PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jezzace
01-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Couldn't find a season thread for the gunners but think they're gonna have an interesting season so thought I'd start one.

Major news is Ashley Coles gone and William Gallas (plus ?5million) is in. Good deal in my view, because Ashley cole would've just moped all season if he stayed. He's done great for use in the past seasons but what kind of arsenal fan (which he's always said he is) would join chelsea for any other reason other then money. Gallas meanwhile is versatile at the back and Clichy looks very promising.

Also Reyes gone, Baptista in. Will be good to see if Baptista can make more of an impression then Reyes.

thebuddahman
01-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Glad someone started an Arsenal thread. I was gonna do it but couldn't be arsed in the end! :P

Anyway, I think the arrival of Gallas is fantastic. I hope he's excited about coming too as it makes all the difference in my opinion. I'm hoping he becomes a regular figure along side Kolo and he should fit in well with the large French group in the team. He's a friend of Henry I hear (who isn't!).

Glad Cole has ****ed off. The bloke can go and earn his 90k a week wages and continue to sell his pictures to Heat magazine for all I care. What happened Ashley to dedication to the club you said you loved so much?

So looking at our team now, I would say the first XII for the next game should be:

------------------ Lehmann ----------------

---- Hoyte --- Gallas --- Toure --- Eboue

Ljungberg --- Gilberto --- Fabregas --- Rosicky

------------------ Baptista --------------------

------------------- Henry ---------------

I'm not too sure on the fitness of Baptista and Gallas but it would be nice to see them start or at least play some part in the game against Middlesborough (score depending). I'm not too sure if Baptista has played much in front of the midfield but it would be interesting to see him behind Henry making it a sort of 4-4-1-1. Who knows! I don't think it's wise at the moment putting him in for Gilberto or Fabregas.

Hopefully the international games won't give us many problems in regards to injuries too.

Bleeders
01-09-2006, 01:34 PM
I reckon you guys done better out of the deal than Chelsea did personally.

Baptista and Gallas are two decent acquisitions with Baptista serving as a good folly for Henry potentially and a solid pairing of Toure/Gallas at the back.

Del Boy
01-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Couldn't find a season thread for the gunners but think they're gonna have an interesting season so thought I'd start one.

Major news is Ashley Coles gone and William Gallas (plus ?5million) is in. Good deal in my view, because Ashley cole would've just moped all season if he stayed. He's done great for use in the past seasons but what kind of arsenal fan (which he's always said he is) would join chelsea for any other reason other then money. Gallas meanwhile is versatile at the back and Clichy looks very promising.

Also Reyes gone, Baptista in. Will be good to see if Baptista can make more of an impression then Reyes.Read Sol Campbell. AKA Judas

neoboy259
01-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Glad Cole's gone tbh. Always amazed me how overated he was- yay he gets forward well, but he cant defend, and I reckon he'll struggle to nail down a regular place in Chelsea's back line.

smith
02-09-2006, 05:07 AM
I think it is a good deal for us.......we needed a quality centre back now. Even if we got ?20 million or whatever amount was being talked about would we have been able to have got hold of a decent centre back? Curtis from west brom? not proven at the highest level in my view.............

Taeko
04-09-2006, 09:08 PM
I'll personally go for this myself.

..........Lehmann
Eboue..Kolo...Gallas..Clichy
....Hleb..Gilberto..Cesc
.............Bap
......RVP........Henry

thebuddahman
04-09-2006, 09:41 PM
I'll personally go for this myself.

..........Lehmann
Eboue..Kolo...Gallas..Clichy
....Hleb..Gilberto..Cesc
.............Bap
......RVP........Henry
Clichy is still injured and Hleb will still be on international duty I believe.

I don't think Mr Wenger is going to shake up the formation and get rid of out-and-out wingers. It's not wise to suddenly go from playing wingers to putting everything down the middle through Baptista.

neoboy259
17-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Wooohooooo finally a win in the Premiership, at Old Trafford no less, and without Henry and van Persie. Hopefully we can kick on from here for a top 2 finish.

thebuddahman
17-09-2006, 05:46 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Cloud.
****ing.
NINE!

daonejoe
21-09-2006, 08:45 PM
wooooooooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooo

just found the thread im a 6 year season ticket holder and was there on sunday in manchester going crazy

also if anyones intrested i run my very own arsenal fc forum

www.arsenesarmy.com is the address

all gooners welcome

Benji
25-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Game was brilliant on saturday, great atmosphere once we scored aswell!

momobeast
25-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Now Henrys bagged one in open play - all be it a header! :wtf:

Im confident once again in our abilities ;)

momobeast
27-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Another header from Henry....Cross from Eboue was an absolute peach!!!!! Very impressed with our performance last nite, apart from RVP's sitter....Getting our momentum and confidence back now. Especially in the new stad.

Shozuki
27-09-2006, 11:12 AM
we look good again, I just wanna more of 'the beast'

momobeast
01-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Just seen the RVP wondergoal from yesterday. Absolutely awesome, and chelsea dropping points too - great Saturday!

Eboue is quality down that flank. He is putting in some great crosses lately.

Del Boy
01-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Awesome cross and easily one of the best finishes ive seen, class goal. *spits*

samar7
01-10-2006, 12:02 PM
it came of his shin the lucky bassa lol

Shozuki
01-10-2006, 01:21 PM
gorgeous - maybe im wearing rose tinted glasses, but I feel we can fight for the title!

momobeast
02-10-2006, 11:11 AM
I reckon so too - The fellas on Goals on Sunday were lapping up arsenals passing - Too right. The 1st goal was a peach too, The Henry pass through the defenders legs, Hleb holding it up, showboating with 3 charlton players on him, picked out a peach of a cross on the edge, one touch and a smash from RVP.

Boring boring chelsea I say.........

samar7
02-10-2006, 04:26 PM
no u cant fight for the title because you do not have a plan B, your football is nice to watch yea, but with arsenal its pass pass pass, you sometimes lack the cutting edge infront of goals, its more the case of u wanting to score the perfect goal than rather winning, in europe u progress because its a much more open style of football, the other teams let u play, however in the premiership its different, teams dnt give u time on the ball to do what u want. I can see u maybe coming 4th this year, but u definatley wont win the title. To me arsenal are like ronaldhino, great to watch but only great to watch when ur given the room.

thebuddahman
02-10-2006, 04:41 PM
I agree with some of what you say Samar but what you're forgetting is that we've won various honours (premierships and fa cups) using this style of football in the past and so there is no reason to presume that playing this way now puts us out of the title race. A team that goes an entire season unbeaten playing this type of football cannot just be discounted.

If I'm honest samar your comment just sounds to me like something you heard on the news somewhere. You can't deny we are playing great football and this style of football has been successful in the past so why change?

samar7
02-10-2006, 07:10 PM
mate we are not in the past, remember that ;) ! Theres only one winner this year and wel all know who it is, thats right, Manchester United ! THERES ONLY ONE RONALDO :P !

Btw did i deny the fact u are playing great football, if u read my comments i actually said u play great football, you just wont win the title because teams know how to play against u! All they gotta do is get stuck in, u guys start crying and then game over.

daonejoe
02-10-2006, 07:22 PM
u say theres only one ronaldo

ADE-BAYORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

need i say anymore

momobeast
02-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Rentboy whats the score - turned over in your own back yard. Nuff said. The weakest performance ive seen from Utd for a long time.

Benji
18-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Robbed last night grr

thebuddahman
18-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Ref was a nobber definately but we weren't great either and they were pretty organised.

Pavey
10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Unbelievable goal by Essien,and a great game i think.

Lehmann scares me a bit now. Too many dodgy/wild mistakes/antics.

Just watching the replays seems we were a bit lucky with our goal,as thier goalie should of had it,but without a doubt Cole committed a foul to give Chelsea thier goal.

eva-01
11-12-2006, 11:25 AM
The Chelsea match was a really entertaining game of football. Can't believe we conceded a goal after Cashley fouled Hleb... Damn ref! Although we probably didn't deserve a win.

I think Lehmann has looked terrible all season. I think the World Cup must have taken alot out of him because he was superb there.

Ade WILL be a top star for the club... He's looked superb in all our big games this season. He just needs a little more confidence.

Hoping we rest Fab and Hleb for the Wigan game this Wednesday and play something like:

--------------Lehmann--------------
Eboue-----Toure-----Gallas*-----Clichy
Walcott---Baptista---Gilberto---Ljungberg
---------v.Persie---Adebayor---------

* If he's fit. If not, Djourou

neoboy259
12-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Could you have imagine if we'd won?
We'd have beaten ManU, Spurs and Chelsea without TH14. What conclusions could be drawn there? :p

eva-01
13-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, we got the result tonight (in the end).

Great finish by Ade. Wasn't impressed with our performance overall though... 4-5-1 against mid-table teams is ftl!

Shozuki
06-01-2007, 07:42 PM
just about held on for the result today, top stuff!

Gareth C
09-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Jesus, 6-3?

toythatkills
09-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Are the highlights from this gonna be on ITV tomorrow night? I'd quite like to see how horribly inept Liverpool were, but the TV guide just states that the semis are on it, so I dunno if they'll give this much air-time over Chelsea!

Pavey
09-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Could of been 7 :)

Shozuki
09-01-2007, 10:19 PM
fantatic playing from our young gunners.

Well done Arsene, keep it up...

eva-01
09-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Delighted with our performances both tonight and at the weekend. Thought all of the young guns played well with only Traore as the exception (who was average).

I'm also happy that Batista finally showed us something to get excited about.

