Name that film / movie thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name that film / movie thread

Did a search and could not find anything, so thought I'd start a topic.

Describe scenes or parts of films you've seen, but cannot remember the title and cannot find them by searching IMDB.

Year: Sometime, anytime before 1994 (in colour)

Description:
    It's an action comedy adventure. A man and a woman are on a dirty aeroplane, just them and the pilot. Maybe a cargo plane? They're escaping from somewhere, in South America? The Congo? East Asia? The Middle East? There's forest or mountain or somewhere exotic.

The plane is running out of fuel, but the man and woman do not know this. I think they might be sleeping. The pilot sees this, and hits the fuel gauge with his hand. It jolts up a bit, to appear as if they have more fuel. He goes back to sleep because the plane is on autopilot. He wakes up, sees the fuel is low again, so hits the gauge again. It won't go up any more so he bails out.

The couple wake up and find the pilot missing and no more fuel, so they find his instructions on how to land. I seem to recall they were written on a piece of cardboard from a box of coca cola? Whatever. They read the instructions aloud and the first one is to find "fat ground" - whereupon the man and woman start laughing because he spelled "flat" wrong.

I can remember nothing else.

I thought it might be Airplane! the movie, but I don't think so. It was a more serious action adventure type film, starring Americans, from the 1980s. I cannot recall any of the actors. I can't remember much at all apart from this specific scene, quite vividly. I was a kid when watching it.

Any ideas?

Also list your own and maybe we can all help each other out.

Was the guy Harrison Ford? Could be 'Six days seven nights'??

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      Was the guy Harrison Ford? Could be 'Six days seven nights'??
      A smart guess - I actually watched and recall Six Days Seven Nights. But no, sadly. That's far too late a release.

I saw this with my parents as a kid, so I would guess it was released between 1988 and 1993. Definitely no later than 1994.

It's so weird how my brain can vividly recall this fat pilot hitting the dashboard of his plane, but not the faces of the main actors.

Comment

Romancing the Stone?
        Jewel of the Nile?
        Air America?

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
          Air America?
          Loved this movie, especially the bit where they're colouring in that kid's book in a storm. It made no sense, which made it excellent.

Romancing the Stone?
          Fairly sure it's not - though I remember them finding a crashed plane in the jungle and burning a bunch of cannabis it was carrying.

Jewel of the Nile?
          You know, I couldn't remember anything of this, so had a quick check of a bootleg upload on YouTube, thinking it might be - but it's not. They do steal a jet though, and it fits the profile of a man and woman on an adventure.

I am starting to suspect this might have been one of those el cheapo action comedy movies the 1980s churned out in the dozens... Or something fairly obscure.

Does no one else have any they can't think of?

EDIT:
          Trawling IMDB I am wondering if it wasn't one of the Qautermain films:
          King Solomon's Mines
          Lost City of Gold

Sadly I have not seen either... But it fits the profile, possibly.
          Last edited by Sketcz; 07-03-2019, 10:12.

Comment

Working...
          X