Manhunt - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manhunt - Discussion

Part survival horror, action, stealth game and shooter, Manhunt was one of the most interesting titles of the last generation. Combining several genres inside one of the bleakest, atmospheric game worlds created over the last five years, it's handling of violence and horror left many distinctly uncomfortable.

Welcome to the replay thread.
    Last edited by charlesr; 02-07-2007, 08:04.

Fired this up last night. Was expecting a massive intro, but pleasantly surprised by the somewhat true to story line straight into the thick of it style.

Walked down the first street and it's gotta be said, it looks ace.

I'm trying to remain positive but I think I'm going to be bored to tears if there's too much stealth.
    Last edited by charlesr; 04-07-2007, 09:32.

Comment

I think it's fair to say it's entirely stealth. I don't think there's ever been a game with more stealth. If you try to take people on hand-to-hand in anything but the first couple of levels, you'll be beaten to death very quickly.

I have to avoid using the machete in this game because the decapitation is really quite sickening.

One of the things that's always annoyed me about stealth games is that I've always felt that each encounter with a baddie should be a sort of puzzle. Where you have to work out how to distract them. More often than not, I simply end up blundering my way through.

Comment

I managed to not play The Darkness last night and fired up this for a little play and found myself really getting into it. It's incredibly atmospheric with Starkweather barking his orders through the headset and really reminds me of classic 80's sci-fi action like The Running Man.

I also found myself being pretty unmoved by the brutality. Maybe I have become desensitised, but even the crunchingly brutal baseball smash felt cartoony in a Dead Rising way to me. The real suspense comes from creeping up on people and waiting for the reticule to turn red before they notice you.

Early impressions, but having missed this entirely when it came out I'm suprisingly impressed by the obvious polish, intruiging storyline and heart in mouth moments. It even holds up pretty well graphically/artisticly. The sequel must have been significantly worse than this to get banned because this is surely no worse than Condemned or any other horror title.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          Fired this up last night. Was expecting a massive intro, but pleasantly surprised by the somewhat true to story line straight into the thick of it style.

Walked down the first street and it's gotta be said, it looks ace.

I'm trying to remain positive but I think I'm going to be bored to tears if there's too much stealth.
          It's an combination of different genres. Without wishing to spoil it too much, the first half is very much stealth but things take a sharp turn later on and it becomes a lot more action packed for a number of scenes.

I know this'll annoy some people as it isn't used all that often in the game, but Manhunt was doing the over the shoulder gun viewpoint (not to mention being able to aim/walk at the same time) two whole years before Resident Evil 4. And when it comes to the gunplay making use of a similar cover system to Gears three years before it was released.

Of course those games most likely took their influences elsewhere, but they're there when it comes to Manhunt's action scenes (of which there are a few).
          Last edited by Concept; 04-07-2007, 11:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Jusatsushi
            I managed to not play The Darkness last night and fired up this for a little play and found myself really getting into it. It's incredibly atmospheric with Starkweather barking his orders through the headset and really reminds me of classic 80's sci-fi action like The Running Man.
            Yeah, the atmosphere is certainly the game's strongest aspect.

I should have booted it up and taken a good look earlier but there are two other problems with the 360 emulation. One, the 16:9 option isn't there from the PS2 game (Manhunt looks surprisingly decent on a HDTV, bar the text there isn't the usual blockiness you'd associate with a SD title. I'm not sure if it was there for the Xbox).

Two, there isn't anywhere to alter the sensitivity in the options for the headset to be loud enough to pick up breathing.

The opening cutscene seemed skip for me with the headset plugged in too, though that may just be my copy of the game.

Comment

My copy arrived today so fired it up after I had finished the Darkness.

Mayweathers voice creeped me out as my headset was set to max at first so soon adjusted that.

I have only done the first level and if I am being honest so far it hasn't got me wanting more although I will persevere if only to see the machete decap , hopefully this will change as I progress further but again if I am being honest I have never really gotten on with the stealth genre

It does look good though even if it does have huge left and right borders on the 360 and the filters really work well I feel and make it look very grim indeed.

Will leave my initial comments there until I have played some more tomorrow evening

Comment

Originally posted by MikeF View Post
                My copy arrived today so fired it up after I had finished the Darkness.

Mayweathers voice creeped me out as my headset was set to max at first so soon adjusted that.
                Ahhhhh, I thought that that there were some additional sections of dialogue that I hadn`t heard. I`d previously played the PS2 version but thought I`d get the xbox version this time round, so Starkweather talks to you through the headset does he?

After getting The Darkness out of the way I started playing this last night and I`m absolutely loving it. I got up to Piggsy after destroying the Warhogs, those machete kills are brilliant and even the white target machete kill is beyond brutal.

The only gripe I have with this game is the same one I had with the PS2 version when I played it years ago and that`s the shooting sections. If the game had stayed stealth all the way through that would`ve been great in my opinion, but it gets a bit silly when it starts turning into the A-Team. It`s still a graet game though.

I`ll post more when I`ve completed it.

Comment

I've played this a bit more today. If anyone is unsure, do persevere - the
                  later on mix it up and keeps it entertaining.

I would most likely have found it highly confusing if Concept hadn't told us that the game changes. If I'm playing a stealth game, I play stealthily: so when I first came across the
                  I was still trying to find somewhere to hide and leap out on NPCs.

Comment

Just finished the game. Have to say it was actually very good. The earlier murdering was not such a big part of the game and only because you had to.

Anyone else see those action figure mockups in the extras?

So come on, everyone - play Manhunt! The only disappointment for me was that

Starkweather doesn't actually look like Brian Cox

Comment

Still trying to source a copy. >_<
                      Am I missing out without the head set?

Comment

The headset adds an extra element of immersion. If you're playing it on 360, you'll need to have one to hear the starkweather's dialogue at all. You can use an OG Xbox Communicator if you don't have a 360 headset.

If anyone really needs one, I could post an OG Xbox communicator to you as I have a couple spare.

Comment

Originally posted by Emir View Post
                          Still trying to source a copy. >_<
                          Am I missing out without the head set?
                          Depends which version. Monomaniacpat is right - it does add to the immersion.

I'd say the headset is more critical to the PS2 though - the breathing system in trying not to be heard doesn't really work on the 360's headset.

To be honest, the game's still strongly atmospheric with a good pair of headphones.

Comment

GAMES MADE MY SON KILL

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick View Post
                              the use of CAPS LOCK at random points in that ARTICLE is majestic journalism.

that writer's PARENTS must be so glad they spent all that MONEY on their university EDUCATION.

Comment

Working...
                              X