Bring on Spurs!

PasPer2
25-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Does Baptista get credited with a hat-trick ?

Shozuki
25-01-2007, 12:15 PM
heh, I dont know - but in this instance I think he's happy with just 2!

well done once again Arsene

Shozuki
01-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Once again, our youngsters fought and played very well, infact much better then Spurs all over the pitch. We were unlucky to conceed but we bounced back.

as per my usual posts, Well done Arsene.

Benji
11-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Can't believe we're losing against Wigan at the mo, brilliant goal tho to be fair to them

VR46
18-04-2007, 06:18 PM
David Dein has resigned from the Arsenal board

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6569561.stm

Concept
18-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Presumably in protest that shareholders haven't agreed to sell out to the American billionaires they were shacking up with?

It's an intelligent move.

There's going to come a point sooner or later when it all blows up in the FA/Premiership's face after egos grow bored/impatient that there aren't enough trophies to win/and/or they don't see a return in the popularity of the league in the rest of the world.

This includes Chelsea, United, Liverpool and a bunch of smaller clubs. What happens when the financing dries up and the clubs are too expensive to sell off to any prospective bidders? The stripping of assets (players, stadiums, rising ticket prices) is what.

Pavey
15-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Just got back from the pub, which has Greek tv. We were unstoppable.

Fabregas scored the goal of the season (so far), then Adebayor trumps him!

Ajay1986
15-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Adebayor goal was simply superb, lol goal of the season contender already.

Malavon
16-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Adebayor's 2nd goal

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=RYL58YJ0

fabregas' goal

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=0FWUSCIZ

awesome :D

Shozuki
16-09-2007, 04:34 PM
ta muchly!

Must admit we were superb, deserved win.

neoboy259
19-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Excellent start to the CL campaign tonight. To be fair, Sevilla were disappointing, and I always thought we could step up a gear if needed. Sagna continues to impress and Eduardo took his goal well. Also great to see the goals evenly distributed throughout the team.

Gareth C
19-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Excellent start to the CL campaign tonight. To be fair, Sevilla were disappointing, and I always thought we could step up a gear if needed. Sagna continues to impress and Eduardo took his goal well. Also great to see the goals evenly distributed throughout the team.

I am loooking forward to seeing more of Eduardo, i'm hoping he gets an extended run this weekend.

Great game though and it was amazing at the Emirates tonight. What a start to the season.

Malavon
20-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Found a clip with 6 minutes of highlights of arsenal vs sevilla
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Okd2ftjpmGU

Really hoping Arsenal can keep up this level of skill/confidence as I'm off to see them play Man Utd on Nov 3rd, hoping that's going to be a great game :D

Mardigan8
20-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Fabregas is looking like the world class player he was destined to be and if he stays injury free and in form this season I can really see Arsenal doing something this year... he is the most exciting player in world right now IMO, the form he is on is sensational.

Malavon
25-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Goals from the game vs Newcastle:

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/arsenal/video/x32c9b_mvi5079_sport

Really annoyed that nowhere was showing it, sounds like it was one hell of a game.

spagmasterswift
02-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I've not been paying much attention this season - how are we doing at the moment, did we beat West Ham the other day?

Shozuki
07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
were playing pretty, fluid football with a bit of grit and cutting edge, that we were missing last season. I think its fair to say the Gunners are back!

Kongster
07-10-2007, 02:09 PM
And it looks like the Man Utd - Arsenal rivalry is back again, too - just like old times. ;)

Malavon
08-10-2007, 05:05 PM
For anyone interested, RVP free kick was apparently 77MPH - pretty impressive :)

Think that's 3 winners in 3 games now for RVP, looking good :D Ade seems to have slowed down a bit though :(

Shozuki
28-10-2007, 08:05 PM
What a shame today, we should have won that. Never mind a point from Anfield isnt bad but I felt we should have had more. Bring on Man Utd next week im pumped up for it, should be a decent game for the neutral too.

neoboy259
28-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Missed the game as I'm in Japan at the mo :p
Would have taken the draw before the game, think the other top sides will struggle at Anfield as well this year.
Still think the title will be decided on who can grind out results againt the lower placed teams.

Pavey
03-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Great game to watch, Man Utd very dangerous on every break they had, we looked the better side all in all, just couldn't finish all our chances.

Top with a game in hand. :)

neoboy259
03-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah, happy with a point, thoroughly deserved. We showed great battling and title wining qualities. still think the title is headed to Man Utd or Chelsea, who continued their impressive recent form.

neoboy259
18-12-2007, 09:31 AM
No love for the Gooners here it seems?
Anyway, 1-0 to the Arsenal, I'll have me a piece of that. Chelsea are difficult to score against, and I knew that a goal would be from a set piece or a mistake. Kinda surprised it was both :)
Nice way to bounce back after that tripe against Middlesboro.

B1gBeard
18-12-2007, 11:26 AM
A terrific result for us. Shame Sky (as per usual) focused on the Eboue challenge and the Cech mistake.

The fact that we had what looked a good goal disallowed for a foul and a marginal offside goal also disallowed still didn't seem to disuade the Sky chimps that we only won because of the mistake.

I wonder how many of our recently returned lot (Hleb, Fab(ulous)regas, Flams and RvP) are able to play against the Spuds. We badly missed all of them.

Ajay1986
18-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I dont see why a fuss is being made over Eboue, i mean what else could he have done in that situation other then stop and let terry just clear it. Fukin hate JT as well anyway, bloody billy big boots thinks he can get away with murder but no one else can do anything.

neoboy259
18-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Eboue wasnt even looking in the same direction as JT, so I dont see how they can deem it to be deliberate, he's got his challenge in to stop the clearance and turned his head away at the same time. Eboue might be a diving twat but I dont think he'd try to hurt anyone intentionally.

JT coulda had a red card for a challenge earlier, cos he's England captain he gets away with it.

Also, hasnt Adebayor had 4 perfectly good goals disallowed this season?

B1gBeard
18-12-2007, 11:42 AM
I dont see why a fuss is being made over Eboue, i mean what else could he have done in that situation other then stop and let terry just clear it. Fukin hate JT as well anyway, bloody billy big boots thinks he can get away with murder but no one else can do anything.

It didn't seem vicious at all. If anything Eboue had started to shy away from Terry as he was expecting to get clattered. Less was made of Cole's challenge.

Eboue does need to have a word with himself though. His diving is pretty shameful sometimes and he is getting a bad reputation.

I thought Ade's goals was good, no foul. The offside was one of those where it could have gone either way.

Ajay1986
18-12-2007, 11:47 AM
I thought the offside was very close but just off. Ade's goal should have stood tho, it wasn't a foul he just out muscled the defender.

B1gBeard
18-12-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm suprised at how well the team have done this season.

They have been on the brink of something great for a while now as all of the team are such cultured and technical footballers, even the defenders. I thought it would be another season or two before they really got there.

I'm still not sure they will have the staying power (injuries) or experience to go all the way this year but Champions League footy next season without the need to go through qualifiers is a realistic expectation.

neoboy259
18-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Yeah, considering the doom and gloom during the summer when TH14 left, for us to be top of the table at nearly halfway, I am completely made up for the club.
I dont expect us to win the title, I dont think the squad has the required experience to handle the pressure come March/April. But if we win the title, this will be Wenger's greatest achievement imho, bigger and better than the two doubles and the 49 game unbeaten run.

neoboy259
19-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Woohoo and another win for Wenger's youngsters.
Eduardo is looking sharp, shame he cant seem to get an extended run in the side up front.

Also, Roque Santa Cruz has got to be one of the buys of the summer, surely? Can't see him sticking around for long at Blackburn tho.

Anyway, we'll probably get the Spuds next round, so bring it!

momobeast
27-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Frankly **** result for gooners last night. Fabregas just hasnt had the magic he had before injury. We need RVP back asap. Just dont think Hleb playing just behind Adabayor works. I have seen more arsenal passes go astray in the past couple of games then the rest of the season put together.....Somethings missing.

neoboy259
27-12-2007, 11:58 AM
We always seem to suffer a dip in form round about Xmas time, but yeah, definiteley missing RvP's cutting edge. Fabregas hasnt been the same since he came back from injury, but he's still a class act even at 70&#37;.

Dropping points at Fratton Park isnt a disaster, they're a tough team to break down at home, though we were the better side and should have scored late in the 2nd half.

Now that we're trailing Man U maybe the pressure is off a bit and we can play more expressively? Hopefully, as I think Man U will run away with the title now anyway.

B1gBeard
27-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I think we've responded well since the Middlesborough defeat. I would have taken 7 points no arguments from the Chelsea, Spurs and Pompey games if offered before they were played.

I hate the tired excuse and Wenger uses it a lot, but some of the players did look a bit jaded against Pompey. Fabregas especially is not firing at all.

A large part of the problem is formation imo. 4-5-1 is all well and good if your target man is on form but Ade is no Drogba at the moment. Before the midfield get there in support he has either misplaced a pass or tried a trick that hasn't come off. I'd like to see Arsene have a bit more faith away from home and give Bendtner a chance up front with Ade as he made a real difference when he came on. With another hard away game at the weekend though we'll probably see the same formation.

I agree that ManU should probably run away with it now. Their key men seem to stay fit. Liverpool are looking very good as well at the moment and will probably push us for second more than Chelsea with Lampard supposedly out for a few weeks and the African Nations coming up.

neoboy259
29-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Whoohoooo didnt expect us to win tonight. Think I just witnessed a Goodison Park robbery, Everton didnt deserve to lose, being the better side for much of the game.

