A Tale Of Two Gaming Camps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Tale Of Two Gaming Camps

So, once upon a time (and I guess still today), there were two camps within gaming. There were the Consoles, a shifty bunch at best all too often given to fanboyism and prepubescent outbursts, and then there were the PCs, an overweight bunch with too much Mountain Dew on their ComiCon '86 shirts and too few female phone numbers in the ol' address book. Rarely would these groups ever interact with each other, and to say that there was an uneasy relationship between them would be putting it midly. The Consoles looked at the PCs as tech-geeks and nerds, while the PCs figured the Consoles were electronic nimrods who wouldn't know a real circuit board if it bit them on their pre-teen ass. And then there were the games... oh, the games... PCs saw their games as the pinnacle of programing. They could save whenever they wanted, upgrade as the occasion presented itself, etc. Consoles, though, knew that they had the cool games. Their games required reflexes, mental agility, and mad l33t skillz for da phat combos. Oh yes, those were wild times.

But now, the world is starting to look much different. Consoles and PCs are looking more and more alike, games are porting between them fast and furious, and developers are crossing over. People are saving games everywhere, making their own soundtracks, and playing out blistering battles totally online.

So, what are your thoughts on all this? What influnces do you see one having on the other? Will this merging continue, and is that good or bad? Dicuss..

Disclaimer: Stereotypes were made during the creation of this thread, but they were used for entertainment purposes only, and none were harmed. If anyone was offended, please remove the stick from your rear and get over it. I was kidding.

Well, although such cross-pollenation does upset some folk, I personally think it's good for both parties in the long run. There is an imbalance however, in that there won't be that many games that you see on a console which you say 'this should have been on the P.C', whereas there are a shopping cart full of average titles which you see on the P.C which spurn the comment 'this should have stayed on the consoles'.

Such judgements are not necessarily knee-jerk ones, some games just don't feel right on a console, and quick, arcade action feels, for the most part, unsuited to the P.C. The XBox, however you feel about it, has really got some people into the emulator scene, and after hearing about playing arcade-perfect ROMs and old Amiga games on it I cannot deny that I'm tempted myself.

Part of me wishes that P.Cs and consoles would keep to their own seperate spaces, as both have very specific jobs and genres that they can fufill, the purpose of which, it could be argued, becomes diluted when you started chopping and changing elements. Yet the benifits of custom soundtracks and the enticing emulator scene, coupled with easy saves on HDD with no need to keep buying overpriced memory cards, the ability to transfer any bought game completly to your console's hard-drive - thereby insuring quicker load times, are all benifits which can't be dismissed out of hand.

There's still a divide, and it's a big one, but small bridges are being built and gingerly walked upon, whether this will develop into anything larger given time....who can tell?

Comment

Working...
    X