Random Retro Goodness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Retro Goodness

I'm not sure if this thread will die a death or become a go to like the other 2 Retro threads but thought this might be a good place to put random finds, thoughts, opinions and chat about what you're thinking of buying next. There's been several times where I wanted to chat about something but the "What have you brought" & "What have you been playing" threads did not cover it so thought a catch all thread about random retro stuff might be appreciated. We will see I guess and Mods feel free to remove if so!

After all the Ridge Racer talk and being reminded why it's one of my favourite race series, I was looking online and came across this long play of Ridge Racer Revolution. It's now been playing non-stop in my headphones at work all lunchtime and I can't get some of the songs out of my head. The music track playing at 26:53 is pretty sweet!

Actually, forget it. The whole complete soundtrack from Ridge Racer, Revolution, Rage, Type 4 and V is proper, vintage video game music. Grip...

Lucid Rhythms, and the whole Type 4 Soundtrack is my most played album of all time, just chill out bliss.

I've got the Type 4 album, it's just magic. Got the soundtrack to V too which I love. Ace!

Comment

I have the 4 album too. The end credits music almost brings a tear to my eye. It's beautiful.

Comment

How about the games itself i always saw ridge racer as a series to show off what a new system could do? While i enjoy(ed) the series i prefer to play ridge racer on a handheld, the psp ones are brilliant, as is the 3ds one.

Shame it's unlikely were going to see another game

Comment

Love Ridge. Tons of replay value and depth in control. Hard to master.

Comment

I was recently playing Ridge Racer 2 on PSP because it has all the tracks from the PS1 games. I wasn't good enough to unlock all the tracks though

Comment

Ridge Racers 2 is an absolute must on PSP. It's not UMD Passport though, and I'm loathe to drop the ridiculous price to have it on Vita.

Revolution is where it's at for score attack though. The original is hella fun with the 13th Racing, but Revolution is a tighter game, and the handling is even more brutal than the original. You can pull off some insane times with the White Angel and Chibi 13th Racing. It's just a shame that you cannot race the original course.

Rage is an odd one. It has much of the original feel, but it's overly-expansive in certain ways. The forced manual transmission is not to my liking, and unnecessary IMO.
              Last edited by J0e Musashi; 15-09-2015, 19:02.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Ridge Racer fans should check out Ray Tracers. It's available on Vita/TV. It's a bizarre cross between the original Ridge Racer and Chase H.Q. The handling will likely not be to your liking, but it's quite fun nonetheless.

You should just make this into a Ridge Racer thread I reckon [MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION].
                Last edited by J0e Musashi; 15-09-2015, 19:36.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Agreed on Ray Tracers, fancy future chase hq.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                    Ridge Racer fans should check out Ray Tracers. It's available on Vita/TV. It's a bizarre cross between the original Ridge Racer and Chase H.Q. The handling will likely not be to your liking, but it's quite fun nonetheless.

You should just make this into a Ridge Racer thread I reckon [MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION].
                    Must admit, I never really liked Ray Tracers.

I think someone on Rllmuk got loads of us excited about the game and after picking it up the excitement dried up. The control is okay but with no depth and although you could argue the courses are more knockabout than other Arcade games, their was something very unrefined about the whole experience.

As I'm setting up the PlayStation in my new front room and giving it pride of place, maybe I'll have to re-visit it.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                      Ridge Racers 2 is an absolute must on PSP.
                      Is RR2 available on the PSP/Vita in the UK, via PSN?

Back when I had a PSPGo, I seem to remember only the first one was available (it was one of those daft UK licencing things - like how Syphon Filter 1&3 were on PSN, but not 2).

If it is, that'd tempt me to get a Vita. I liked the 3DS RR a great deal, but nowhere near as much as the PSP ones.

Comment

You could always get the Vita Ridge Racer hahahahaha

Comment

I'm not a Ray Tracers fan either. Just feels a bit lightweight.

Revolution though. Probably the most infuriating racing game known to man. One mistake and 'haha you're too slow!'.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Is RR2 available on the PSP/Vita in the UK, via PSN?

Back when I had a PSPGo, I seem to remember only the first one was available (it was one of those daft UK licencing things - like how Syphon Filter 1&3 were on PSN, but not 2).

If it is, that'd tempt me to get a Vita. I liked the 3DS RR a great deal, but nowhere near as much as the PSP ones.
                            Sadly not, J-PSN only. And it's about ?20.

I think I'm going to pick it up though.

Comment

Actually, we were talking a lot about loving the style of Type 4 in terms of menus and music etc. Well the front end, UI and music of the PSP Ridge Racers I still adore to this day. When I got my import PSP and put it on for the first time, I was just amazed and part of that was simply the menu and the music and the airport theme. Wonderful design.

And then Vita Ridge happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X