Back on top, plus Man Utd lost, so great way to end the year!

yesteryeargames
29-12-2007, 06:32 PM
tad harsh on everton, still think arsenal will fluff it near the end tho,
not that thats ever happend before ;)

glazza
29-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Whoohoooo didnt expect us to win tonight. Think I just witnessed a Goodison Park robbery, Everton didnt deserve to lose, being the better side for much of the game.

Back on top, plus Man Utd lost, so great way to end the year!

Dont get too giddy as theres plenty of twist n turns left in this campaign..:)

hudson
29-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Dont get too giddy as theres plenty of twist n turns left in this campaign..:)

Too right, fella! http://www.just-natasha.com/forum/images/smiles/kiss.gif

MarioMark
29-12-2007, 10:49 PM
I dunno, you glory supporters and your "there's only 4 teams in the Premier League" banter. :rolleyes:

:p

hudson
29-12-2007, 10:56 PM
haha. I bleed scouse! ;) I remember Forest mate. Don't worry.

rmoxon
29-12-2007, 10:58 PM
I found it extreamly funny today, Arsenal played different football just becuase Man U had luck against Everton with the long ball last week Arsenal tried it and sucseeded too. that Arsene Venger, such a revolutionary......

Really though, Im just bitter, Everton were a mess, unlike last week, well done though, I suppose.

I agree too, there are plenty of twists and turns left yet this season, whoever wins I would imagine now that there will only be a few points in it.

MarioMark
29-12-2007, 10:59 PM
haha. I bleed scouse! ;) I remember Forest mate. Don't worry.

:lol: I'll let you off then.

Top 4 is looking tight this season though, especially if Liverpool can win their games in hand.

Shozuki
31-12-2007, 01:41 AM
nice to be back on top again, we've definately some extra character and 'bouncebackability' this season, its just a shame we keep racking up yellow/red cards.

Eduardo, truely is a great finisher, seems like he could become more and more valuable over the course of the season.

IanE
23-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Bit quiet in here? Cough cough!

B1gBeard
26-01-2008, 09:09 AM
I've been a bit suprised at the furor this week over the Spurs game.

I think the score wasn't quite reflective of the game. Spurs played a good counter-attacking game don't get me wrong, but we gave away two very soft goals early on and from there got caught on the break as we went looking to get back in it.

Our biggest problem was that Traore, Hoyte and the goalie were just far to inexperienced (or not good enough) to deal with a fast counter-attacking Spurs side and we got picked off.

Considering I think Spurs had 6ish efforts on goal and scored 5 (I think we had more efforts on target) and we also had the majority of possesion, it wasn't as bad as the score would suggest.

What the game did tell us is that the kids are not up to the standard of a good Premiership first team and have been over-hyped. The saddest thing on the night for me was that one of our greatest servants Gilberto looks to have had enough. Its been sad to watch such a great player put in the performances he has this season. I'm assuming because he feels undermined.

B1gBeard
02-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Great response from the boys since the Spurs games.

Even before the Spurs game we were labouring a bit and needed a kick up the arse and that game was it.

We've gone about the last 3 games in the right way and done the job. Fab has been more like himself, Flamini gets better and better and Ade is a monster. I didn't think we would last the pace but it looks like we might be there abouts at the end if we carry on as we are.

With ManU losing and Chavs now drawing its looking like a good day.

ezee ryder
02-02-2008, 04:18 PM
With ManU losing.........

1-1 :)

neoboy259
03-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Been very impressed with our form and attitude since that ****e at WHL a few weeks back. Senderos hasnt put a foot wrong since Kolo went to the ACN, our defence has looked very very solid since he came in.

Top of the table in Feb, who'd have thought it eh?

Still cant genuinely see us lasting the pace, still see Man Utd lifting the title come May, but it is GREAT to see their fans moaning in their thread about us only playing mediocre sides lately. Its actually a massive compliment to our side as that means they are genuinely ****ting themselves at the thought of us being competitive with them.

B1gBeard
11-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Another win against an out of form team. Lucky old us. ;)

Radio 5's commentary throughout the game (with the exception of 15mins at the end of the first half) was very one sided. Then after the game Blackburn should have gotten something out of it even though they only had one real effort. Football punditry is strange.

Great performance though. Friedel had a good game and we really should have scored more.

Hleb MoM. If there were any doubts sadly this game showed that Gilberto has had it at Arsenal. We should have let him go in the January window and given Diarra enough reasons to stay.

ezee ryder
11-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I think Arsenal will lift the title in May, pains to say it as a Man Utd fan but I just see it happening. When the 2 teams are at their best I think Arsenal play the better football, not by alot but overall their play is more attractive/decisive these days. Their team is also young and full of energy whereas we are carrying a few older players like Scholes and Giggs. Unless Arsenal hit a bad patch like Chelsea did last season, I don't see us catching them. I hope I am wrong but this is my honest opinion.

neoboy259
11-02-2008, 09:44 PM

Blackburn may be out of form, but we still gotta beat whoever they put in our way! Didnt play particularly well, but we have a tendency to ease off when we go a goal ahead. Hleb was outstanding- he reminds me of Pires in his prime. Just needs to find an end product to his game and he will be deadly.

Starting to believe that we can go all the way! Wont actually mind if we get beat on Sunday, means we can concentrate on the title.

B1gBeard
12-02-2008, 07:05 AM
I think Arsenal will lift the title in May, pains to say it as a Man Utd fan but I just see it happening. When the 2 teams are at their best I think Arsenal play the better football, not by alot but overall their play is more attractive/decisive these days. Their team is also young and full of energy whereas we are carrying a few older players like Scholes and Giggs. Unless Arsenal hit a bad patch like Chelsea did last season, I don't see us catching them. I hope I am wrong but this is my honest opinion.

I'm not so sure mate tbh. I think this Arsenal team are very close to consistently winning things again but hardly any of them have been in a title chase and we may not have the experience yet. A lot of points still left in those twelve games.

As for comparing the two teams. I don't think anyone in the Premiership can pass and move as quickly or accurately as Arsenal but ManU are more deadly in front of goal. Last night we had to wait until injury time for the second when really it should have been over way before then. Fab and Ade spent a lot of the second half trying to walk the ball in.

toythatkills
12-02-2008, 05:40 PM

Eh? Blackburn were unbeaten in seven league games before last night!

B1gBeard
12-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Eh? Blackburn were unbeaten in seven league games before last night!

Irony from comments in another thread. :)

rmoxon
12-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Blackburn were unbeaten in 8 games I thought? maybe im wrong.

Either way they drew most of them so not exactly as good a run as it sounds.

They also played horribley against middlesborough the other week and were very lucky to snatch a late goal for the draw. It's not saying much but they actualy played better against Arsenal than they have in most matches recently despite results.

neoboy259
17-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Another week, another cup mauling :(
At least its now confirmed that Eboue is an utter c*nt and needs to be got rid of.

Also, didnt have a problem with Nani's showboating. FFS we've been guilty of doing the same thing in recent years.

Myth
23-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Sky Sports news are talking about Eduardo getting injured with possibly a broken leg and was wondering how bad it was?

Haven't got the match on but they're making it sound terrible.

AaronBekir
23-02-2008, 11:56 AM
dont know if anyone is watching the game, very nasty break for eduardo. after only 2 and a bit mins. dont think it should have been a red card for birmingham, as it didnt look intentional, sky sports are refusing to replay the footage as its that bad!

hope eduardo recovers well.

aaron

AaronBekir
23-02-2008, 12:02 PM
just rewatched the incident a few times, it didnt look that bad. But according to the reports, all the medical staff are really worried, eduardo has gone straight to hospital.

Hope all is well, just watching gary lewin the arsenal physio and he looks like hes gonna throw up, as white as a ghost.

aaron

jezzace
23-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Crazy stuff, broken ankle apparently. If you break someones ankle pretty sure that is a straight red. Could be a career ender type injury if it really is that bad. Come on, arsenal, win it now for eduardo!

AaronBekir
23-02-2008, 12:06 PM
i dont doubt the red card, but he didnt go in rashly or anything like that, just seems like he caught him wrong. there was no intent that i could see, thats why i think the red was pulled out a bit too quick.

AaronBekir
23-02-2008, 12:14 PM
well one nil down now. i dont doubt arsenal will come back, but i hope they dont (being a man utd fan) anyone got an update on eduardo yet?

aaron

abigsmurf
23-02-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure an ankle break in itself is enough to warrant a red, major injuries occasionally happen in sports. rewinding sky plus it didn't seem a red worthy tackle but it's hard to tell. When Peter Cech was almost killed from a collapsed skull that didn't even warrant a yellow in the ref's eyes and Terry having his foot broken was a yellow.

Anyone have a video of a close up replay? I don't care what Andy Grey says, when a player is sent off, I want to see why. The afforementioned cech incident was replayed endlessly and he could've been killed. When Di Matteo's career was ended, they not only showed the leg breaking tackle, they paused it on the exact moment his leg broke.

arcnas
23-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I Dont think it was a red card, and feel really sorry for the lad as you do with any major injury, but i just hope it upsets arsenals rythym today, and they get beat, i played it back on sky plus , and its not nice, but im sure will see the horrors in real in tomorows papers.

abigsmurf
23-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah I looked at it in Sky+ and it looks like he was caught in a bad way but the tackle in itself didn't seem to bad

neoboy259
23-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I Dont think it was a red card, and feel really sorry for the lad as you do with any major injury, but i just hope it upsets arsenals rythym today, and they get beat, i played it back on sky plus , and its not nice, but im sure will see the horrors in real in tomorows papers.

