out, then back to the rolling around. What a cock.

Exactly, that's what makes my blood boil with some of these cheating w**kers.

prinnysquad
28-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Sometimes my initial reaction to these playacting cheats is a hope that they would suffer a truly whupsmashing challenge, something that reflected the pain their agonised writhing suggested, just to give them a taste of what they pretended was happening. That's a really unhealthy thing to hope for, but such blatant cheating and a disregard for honesty and spirit causes that quick flash of overreaction.

Diving pussy!

NemesiS
28-04-2010, 08:07 PM
I have no such qualms Prinny. Players like that need kicking up and down the pitch to remind them what a real foul is.

Also with reference to that Messi thread being the greatest ever. This is why i would rather have Rooney in my team than Messi, driving forward and chasing down lost causes when the teams running out of ideas. Messi sometimes looks lost and lacks influence when things aren't going for his team like tonight. Atm anyway :hmm:

Tbf, Inter are defending very well though.

EJG1980
28-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Superb, I'm glad Inter held on at the end there.

NemesiS
28-04-2010, 08:39 PM
:thumb::thumb:GO ON MOURINHO:thumb::thumb:

Give it the fans and cause a riot

Brilliant

ezee ryder
28-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Mourinho, hilarious. :lol:

Anpanman
28-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Inter are giving a perfect demonstration in how to defend, their back line is just that, a perfect line. No diving in and giving the opposition free kicks outside the box, keeping Barca for the most part at arms length and not caving in and going to pot - keeping their discipline when Barca scored.

Brilliant, utterly brilliant and for the purist fans a delight to watch.

NemesiS
28-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I hope Barca feel chelseas pain now after stealing it last year. Mourinho will get a ban for that for inciting the crowd i would imagine. He's a legend. I hope he comes to United as that's how to defend a lead, with 10 men and all against Europe's best :thumb:

EJG1980
28-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Seeing a team giving their all and defending with their lives is an underappreciated art.

Kongster
28-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Mourinho deserves a lot of credit for winning the tactical battle. To restrict Barcelona on their own turf to very few shots and clear chances isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination. Especially when you consider that Inter played the majority of the game with ten men.

teenagewasteland
28-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Ironic that Barca's cheating probably cost them their best chance of winning the game. As soon as Milan went down to 10 the bus well and truley came out.

vjoe
28-04-2010, 09:26 PM
It was a great match. Mourinho managed to put Bar?a in one pocket and the referee in the other.

That red card was ridiculous.

Mayhem
28-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Mourinho FTW! Admit it, we do kind of miss him in the Premier League heh... the handbags with Valdes at the end was the icing on the cake... and yeah the red card was a nonsense decision, yellow if anything at all. The expression involves the words "over", "acting", "sack" and "****"...

Ironic that Barca's cheating probably cost them their best chance of winning the game. As soon as Milan went down to 10 the bus well and truley came out.
We said that here at home while watching too... my brother decided that one newspaper should run with the headline "Cheaters Never Win" :D

Nu-Eclipse
28-04-2010, 11:04 PM
We said that here at home while watching too... my brother decided that one newspaper should run with the headline "Cheaters Never Win" :D

Yeah, of course...because English teams never cheat, do they? :rolleyes:

Inter have been worth their win over the two legs, but Barca have been fairly poor in both games, imho.

A considerable part of me is hoping that Bayern Munich beat Inter in the final...I mean, does the Footballing World really need EVEN MORE boasting and bragging from Mourinho?

Charlie
29-04-2010, 12:49 AM
I love Mourinho. The guy positively shimmers in style and charisma and I like that in people. Not forgetting he's a bloody good manager. The Premiership is a less interesting league without him, and Chelsea a weaker team. :(

But moving on, tonight's game was an example of why I'm growing disillusioned with football. The game seems increasingly about cheating, tricking and deceiving referees into influencing the result. It's reached the stage where I'm beginning to question if I can call it a sport anymore.

