Sony announce PSVR for PS4. Project Morpheus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony announce PSVR for PS4. Project Morpheus

Apparently Sony have been working on Move VR intergration now for over 4 years.

Greetings from GDC 2014! Earlier this evening, I had the pleasure to introduce Project Morpheus, SCE’s prototype virtual reality (VR) system that works with PS4. Virtual reality is the next innovation from SCE that we believe will shape the future of games. I have long dreamed about VR and the possibilities it brings in regards [...]

Now is the time to show it off.

1080p display, 90-degree field of view.

Tracking duties are handled by the existing PS4 PlayStation Camera, which polls at 1000Hz (one thousand times every second it's checking your position) and you can turn 360 degrees
    Which means PlayStation Camera will be required for tracking of course.

Sony have got demos at GDC but most interesting of all EVE Valkyrie which was announced as an Oculus exclusive.

Twitter Quote from the Doritos Pope to get excited about.

Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley 42s
    Developers who have used Project Morpheus tell me the fidelity of the image and experience is superior to Oculus Rift.
    Q&A's from the show, via the Verge.

Are you going to create a VR-specific operating system?
    They're still just working on getting it to work on the PS4.
    A 5-meter wire currently connects the headset, but they're working on freeing it up. They're refusing to answer any questions on final specs or when it's coming out ("as soon as possible, for as low as possible.")
    Will the hardware work with PC? "Our current focus is on PlayStation." Of course, they're not ruling anything out. "As a technical person, it's possible, but we're not discussing product decisions today."
    "You can also only use a single one per PlayStation"
    Last edited by Family Fry; 11-01-2016, 11:38.

I'm surprised by the Eve news because as you said it was announced as a Rift exclusive, even published/financed by OR iirc but 2 of the best things that VR will bring to PS4 are:

Finally being able to play CDs on our PS4's. Virtually!

And as for the NASA project, forget Mars, imagine seeing attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion & c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannh?user Gate!
    Last edited by Mr M0by; 19-03-2014, 02:42.

Comment

It looks like something Daft Punk would wear. Interested to see how it compares to Oculus even though I very much doubt the whole vr wavevwill gain much traction with the general populace.

Comment

I thought the same Daft Punk! But it's actually just the stacking arrangement in the 3rd pic that has fooled us.

Comment

We might get Energy Airforce 3 now.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Those blue LEDs would be distracting. I had to put tape over the blue light on my PS3 because I found it too distracting. My eye zones in on blue LEDs like a moth to a lightbulb. I cut the wire to the blue LED on my modded Xbox. They are awful.

Now they put blue LEDs in / on the headset? Madness.

Comment

I'm interested!

I'll be back in a bit, I'm just off to email Sandlot to ensure they make their PS4 Earth Defense Force game compatible with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                Those blue LEDs would be distracting. I had to put tape over the blue light on my PS3 because I found it too distracting. My eye zones in on blue LEDs like a moth to a lightbulb. I cut the wire to the blue LED on my modded Xbox. They are awful.

I think it's just sat on a box with a light inside it.
                There's a vent on the side of the box to cool the bulbs and the headset is only lit where it touches the white perspex top.

A man walks into a dentist and says "Help! I think I'm a moth!"
                The dentist replies "I can't help you, I'm a dentist."
                The man concedes "I know, but you left your light on."

Comment

Just when you think you're getting away with no hardware purchases in a year...

Comment

How am I going to put my headphones on over this thing?

Comment

Aren't the blue lights used for the tracking? I doubt you can see them when you're wearing it.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post

Distracting to who? You'll be wearing the headset dude; you won't see them lol.

EDIT: what Daryl said.

Comment

SOLD.

Sadly it probably won't be out for ages. I would pay up to ?500 for a PS4 VR bundle I think, including the camera and headset.

Provided there was some software for it, of course.

Comment

Will it have a 3D slider so I can switch the 3D off after the novelty wears off?

Comment

The biggest consideration definitely needs to be software, Sony does love releasing peripherals then over 12 months phasing out support for it. This is going to likely be an expensive peripheral with select support, wait and see would definitely be wise post release

Comment

Working...
                              X