So an Arsenal plyer gets horiically injured, and you're revelling in that fact as its now upset their game? F***ing disgusting attitude if you ask me.

Pretty amazing how this thread is pretty quiet 99&#37; of the time, but when we get beat/have a player seriously injured, all the lurkers come on here to have a gloat!

edit: http://www.sportbox.tv/images/actionimages/football/2008/02/23/1203771798_spt_ai_birmingham_arsenal_02.jpg
http://www.expressen.se/polopoly_fs/1.1059403!defaultImage/2058401910.jpg

for those who didnt think it deserved a red

AaronBekir
23-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I didnt post to gloat etc.. i was just wondering if anyone had seen it better than i did, and if he was ok. Ive heard more reports that the break is much like the alan smith one last year against liverpool.

I do hope he is ok and recovers, fair comment on the attitude of arcnas, i would never like a players injury, especially a serious one to disrupt a team, but obviously sentiment asside, if your not an arsenal supporter (like me) you do want them to lose this match.

aaron

EDIT...

having just seen the pics, i withdraw my previous statement, deserved red, good call.

and its 1 all now, but the goal shouldnt have stood, goal keeper was being assaulted by adebayor.

abigsmurf
23-02-2008, 01:03 PM
That goal was a poor decision. Clear foul on the keeper that stopped him getting the ball

AaronBekir
23-02-2008, 01:06 PM
2 - 1, no disputes bout that one, very good goal by walcott.

aaron

abigsmurf
23-02-2008, 01:11 PM
just seen an especially bad pic of the tackle. Bone went through the skin and the foot looks dislocated. Could be career ending.

Oh_Mutants
23-02-2008, 01:17 PM
So an Arsenal plyer gets horiically injured, and you're revelling in that fact as its now upset their game? F***ing disgusting attitude if you ask me.

Pretty amazing how this thread is pretty quiet 99&#37; of the time, but when we get beat/have a player seriously injured, all the lurkers come on here to have a gloat!

edit: http://www.sportbox.tv/images/actionimages/football/2008/02/23/1203771798_spt_ai_birmingham_arsenal_02.jpg
http://www.expressen.se/polopoly_fs/1.1059403!defaultImage/2058401910.jpg (http://www.expressen.se/polopoly_fs/1.1059403%21defaultImage/2058401910.jpg)

for those who didnt think it deserved a red
All the lurkers come on here to have a gloat? I didn't get that from aaron or anyone else's post at all. I, like i suspect others, had a look in here to see people's views on what Sky were eluding to, and what i'd missed. I think you need to chill out a bit mate.
Having seen it now, there is no way it was deserving of a red card (as David Platt basically said). Still images never show a true picture and can easily be cherry picked to highlight a particular viewpoint - Taylor clearly didn't go in with any intent, despite how those pics may look. But yeah, let's hope Eduardo has a speedy and complete recovery.

ezee ryder
23-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Slight over reaction neoboy, no-one was gloating. Aaron and the others were just giving their view on the tackle, it is not like they were saying "ha ha he got injured". I didn't see it myself but from the pics it looks like a red card, I dunno how it looked at full speed. Looks like a really bad injury, wish him a speedy recovery.

ezee ryder
23-02-2008, 01:45 PM
94th minute Birmingham penalty, late drama........2-2.

Oh_Mutants
23-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Now if there are any gloaters i'm sure they'd come out from lurking now...

abigsmurf
23-02-2008, 01:49 PM
last minute penalty, ouch. Stupid penalty to give away. Not much pity for the ultra pissed off Gallas being a Chelsea fan but I thought the condescending comments from the commentator as he sat on the pitch was out of order.

jezzace
23-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Arsenals own fault really, we had so many chances to kill it off. Shame, but an eventful and interesting match all the same.

AaronBekir
23-02-2008, 01:51 PM
I have to say the lone figure of gallas, sitting on the pitch, will stay with me for a long time! great result for birmingham, well done.

aaron

neoboy259
23-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Very disappointing, but coulda been worse. Oh well. Would have been pleased with a point at half time so no complaints.

also disapponting see the gloaters are now crawling outta the woodwork already! If we'd won I'd be the only person posting on here.......

AaronBekir
23-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Im not gloating, as such, the result was deserved for birmingham, its the lone figure of gallas though, words fail me how funny it is.

aaron

Malavon
23-02-2008, 01:55 PM
last minute penalty, ouch. Stupid penalty to give away.

Wasn't even a penalty though, one of the replays clearly showed that Clichy got the ball and kicked it far enough away that the birmingham player wouldn't have been able to get it before he fell over Clichy's leg.

Absolutely stupid mistake to make prior to that though, wtf was he doing. Needs a good slap for that.

http://www.orange.co.uk/images/editorial/Roundup2.jpg

what a smug **** he is

neoboy259
23-02-2008, 01:59 PM
All the lurkers come on here to have a gloat? I didn't get that from aaron or anyone else's post at all. I, like i suspect others, had a look in here to see people's views on what Sky were eluding to, and what i'd missed. I think you need to chill out a bit mate.
Having seen it now, there is no way it was deserving of a red card (as David Platt basically said). Still images never show a true picture and can easily be cherry picked to highlight a particular viewpoint - Taylor clearly didn't go in with any intent, despite how those pics may look. But yeah, let's hope Eduardo has a speedy and complete recovery.

He didnt go in with any intent, does that make it any less dangerous? Less excusable? It was clumsy, resulting in a player getting seriously injured, straight red.

ezee ryder
23-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Very disappointing, but coulda been worse. Oh well. Would have been pleased with a point at half time so no complaints.

also disapponting see the gloaters are now crawling outta the woodwork already! If we'd won I'd be the only person posting on here.......

Pretty sure others would have been posting too as there were quite a few people watching this thread.

neoboy259
23-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Pretty sure others would have been posting too as there were quite a few people watching this thread.

Exactly my point. Nobody would be watching this thread if we weren't losing. Understandably, a lot of man ud and chelsea fans would be pleased and posting a coment. fair enough, do it in your own thread.

ezee ryder
23-02-2008, 02:10 PM
But it was 2-1 to Arsenal at that point, so you weren't losing. Where else would someone post regarding an Arsenal match? No-one was gloating as such mate, they were just commenting on the game and certain incidents. Happens in the Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd thread too during or after a game. People express their opinions on the game itself and incidents that happend during it. I don't see an issue personally.

Myth
23-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Sorry but your a football fan you should expect gloating christ I hear a lot worse down the pub.

It's a bit of banter.

Nobody should gloat about a serious injury though, that's disgusting.

neoboy259
23-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Again, you're missing the point. NO ONE ever posts here except for myself and a few other gooners, except when bad **** happens to us! Dunno about other team's threads, as I dont visit them much. But in that case winding up rival supporters on their thread is pretty childish wouldnt you agree?

Oh_Mutants
23-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Sorry but your a football fan you should expect gloating christ I hear a lot worse down the pub.

It's a bit of banter.

Nobody should gloat about a serious injury though, that's disgusting.
Agreed. And nobody did. Going back to the challenge, i don't even think it was particularly reckless (those pics really do make it look far worse than it was), and as i said certainly no intent to hurt the player. Was never a red card. It's irrelevant the extent of a player's injury after a challenge too, the challenge should be judged on it's own merits. To me, and as discussed on Sky, it appears the Ref was infulenced by the extent of the injury (as you also just said, Neoboy) which is simply wrong.
But again, no-one likes to see any player get seriously injured. He's got youth on his side, i'm sure he'll be back :)

Oh_Mutants
23-02-2008, 02:18 PM
But in that case winding up rival supporters on their thread is pretty childish wouldnt you agree?
Fun too ;)

neoboy259
23-02-2008, 02:19 PM
It was studs up, shin high. The ball however, was on the ground. So he wasn even aiming for the ball. Still not reckless enough?

Regardless, it doesnt matter now. Its Eduardo's birthday on Monday, (un)funnilly enough. Fingers crossed he'll make a speedy recovery. Diaby had a similar injury and recovered so there's hope in the skills of Arsenal's medical staff.

Definitely 2 points dropped. When Adebayor was clean thru and missed, I knew it was gona bite us in the arse. No wins in our last 3 so we're right in the middle of our blip. Chelsea and Man Utd fans rejoice.

AaronBekir
23-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Just seen wengers interview on sky sports, what an idiot. of course now that something has happened to his team, he has a view! but whenever his team do something, he never saw it! to come out and say taylor should never play again, and why is he on a pitch is stupid and petulant, i understand he is upset, but he needs to stop and think.

aaron

ezee ryder
23-02-2008, 02:22 PM
No-one is winding up anyone, football is game of opinions and that is exactly what people are doing. Oh and actually looking back at the thread quite a few people who don't support Arsenal have also posted in this thread. Most of the posts are actually not "gloating" they are praising Arsenal.

arcnas
23-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Im my post i said i feel sorry for the lad , but i still think at full speed it wasnt a red card, and wenger says the lad that did it should never play again, hes gone mad, and all arsenal fand are just upset at letting Man Utd back in, which will be a fatal mistake.

Myth
23-02-2008, 02:50 PM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00441/brum_666x450_441474a.jpg

Ouch.

arcnas
23-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Ive just looked at the picture and changed my mind, the lad was well high and out of order, but in realtime it didnt look that bad, i think sky should have shown it again, so we could make a judgement but the picture does look horrible to be honest.

neoboy259
23-02-2008, 04:18 PM
No-one is winding up anyone, football is game of opinions and that is exactly what people are doing. Oh and actually looking back at the thread quite a few people who don't support Arsenal have also posted in this thread. Most of the posts are actually not "gloating" they are praising Arsenal.