It needs rugby-like refereeing in my opinion where video evidence is used to make decisions and, again like in rugby, players accept decisions like men without the childish moaning, whining and referee crowding we see. Using video evidence, I think players found guilty of diving should be booked without hesitation. I don't think I saw a serious foul in tonight's match yet both sets of players were rolling around in 'virtual' agony as if they's just been struck with hammers or stabbed with sharp instruments. It's a joke. It needs stamping out.

Sam The Man
29-04-2010, 01:22 AM
I love Mourinho. The guy positively shimmers in style and charisma and I like that in people. Not forgetting he's a bloody good manager. The Premiership is a less interesting league without him, and Chelsea a weaker team. :(

Yeah totally. He is the best manager tactically in the world and alongside fergie at motivating his players. Hope he's the next UTD manager after the G.O.A.T but i think he has some years left in him yet.

NemesiS
29-04-2010, 07:01 AM
A considerable part of me is hoping that Bayern Munich beat Inter in the final...I mean, does the Footballing World really need EVEN MORE boasting and bragging from Mourinho?

Football needs exactly what Mourinho brings to the game. He's a born winner who manages to get the very best out of players. Last night was absolute masterclass in defending which has generally been a hallmark of Mourinho's style. He's arrogant, rude, impolite and a braggart, but this for me is offset by his incredible charisma and more importantly the fact he can back it all up with with a quite astonishing success rate at where ever he has been.

I reckon Chelsea fans would have him back tomorrow given the chance and Abramovich (who wll probably now realise he should have bit the bullet over that spat with him) will be turning a lovely shade of green if he bags another Champs League trophy :thumb: . What i wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall in Romans house if he does :)

I hope Inter batter the Krauts (i could never ever support Germany), and if they defend with 11 men like they did with 10, they should do okay.

merf
29-04-2010, 07:16 AM
that was a defending masterclass last night, by 2 centrebacks who were deemed not good enough for Bayer or Real Madrid.

Barca did kind of get their just desserts for diving & dodgy decisions in the past in this one.

What was so great about Inters defending is how they so rarely let Barca in around and behind them, it was all infront, even supposedly 'lazy' players like Eto & Sneider tracking back abnd hassling round the box like their life depended on it.

All well and good Xavi doing his usual hundred completed passes but none of them really hurt Inter, many were reminiscent of Ray Wilkins in his pomp.

Also that was never a straight red but he already had a yellow, 2nd yellow and off was pretty much a given.

btw, 86% possession for Barca and 555 completed passes to inters 67 !

NemesiS
29-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Yeah, the stats were incredible. I was reading them this morning and couldn't believe it. It was a complete seige.

Going back to Inter's defending though, did anyone else notice that whenever they won the ball back in defense from a Barca attack, they didn't hoof it straight out as United did against bayern. They controlled it and played it with almost total composure. I thought that the calmness under pressure they showed trying to hold the ball was amazing.

Eto + ?25m for Ibrahimavic looks a steal for Inter now as he played out of his skin helping the defense last night whcih you don't often see.

abigsmurf
29-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Mourinho has always been an incredible manager at organising defence. He's the only manager I know where you could watch a team winning 1-0 and remain confident the other team wouldn't equalise.

Would I want him back at Chelsea? Nah. His time is well over, he's a great manager but he comes at a cost. All these papers and pundits heaping praise on him now were spewing endless amounts of venom at him when he played for us (enemy of football and all that crap). Admittedly a large part of us was because Chelsea had become one of the big boys in the space of 2-3 seasons which angered all the pundits who only felt Arsenal/Man U/Liverpool should be able to get the title.

It's possible he could come back to Man U and the press would look at him as their new messiah but I'd be surprised. I'm not sure he'd come to Liverpool, I think the rivalry between Chelsea and Liverpool when he was here was too strong (although he'd no doubt relish taking Benitez' job).

saturn-gamer
29-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Glad Barca is out. Ordinary divers when a game doesn't go their way. Messi was being overprotected by the refs, Sergio's action was stomach churning.