Call me sad, just had a look through all the posts made in this thread since the season kicked off, and only once has a non-Arsenal fan come in here to praise us (which was your good self, incidentally). :D

B1gBeard
23-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Absolutely gutted for Edu. Such a nice unassuming lad. Pretty gutted as well that some people seem more interested in justifying it by bringing up past incidents than just simply feeling sorry for the player. I'm looking at that utter imbecile Garth Crooks amongst others.

We should have killed the game off really but thats the way it goes. Can't see what the problem was with our first goal. Ade jumped straight up for the ball, eyes directly on the ball and the goalie jumped into him. Maybe you're not supposed to challenge for the ball at all if the goalie is within a certain distance of it? Andy Gray seemed to suggest it wasn't a foul. Looked as though Gael got a touch on the ball. Disapponted with Bill's reaction but then maybe he was thinking that if someone like Rio Ferdinand had made the same challenge in that situation then Birmingham would have had about as much chance of getting a penalty out of it than they have of winning the World Cup.

I hope this is not one of those watershed games for us. Last season we had a similar period over the course of a week and our season faded out after it.

B1gBeard
23-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Call me sad, just had a look through all the posts made in this thread since the season kicked off, and only once has a non-Arsenal fan come in here to praise us (which was your good self, incidentally). :D

You will generally find its either ManU, Spuds or Chavs though.

They have to have some outlet to justify the fact that what Arsene has achieved with peanuts is costing them tens and tens of millions while also losing alot of their self respect to people like Abramovich.

neoboy259
23-02-2008, 04:33 PM
I wouldnt quite say we've spent peanuts, but certainly, compared to other top clubs around Europe, what we've achieved so far has been beyond most gooners' wildest dreams.

I'd hazard a guess that most rival fans wouldnt bother posting in here at all if we werent top.

BTW what was Garth Crooks saying?

B1gBeard
23-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I wouldnt quite say we've spent peanuts, but certainly, compared to other top clubs around Europe, what we've achieved so far has been beyond most gooners' wildest dreams.

I'd hazard a guess that most rival fans wouldnt bother posting in here at all if we werent top.

BTW what was Garth Crooks saying?

He said it was unintentional then tried to turn it around into a lets have a look at Arsenal's past record rant.

This incident has also highlighted more the dislike for the "foreigner" in the English game. I can't for the life of me imagine that Sky would refuse to show the incident if an Arsenal player had done it to say Rooney or Lampard and the media frenzy that would have been made. Not many of the pundits so far have taken Taylor to task much about it. The BBC report says he was sent off, and thats about it.

The challenges on Terry by Diaby (which was especially nasty though accidental) and Eboue were on almost continuous loop on Sky. I seem to remember them actually freezing images of similar injuries at the moment of impact in the past.

neoboy259
23-02-2008, 04:46 PM
LOL what did you expect from a formers Spurs and Man Utd player?
He's always been a tw*t.

NekoFever
23-02-2008, 05:23 PM
There are a few angles of the actual break in this video (http://www.dailymotion.com/search/eduardo/video/x4h5me_eduardo-broken-leg-birminghamarsena_sport). It looks ****ing horrific.

Ajay1986
23-02-2008, 06:00 PM
That has to be the worst football injury i've ever seen. Just hope he can make a full recovery.

Ginger Tosser
23-02-2008, 06:04 PM
I saw it happen as I was at the game. At the time it didn't look a bad challenge, but from the stills it was a bad one. Taylor isn't known as a dirty player from the last few years I've seen him, It doesn't excuse the challenge though. Wenger calling for a life ban makes him look an idiot though. O.k. one of his star players looks as if his career is over (hopefully not though). The speed of the current game means this sort of thing is likely to happen.

Kieran76
23-02-2008, 06:23 PM
It was clearly a bad challenge, but the intent was not there. Wenger has once again lain himself open to criticism with his ridiculous comments. I am listening to 606 at the moment and even some Arsenal fans are saying that Wenger has made himself look stupid. I hope the kid is okay, but lets keep this in perspective. I bet if Arsenal had not given away a stupid penalty in the last minute he wouldn't have been calling for a lifetime ban.

Myth
23-02-2008, 06:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TjA-p5zCPJ0

Just incase you've not seen it in clearer quality, the way his ankle flops around is sickening

Edit - Videos down now, sure you can find one on youtube before it gets removed again.

ezee ryder
23-02-2008, 06:39 PM

Call me sad, I looked through the whole thread and there are quite a few non Arsenal fans who have posted stuff you would consider not "gloating"

You will generally find its either ManU, Spuds or Chavs though.

They have to have some outlet to justify the fact that what Arsene has achieved with peanuts is costing them tens and tens of millions while also losing alot of their self respect to people like Abramovich.

I think you will find you are generalising, if you look at any set of supporters you will always get the odd few who are idiots. There is obviously gonna be banter between rival sets of fans, as long as it doesn't go to the level of insults then all is fine.

Justify what mate?! Took Alex Ferguson years of hardwork to get the club where they are now. He was spoon fed nothing, so I dunno what you are on about to be honest. Same applies to Wenger, he has put in a lot of hardwork to get the club to where they are now.

johnno15
23-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Just heard about the break now christ on a bike it looks bad I really hope he is okay he was looking pretty awesome.

Looking at that vid posted on the last page the final still shows the break and it looks like it might just have popped off i.e. dislocated not great but better then a break I hope.

neoboy259
23-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Call me sad, I looked through the whole thread and there are quite a few non Arsenal fans who have posted stuff you would consider not "gloating"

i know what gloating means, being a moderator gives you no right to condescend me tbqf.

ezee ryder
23-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Being a moderator has nothing to do with as I would have said the same thing even if I wasn't a moderator. I wasn't being condescending, I just think you're being a little paranoid. To be honest I was just having a discussion with you mate, you have escalated it to the next level. I will end my side there and let us get back to discussing football matters.

yesteryeargames
23-02-2008, 08:06 PM
There are a few angles of the actual break in this video (http://www.dailymotion.com/search/eduardo/video/x4h5me_eduardo-broken-leg-birminghamarsena_sport). It looks ****ing horrific.

that cisse one was the worst ive ever seen, but nasty that,
i dont like to see any player injured even if its an arsenal or chelsea player, me being a huge man utd fan, things like this happen, just a shame it wasent adbeyourrrrrr lol sorry
you have to give credit to bham for getting a draw

Arsenal we are coming for you, be scared very very scared

NekoFever
23-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I remember that Cisse one when it was on MOTD the day it happened. You could see hit foot just hanging down. I started watching a video of it today and had to stop before it came to that, just because it was making me feel queasy. And I usually have a strong stomach for this kind of stuff!

There's also David Busst, where his leg got shattered against Man United and when it happened Peter Schmeichel just runs away with his hands over his face. He needed counselling, and that was just from looking at it.

yesteryeargames
23-02-2008, 08:16 PM
that cisse one,on motd they showed it about 10 times, really close up , i watched the repeat on sunday morning and they dident show it close up again,

ezee ryder
23-02-2008, 08:28 PM
There's also David Busst, where his leg got shattered against Man United and when it happened Peter Schmeichel just runs away with his hands over his face. He needed counselling, and that was just from looking at it.

I remember that one, the area where landed was soaked with blood. Terrible injury, ended his career.

Pavey
23-02-2008, 09:40 PM
that cisse one was the worst ive ever seen, but nasty that,
i dont like to see any player injured even if its an arsenal or chelsea player, me being a huge man utd fan, things like this happen, just a shame it wasent adbeyourrrrrr lol sorry
you have to give credit to bham for getting a draw

Arsenal we are coming for you, be scared very very scared

He says from Cornwall......

Ajay1986
23-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Jesus, just seen the slow mo on MOTD and it was even worse then i thought before. I hope he's back in the future, but god it doesnt seem likely.

ezee ryder
23-02-2008, 09:50 PM
All this does is make the title race even more interesting. There will be many points dropped by all teams challenging for the title in the course of the run in, could be the best title race for a while.

On the game today, glad Arsene Wenger retracted his earlier statements about Taylor. Don't want to stir anything up but the actions of Gallas during and after the penalty were not befitting of a club captain, its not as if you guys have lost the title....you're still 3 points ahead.

Anpanman
23-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Just seen it too on Match of the Day.

Bad injury for the lad, hope it doesn't ruin his career.

jezzace
23-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Wenger has gone back on his earlier statements saying he was a bit 'excessive'. Fair enough, a bit of passion is what you want from the manager and at least he admits he was wrong.

VR46
23-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Just seen it for the first time and that is some nasty break, he's a young lad so hopefully come the new season he'll be back to full fitness.

B1gBeard
23-02-2008, 11:47 PM

I think you will find you are generalising, if you look at any set of supporters you will always get the odd few who are idiots. There is obviously gonna be banter between rival sets of fans, as long as it doesn't go to the level of insults then all is fine.

Justify what mate?! Took Alex Ferguson years of hardwork to get the club where they are now. He was spoon fed nothing, so I dunno what you are on about to be honest. Same applies to Wenger, he has put in a lot of hardwork to get the club to where they are now.

Ferguson has always had bucket loads to spend. In his first few years he made a lot of purchases, pretty much buying a new team, including a couple of British transfer records (Roy Keane being one I believe).

You have to be successful in any way you can, I'm not knocking him, he has been a great manager. Money has played a big part in his success though.

I've stopped reading stuff about Edu but some other Gooners are saying that a lot of the press are calling it a clumsy but honest challenge and the papers tommorrow focus little on the challenge and more on the fact that we gave away 2 points. It may be emotional fans just reading and hearing what they want to read and hear but if its true then its a sad state of affairs.

sadat
24-02-2008, 12:18 AM
I just hope he can walk again first and foremost, without pain and with all the feeling in his foot. He's a young guy who was clearly destined for greatness, the goals he got before he came to us were outstanding and he was just starting to settle in. Saw him at home once, he stood out in bursts, and all the Gooners I know agree he was going places. Football's all he knows. Tragic.

abigsmurf
24-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Ferguson has always had bucket loads to spend. In his first few years he made a lot of purchases, pretty much buying a new team, including a couple of British transfer records (Roy Keane being one I believe).

You have to be successful in any way you can, I'm not knocking him, he has been a great manager. Money has played a big part in his success though.

Man U also got massive investment for their stadium which enabled them to have the biggest stadium outside of Wembley which helped get them more money than other teams could match.

ezee ryder
24-02-2008, 01:56 AM

Could also argue money has played a big part in Wengers success. Pretty sure he also bought quite a few players when he first came in, didn't pay as much as as Ferguson/United (mainly cos most teams try and get as much money as they can out od us) but he still bought players. This debate could go on and on but money will always play a big part in a teams success these days, example being Arsenal moving to a bigger stadium.

prinnysquad
24-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Colin Healy's injury a few years ago was bloody awful to watch too.

illumanati2
24-02-2008, 09:02 AM
that taylor fella was smiling after that tackle, disgracful

Pilotwings
24-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Can't say I remember seeing any smiles from him in the highlight's like.

neverevertrevor
24-02-2008, 09:23 AM
I think his face did change, but it looked more like a look of acnowledgement at how bad the guys leg was!

Hope he makes a recovery!

prinnysquad
24-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Maybe at that point he didn't know the extent of the injury and was sheepishly looking towards the referee wondering what card was going to be shown. I don't think its the sinister smirk that it seems on the surface.

abigsmurf
24-02-2008, 10:02 AM
I saw pictures of him smiling and to me it wasn't a case of "ha ha" but "oh crap, what have I done". The kind of expression some people have after hitting something with their car

B1gBeard
24-02-2008, 10:10 AM
It wasn't even a yellow card challenge according to that intellectual mountain Steve Bruce.

You really do have to wonder at the rumours of the English game when people seem more concerned for the perpetraitor than the victim. The guys studs were a foot off of the floor ffs. Any Arsenal player would have been hung out to dry in the same situation.

neoboy259
24-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Could also argue money has played a big part in Wengers success. Pretty sure he also bought quite a few players when he first came in, didn't pay as much as as Ferguson/United (mainly cos most teams try and get as much money as they can out od us) but he still bought players. This debate could go on and on but money will always play a big part in a teams success these days, example being Arsenal moving to a bigger stadium.

I think, with the money invested recently on certain players, Man Utd would expect to be challenging for all honours. Arsenal have spent money, but we've never been able to compete with Utd and Chelsea in terms of transfer fees, so it stands to reason that we've never been able to bid for the best available. So for us to be top of the table must be pretty galling to Abramovich, Glazer, Gillete and Hicks, and ENIC.

Fair play to Wenger for retracting his comments. Let's hope we can channel the disappointment and frustration into decent performances and finish with a trophy for Eddy.

hudson
24-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Hope Eduardo comes back soon. So sad watching it on MOTD last night.

neverevertrevor
24-02-2008, 02:10 PM
It was sad, just heard on the news that he had an operation last night on his leg that was broken in 2 places

vanpeebles
24-02-2008, 08:43 PM
After the showing on MOTD and the replays. I didn't think it was a really awful tackle. A fifty-fifty ball, 2 mins into the game and he got beat for pace. The ref gave him a red purely on the results of the challenge which is wrong because thats not how fouls work in football, Ice Hockey yes, football no.

A thought I had was did he have those stupid blade football boots on. We have seen a number of breaks and bad injuries, due to blades been so sure footed in the turf that your leg gives way before your grip does. At least old fashioned studs can spud and move in the turf.

B1gBeard
24-02-2008, 08:50 PM
After the showing on MOTD and the replays. I didn't think it was a really awful tackle. A fifty-fifty ball, 2 mins into the game and he got beat for pace. The ref gave him a red purely on the results of the challenge which is wrong because thats not how fouls work in football, Ice Hockey yes, football no.

A thought I had was did he have those stupid blade football boots on. We have seen a number of breaks and bad injuries, due to blades been so sure footed in the turf that your leg gives way before your grip does. At least old fashioned studs can spud and move in the turf.

Aye the fact that his foot was a foot off of the ground with studs showing and he would have gotten no where near the ball had Edu been 105 is just detail really. Other than that it was a perfectly good tackle. :thumbd:

vanpeebles
24-02-2008, 08:56 PM
How else do people go for balls like that? Viera did tackles like that numerous times a game and Arsenal fans thought it was best thing since sliced bread.

B1gBeard
24-02-2008, 09:09 PM
How else do people go for balls like that? Viera did tackles like that numerous times a game and Arsenal fans thought it was best thing since sliced bread.

I don't remember this many times a game lark nor would I have thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Which Arsenal fans were these then?

I was under the impression that this type of tackle had been under a lot of scrutiny of late and was rightly considered not on at all. If its now acceptable to go in hard, studs showing like some karate champ, then maybe someone should notify the FA.

neoboy259
24-02-2008, 09:35 PM

Numerous times a game? You mean studs up over the ball? Cos I cant genuinely remember when he did. And if he did you wont see many genuine Arsenal fans claiming he was anything like sliced bread.Sure he was aggressive, dont recall him ever breaking anyone's leg with a poor tackle.

Anpanman
24-02-2008, 09:47 PM

Even more of a reason then not to go in foot high with studs showing.

Kieran76
24-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I think some people need to agree to disagree.

rmoxon
25-02-2008, 12:09 AM
As a Man u fan I guess I will say i'm glad to see Arsenal get a taste of their own dirty medicine after they ran about chasing our players and kicking them in the back.

As a football fan I'll say that it wasnt very nice what happened and i hope Eduardo is ok....

As a neutral watching the game... The tackle wasnt malicious and Taylor was only in the wrong as much as anyone who commited any other fouls this weekend was (perhapse less so than some). The Injury was just an accident, it was pretty plain to see, both in what happened and the players reactions (for once even Arsenal didn't jump the Ref and Taylor knew hed mistimed his tackle) showed that.

johnno15
25-02-2008, 12:24 AM
As a Man u fan I guess I will say i'm glad to see Arsenal get a taste of their own dirty medicine after they ran about chasing our players and kicking them in the back.

You clown thats no utd fans view well no real utd fan anyway. Its just a game sure the gunners petulance is laughable and aggravates me constantly but there is no way you can look at an incident like this in the same eyes.

ezee ryder
25-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Agree with johnno15 that is no real Man Utd fan's view.

vanpeebles
25-02-2008, 09:40 AM
I'd like to see a full investigation into blades but sadly big money talks.

Oh_Mutants
25-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Anyone got a currently working link to the tackle on Eduardo, want to show a work mate who hasn't seen it yet, but insists it was malicious (doesn't need to graphically show the injury btw, just the tackle) :rolleyes:

Ginger Tosser
25-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Link (http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/eduardo&#37;2Bleg/video/x4hgan_leg-break_sport)

(whilst it's still available)

toythatkills
25-02-2008, 11:12 AM
For those that say it wasn't a red card challenge, here's one of FIFAs definitions of something that constitutes a red card

Serious foul play. This includes a tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent.

It wasn't intentional or malicious, of course, but it was still incredibly dangerous and clearly endangered the safety of an opponent: Instant red card.

Anyone else find it a bit crap that the "Eduardo was too quick etc" excuse has been used at all? As if it's his own fault that his leg is in bits now, or something. Taylor was just clumsy, end of.

Hope he makes it back, he looked really good

neoboy259
25-02-2008, 11:49 AM
http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=488036&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Eduardo+-+I+am+determined+to+overcome+this+injury

Great positive attitude from Eddy, says he's determined to overcome his injury.

Matt
28-02-2008, 06:02 PM

There was an interesting article in The Sun today, listing the top four with total points and total money spent.

Arsenal (since Wenger)
Points = 887
Spent = ?173m
? per pont = ?195,039

Man Utd (since Fergy)
Points = 1654
Spent = ?336.75m
? per pont = ?203,597

Liverpool (since Benitez)
Points = 255
Spent = ?125.6m
? per pont = ?492,549

Chelsea (since Abramovich)
Points = 403
Spent = ?346m
? per pont = ?585,560

There's nothing in it between Arsenal and Man Utd.

B1gBeard
28-02-2008, 06:23 PM
There was an interesting article in The Sun today, listing the top four with total points and total money spent.

Arsenal (since Wenger)
Points = 887
Spent = ?173m
? per pont = ?195,039

Man Utd (since Fergy)
Points = 1654
Spent = ?336.75m
? per pont = ?203,597

Points = 255
Spent = ?125.6m
? per pont = ?492,549

Points = 403
Spent = ?346m
? per pont = ?585,560

Typically for the Sun it seems a bit of a pointless exercise unless you do it over a similar time frame. Fergie has been their longer but a large percentage of his amount spent would mostly have been since Arsene has been at Arsenal.