Morattis laughing his ass off. Eto + 40 million euros. Zlatan clearly doesn't fit in a team like Barcelona, he has to be in a counter attacking squad holding the ball in possession up front. He slows the style of Barca down. They weakened themselves if anything.

Baseley09
29-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Barcelona as sore looser is awesome, it's sad, but I loved watching it.

Kongster
29-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Mourinho has had plenty of run ins with Barcelona going right back to his Chelsea days. But his antics yesterday must make him an even bigger hate figure than Luis Figo lol.

KkPbrMRcvc0

abigsmurf
29-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Perhaps if barcelona didn't shove away supporters in such a rubbish place where their view gets blocked by flare smoke , managers wouldn't have to do that.

merf
29-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I know its not confirmed but Madrid, Ronaldo, Mourinho and Florentino Perez sounds like the biggest potential soap opera and combustible drama in the history of football next season.

Kongster
29-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Mourinho was perfectly entitled to milk the moment.

His Barca baiting will go down well with the Madrid fans.

saturn-gamer
29-04-2010, 01:37 PM
He was obviously applying. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the move to Madrid this summer.

Problem though is that the Socios of Madrid demand attractive football above all else.

EJG1980
29-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Indeed, even Capello got the boot twice and he won the league title both times he was there!

Funny too as I remember some of the matches from the run in of the 06/07 La Liga season involving Madrid to be incredibly exciting. Although it was probably more the last minute winners and comebacks than the style of football :)

saturn-gamer
29-04-2010, 05:21 PM
They probably played their best football since the 50's under a nobody like Vicente Del Bosque. He didn't place himself above the players, but rather the opposite. I think thats the right thing to do with superstars, you don't have to tell and learn them anything.

That was a different Madrid though, Zidane, Figo and co. were older than a Cristiano Ronaldo who is still a young brat in reality.

The ideal coach for Real Madrid would be Guus Hiddink I think, he knows how to treat them superstars exactly right (like he supposedly did with Chelsea). Back in 1998 he joined Real at the wrong time, with a too old and over the hill squad to deal with.

By the way:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2420/1272484664010.jpg

Charlie
29-04-2010, 05:46 PM
:thumb:

Matt
29-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Lol :)

abigsmurf
29-04-2010, 06:21 PM
My pathetic contribution:

http://i40.tinypic.com/rida83.jpg

C'
29-04-2010, 07:21 PM
I take no credit for this. Saw it on Red Cafe this morning.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8496/thescreen.png

NemesiS
29-04-2010, 08:32 PM
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2420/1272484664010.jpg

Legendary :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Just sat here on my own pissing myself at that picture. I'll have to bob over to football365 as there'll be a slew of them on there.

prinnysquad
29-04-2010, 09:37 PM
If you find any dood, do a link. It takes me hours to navigate that site on the slaptop, due to the visual baggage of the site.

NemesiS
29-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Yeah i know what you mean, it moves very quickly as well. This one is pretty good:

http://forum.football365.com/index.php?t=msg&th=339557&start=0&

saturn-gamer
30-04-2010, 04:49 PM
The rumour goes that Barcelona will pick up David Villa and Ashley Young, while selling off Bojan Krkic (as Pedro surpassed him).

David Villa is on his best when hes the lone striker in a system with attacking midfielders or wingers.

Which means that Ibrahimovic has been deemed surplus already :)

Kongster
30-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Ibrahimovic is a bottler on the big stage. Surely Barca must now regret paying Inter £38M plus Samuel Eto'o for his signature?

Henry looks to be surplus to requirements.

saturn-gamer
30-04-2010, 07:55 PM
He already is.

Henry is third choice or so, behind Pedro and Bojan. And even Bojan is rumoured to leave the club (in a trade with Valencia).

Makes sense that they are willing to sign Young in that case.