Matt
28-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Right. And ALL of Wenger's money spent would have been since he has been at Arsenal. Your point being?

It's a very valid indicator of just how much each team has spent, and just what they've got from it.

The point is, both Arsenal and Man Utd have spent the same for each point they've earned. Therefore the argument relating success to money, claiming Fergy has had money where Wenger hasn't doesn't actually add up. Sure you can say he's spent proportionately more over the same time frame, but I doubt it's as much as some people would believe. After all, Man Utd have (had at least) a pretty solid base of home grown talent.

toythatkills
28-02-2008, 11:19 PM
That's a ridiculous comparison. You either compare the same timeframe or it removes all point. Ferguson and Wenger have not spent the same amount of money per point, because they've got an extra ten years or so of extra stats for Ferguson. Transfer fees between 1986 and 1996 can hardly be compared to those of 1996 onwards, can they?

EDIT: Also, before Wenger came the season had more games in it, hence more opportunity for points. The more you look at that comparison the more of a waste of time it becomes

Matt
28-02-2008, 11:37 PM
It's just a couple of interesting statistics. It's just a simple counter to the, "Man Utd have spent so much more money than Arsenal".

Across the Man Utd timeframe, Fergie has built the club and the business up to the level it now is. Trying to take anything away from him because his club has money because they've been successful is a rather daft. I'm sure Wenger would love the income himself.

Besides, stats like this are funny just to see the response. It's lighthearted. It was in the fcuking Sun!

Maybe if Man Utd had just bought foreign players the pound-per-points would be considerably less. After all, a huge chunk of that total expenditure has gone on English players - Rooney, Ferdinand, Hargreaves, Carrick, etc. It's a fact English transfers cost more.

No one can argue Wenger has got a good eye for talent, but Fergie more than holds his own in that regard. Money alone doesn't buy success, Chelsea needed a great manager to get them organised.

saif
28-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Man Utd have broken countless transfer records. This si a pointless comparison and it does not show any frugal spending by Fergie unless you are basically innmerate. To compare a &#163;3m british transfer record spend for Roy Keane and equate that to a &#163;3m present day player is a ridiculous thing.
Off the top of my head, Man U have spent more on single players than anyone else on Keane, Cole, Ferdinand, Stam, RVN, Rooney, Veron etc etc.

ezee ryder
29-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Out of all of those players you list there I can only think of one who didn't prove himself to be a good signing (Veron obviously). When Ferguson has spent big he has usually bought in a player for the long term and they have proven their worth. The only players, from the ones you mention, that left before their playing days were "over" would be Stam and Van Nistelrooy. It is when Ferguson tries to grab a "bargain" he usually gets its wrong, the players that come to mind there are Miller, Kleberson, Forlan, Blanc and to a certain extent Smith. It is also well known when United are buying the selling club usually ups the price of the player cos they know we have the money to spend. And as Chain mentioned we usually buy English playersd and, for some reason, always cost way more than players from other countries.

abigsmurf
29-02-2008, 02:00 AM

Arsenal (since Wenger)
Points = 887
Spent = ?173m
? per pont = ?195,039

Man Utd (since Fergy)
Points = 1654
Spent = ?336.75m
? per pont = ?203,597

Points = 255
Spent = ?125.6m
? per pont = ?492,549

Points = 403
Spent = ?346m
? per pont = ?585,560

A bit meaningless when you take into account the inflation of transfer fees over the years. Would be better if you adjusted it based on the average tranfer fee for the time.

Matt
29-02-2008, 08:05 AM
I totally agree. 68&#37; of people know all stats are meaningless :)

I'm not saying those stats are perfect, they're just interesting. It does get a bit tiresome when Arsenal fans hark on about how little they spend compared to the other clubs. ManU are a self funded club, they've got the money to spend because of their previous success.

As Ezee points out, when Fergie buys big, he gets what his team needs (yes except Veron!). Knowing who you need is a skill; knowing the position is one thing, you have to find the right skillset to integrate with the rest of the team, and a personality to match. He makes some astute buys. Can remember he was criticised a few years back for spending far too much money on a little player called C. Ronaldo.

saif
29-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Some of them have been good buys.

The fact is you cannot say that, as this simple stat analysis does, that spending &#163;3.75m on a midfielder now is the same as breaking the transfer record for a midfielder. That was a greater amount of cash (in football terms) than the &#163;35m they spent on Carrick and Hargreaves imo. Usually, if you pay top top whack, you will get a top top player. The risk is greatly minimised (exception = Stan Collymore in terms of record breakers).

AaronBekir
29-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Well i have a new answer guys,

Since Sept 1996 Wenger has spent 184 million, compared to fergusons 538 million!!! In terms of points, Wenger has accumulated 904 points, compared to fergusons 947.

So as you can see, as much as it pains me to say it, furguson has spent crazy amounts, but can any arsenal fan claim that if that amount of money had been available to wenger he wouldn't have spent it?

neoboy259
29-02-2008, 02:36 PM

Since Sept 1996 Wenger has spent 184 million, compared to fergusons 538 million!!! In terms of points, Wenger has accumulated 904 points, compared to fergusons 947.

So as you can see, as much as it pains me to say it, furguson has spent crazy amounts, but can any arsenal fan claim that if that amount of money had been available to wenger he wouldn't have spent it?

Wenger's always stated that he'll never pay over the odds for players, regardless of ability. Arsenal have a decent sized transfer kitty, but I guess Wenger won't go out and buy global superstars for fear of it disrupting the development of our youngsters.

So no, he has the money but wont spend it.

Matt
29-02-2008, 04:18 PM

Yikes! Where'd you get that &#163;584m figure from, as The Sun stats had it as &#163;250m less over a much longer period of time.

rmoxon
29-02-2008, 04:20 PM
You clown thats no utd fans view well no real utd fan anyway. Its just a game sure the gunners petulance is laughable and aggravates me constantly but there is no way you can look at an incident like this in the same eyes.

Youre right, there is a difference, Arsenal players actualy try to break peoples legs, where as what happened to Eduardo was an accident.

On The Edge of Insanity
29-02-2008, 04:23 PM
To be fair to Ferguson, it is only the success that Man U have had under him that has made them into the rich club they are today. Their first title success coincided with the formation of the Premiership and having won the first two titles, they were in the best position to reap the rewards of the globalisation that followed in the coming years.

That, combined with the fact that they had a large historical standing and one of the bigger stadiums allowed them to make far more money that most of the other Premiership teams were able to in those early years and they gained big from speculating to accumulate in the first couple of Premiership seasons.

If Arsenal had a stadium the size of the Emirates when they first won the title then they would easily be up there as one of the richest clubs and would be able to justify spending the sort of money that Man U do on a regular basis.

neoboy259
29-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Youre right, there is a difference, Arsenal players actualy try to break peoples legs, where as what happened to Eduardo was an accident.

So Roy Keane never tried to hurt anyone?

AaronBekir
29-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Yikes! Where'd you get that ?584m figure from, as The Sun stats had it as ?250m less over a much longer period of time.

on my phone, theres a messaging service with a footie guy, the gaffer, so i asked the question since wenger has been with arsenal, how much has each manager spent (so it just covers the last 11 years) and that was his answer.

wenger - 184million
ferguson - 538million

id say its quite possible, when you think....

rooney - 30million
veron - 28million
ferdinand - 30million
van nistlerooy - 19million
hargreaves - 17million
carrick - 18million

thats 150ish million just there, so think about all the smaller buys he has done, and all the flops.

aaron

toythatkills
29-02-2008, 05:12 PM

When has an Arsenal player tried to break someone's legs?

Well, excluding every tackle Eboue ever makes anyway, but he doesn't count because he's a moron.

Matt
29-02-2008, 05:50 PM
on my phone, theres a messaging service with a footie guy, the gaffer, so i asked the question since wenger has been with arsenal, how much has each manager spent (so it just covers the last 11 years) and that was his answer.

wenger - 184million
ferguson - 538million

id say its quite possible, when you think....

rooney - 30million
veron - 28million
ferdinand - 30million
van nistlerooy - 19million
hargreaves - 17million
carrick - 18million

thats 150ish million just there, so think about all the smaller buys he has done, and all the flops.

aaron

Nah mate, I think he's way off. I'd actually trust The Sun on this one :wink: ?400m on smaller buys and flops? This isn't Chelsea you know!

Maybe there's a website out there that lists all this stuff.

Matt
29-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Quick Google, and got this:

Biggest net spenders on transfers in the six seasons to 2002: Man Utd (pounds 99m), Leeds (pounds 91m), Chelsea (pounds 84m), Liverpool (pounds 81m) and Tottenham (pounds 53m). Arsenal's net spending was pounds 24m, less than Manchester City's.

That &#163;500m in ten years would means Man Utd have spent &#163;400 in 5 years. Which obviously is not the case.

B1gBeard
01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Anyway onto the game today.

I think we'll see a great reaction. I was initially unsure but with the great attitude of Edu and the performance in the second half last week I think it may have the right effect on the boys.

It'll be a tough game but I think we'll be in the right frame of mind for it.

neoboy259
01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Hope you're right, can see us dropping points tbh. Martin O' Neill has a good track record against us. Villa like to play football so hopefully it'll be a good game, with us carving them open :)

B1gBeard
01-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Its funny thinking about Arsene's more recent comments. I always think that he's better off just not saying anything as it just gives all the xenophobic BBC and Sky pundits more ammunition.

Listening to the Sky lot today though it does put what he says into perspective.

They probably spent a good 2 minutes talking about the challenge, and then most of the rest of the time talking about Gallas. Surely dealing with that sort of challenge and highlighting it and looking at how the FA can deal with it better is more important than the petulance of a passionate Frenchman? Not according to Sky. Then what with that utter arse Lawrenson single handedly trying to convince Wenger to drop Gallas as captain all week. It puts Arsene's seemingly conspiracy theory like comments into some perspective.

I think we''l be fired up to win today if nothing else and with Villa's poor record in defence and the amount of away goals they have scored it could be a cracker.

neoboy259
01-03-2008, 01:00 PM
TBH I dont know how the FA can deal with these type of tackles.

Course, if it was Rooney or Gerrard who suffered that type of injury 4 months before a major international championship, as opposed to Johnny Foreigner who helped dump his adopted league's national side out at the qualifying stage................

B1gBeard
01-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Game going as expected so far. Lots of Arsenal pressure, Villa playing on the counter. Theo looking good.

neoboy259
01-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Gah.......0-1 to Villa, who have thoroughly deserved their lead. We've been awful.

neoboy259
01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
oooooooof f*ck me we left that late!

jezzace
01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Frustrating stuff but at least we got a point. Really struggled to create to anything, Villa played superbly and deserved the win, but its these points that count in the title chase.

B1gBeard
02-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Gah.......0-1 to Villa, who have thoroughly deserved their lead. We've been awful.

Not sure I agree there mate. Have watched the whole game twice now and we had far superior possesion and played some good attacking football. Our chances were at least as good as there's. In fact Fab missed a bit of a sitter. Most of the chances on both sides to be fair were near the keepers and the sort of efforts that you would expect your keeper to save.

Taking nothing away from Villa who were great and contributed to a good game but we deserved at least a point I thought. Part of the problem is that unless we steamroller teams, especially at home, there is this mentality that we've had a bad game. Shame on the fans who left early and missed the equaliser.

Overall not a great week results wise. The momentum is with ManU but they have played a couple of teams this week that pretty much rolled over like obedient dogs. With Derby and Bolton coming up next they could be clear if we don't pull our socks up a bit. Wigan and Middlesbrough for us. Should be six points at this stage of the season if you want to win the League so its a good test. Milan result is pretty key for confidence.

ezee ryder
04-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Been watching a little of the Milan game, Arsenal should be winning! Milan have been pretty awful, Arsenal have had way more of the ball and Fabregas hit the bar. You can hear the crowd getting in the backs of the Milan players, the game is there to be won for Arsenal in the second half

toythatkills
04-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm enjoying reading how amazing the game is on the BBC website, while being forced to watch Manchester United because ITV can't see past them.

Sodding ITV.

Myth
04-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Its on ITV4 if you have freeview at least?

Bleeders
04-03-2008, 07:36 PM
What's wrong with ITV4?

Budge74
I'm enjoying reading how amazing the game is on the BBC website, while being forced to watch Manchester United because ITV can't see past them.

Sodding ITV.
It is on ITV4 you know? :)

I'm finding this quite unbearable to watch.
There's no question Arsenal outplayed Milan in the first half, but I fear the inevitable... :(

MarioMark

Sodding ITV.

Yeah it's all Arsenal.

It's on ITV 4 maman. :)

MarioMark
04-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Its on ITV4 if you have freeview at least?

What's wrong with ITV4?

It is on ITV4 you know? :)

It's on ITV 4 maman. :)

:lol:

toythatkills
04-03-2008, 07:45 PM
I can't get ITV4! I can get six freeview channels on my TV, and they're all BBC ones :(

Manchester United always get the coverage on ITV1 so I never get to watch anyone they share their days games with, and it's always bloody Arsenal! How they don't realise that Arsenal vs. AC Milan has more potential for excitement and talent on show than United's game is beyond me. I might complain to them. Heh

ezee ryder
04-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I can't get ITV4! I can get six freeview channels on my TV, and they're all BBC ones :(

Manchester United always get the coverage on ITV1 so I never get to watch anyone they share their days games with, and it's always bloody Arsenal! How they don't realise that Arsenal vs. AC Milan has more potential for excitement and talent on show than United's game is beyond me. I might complain to them. Heh

Agree, AC Milan vs Arsenal would be the more attractive game to the neutral football fan but ITV are probably thinking viewing figures.

Pilotwings
04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
can you not watch it on your pc? I'm watching the arsenal match on my pc and utd match on tv.

toythatkills
04-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Agree, AC Milan vs Arsenal would be the more attractive game to the neutral football fan but ITV are probably thinking viewing figures.

It's OK, the Man U fans could watch their team on ITV4 :dry:

ezee ryder
04-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Deserved goal for Arsenal! They are as good as through now.

Myth
04-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Put ITV on now :)

Pilotwings
04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
2-o:ph34r:

ezee ryder
04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
2-0 to Arsenal. Well done to the Gooners, a superb performance.

Rossco
04-03-2008, 08:33 PM
2-0 to Arsenal. Well done to the Gooners, a superb performance.

Blasphemy! :blink:

ezee ryder
04-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Blasphemy! :blink:

:lol: Credit where it is due, they made AC look like a pretty average team tonight.

EJG1980
Pains me to say it as a Spurs fan and a big follower of Italian football, but Arsenal were simply outstanding tonight, played Milan off the park in every area. I did wonder for a while if it was going to be a classic Milan "play crap, sneak through at the end" performance but even I have to admit that would have been a huge injustice.

VR46
Cracking result for Arsenal, a 2-0 away win at AC Milan would be happily taken by any team.

neoboy259
04-03-2008, 08:40 PM
How good were Cesc, Adebayor, Flamini and Walcott when he came on? Fantastic night, hopefully will kick start our season.

B1gBeard
04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Absolutely amazing performance. The difference in fitness and drive was incredible. Milan looked completely bamboozeled for a lot of the game.

I wonder if Milan lost the psycological battle in the first leg. It was almost like they showed us too much respect.

End of an era for that team now.

Pilotwings
04-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Flip that was some goal by fabra. Looked even better on a 2nd look.

jezzace
04-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Great! Superb! Reminded me of two seasons ago when we continued to beat 'bigger' teams to get to the final. Hopefully this will have a positive effect on our league form as well.

On a side note, didn't watch the match as I don't have freeview so avoided all football on news and such, started watching the highlights and my housemate walks in and says 'can't believe arsenal actually won tonight' :mad:

Shozuki
04-03-2008, 11:18 PM
cant ruddy believe it, hail Cesc! what a player! scary to think he's so young!

rmoxon
04-03-2008, 11:48 PM
AC Milian are an aging team and probabaly looking a bit past it now, but it still takes alot to go away in europe and win so confideidently, so even though it pains me to say it I have to give credit to arsenal, they were really great today, be even more intresting who they get in the next round now....

B1gBeard
09-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Lacklustre performance today.

You could look at the pitch, which I think by today's standards was not really good enough to host a Premiership match but ultimately we huffed and puffed and didn't create a lot.

I think the next nine games are really going to show that we are still lacking the savy and experience for a close run in but its all good experience to take forward to next season.

neoboy259
09-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah, its unfortunate that we've suffered/are suffering a blip in form at the business end of the season. Still plenty of positives to take from this campaign, and our future's looking pretty promising.

neoboy259
14-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Damn, looks like the thieving scallies will be in North London twice in the space of four days. Best tell the neighbours to hide their cars. :D

Oh, and there'll also be 5000 Liverpool fans to deal with :p

hudson
14-03-2008, 04:01 PM
oi! Only thing I ever stole was a Farley's Rusk from my brother's baby food cupboard.

Yer racist! :P

Pilotwings
14-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Farley's Rusks:wub: The memories come flooding back.

B1gBeard
15-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Another potential banana skin today taking into account our current league form.

I'm looking for a big performance from Ade. I think his form when he was scoring for fun has gone to his head and he hasn't been putting in the work for the last few weeks. Needs to come down to earth with a bump a bit.

I wonder if glass legs will start today and how many games we will get out of him before he is injured again.

neoboy259
15-03-2008, 04:58 PM
F*ck's sake we've been ****e. Looks like the title race is over.

Congrats Utd.

B1gBeard
15-03-2008, 05:08 PM
F*ck's sake we've been ****e. Looks like the title race is over.

Congrats Utd.

Radio said its a shock but on this form its really not. Typical sloppy goal given away and a very lethargic performance up front. Its amazing that this team with the talent they have can barely buy a goal at the moment in the Prem. No punch up front at all.

Anything other than a win today and that'll be it really.

neoboy259
15-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Radio said its a shock but on this form its really not. Typical sloppy goal given away and a very lethargic performance up front. Its amazing that this team with the talent they have can barely buy a goal at the moment in the Prem. No punch up front at all.

Anything other than a win today and that'll be it really.

On this form we can forget all about the Champions League or finishing even 3rd. Liverpool are coming into form and can see Torres mullering us in a few weeks time.

Thank feck for our stunning early season form, or we'd be scrapping with Everton and Liverpool for fourth place. We still play some nice, decent stuff, but the end product's no longer there.

B1gBeard
15-03-2008, 05:22 PM
On this form we can forget all about the Champions League or finishing even 3rd. Liverpool are coming into form and can see Torres mullering us in a few weeks time.

Thank feck for our stunning early season form, or we'd be scrapping with Everton and Liverpool for fourth place. We still play some nice, decent stuff, but the end product's no longer there.

61%-39% in the first half. Really any team with that sort of possesion shouldn't be having these problems.