Open Source Scan Converter - OSSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Source Scan Converter - OSSC

So let’s continue with the OSSC discussion...

Is anyone using it with a 4K telly? 720p output and letting the TV do the 3x scale? I’m looking at the LG UJ750V set, which apparently has a 12ms response/lag, even with HDR content in game mode. I’m wondering how much extra lag would be introduced scaling 720p to 2160p, even though it’s a simple 3x scale.

1080p output and a 2x scale would be better I'd have thought?

Comment

Got my OSSC today, very excited to give it a try. Is it worth upgrading to an expensive SCART cable like this? Do they make much of a difference compared to a standard one like this? I want to get this setup right so I'm not looking to cheap out, I'm not very knowledgeable about AV setups and am wondering how much of a difference it makes.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
        Got my OSSC today, very excited to give it a try. Is it worth upgrading to an expensive SCART cable like this? Do they make much of a difference compared to a standard one like this? I want to get this setup right so I'm not looking to cheap out, I'm not very knowledgeable about AV setups and am wondering how much of a difference it makes.
        Not too keen on that store - I have had 3 bnc -scart cables fail and the one I told them about, they were as useful as a chocolate fire guard and never even offered to replace it. When I opened it up, i would be embarrassed if i had sold, It to someone, given the quality of wiring. Sorry back to your question. The official ps1scart is a great quality scart lead, but pricey. The blaze ps2 scart lead is excellent too. It’s all about the shielding and quality of components for analogue RGB

Comment

I've had to fix their work before on more than one occasion too. Granted that was some time ago now, but really.

Comment

Cool, I'll steer clear of those guys then.

Comment

Just been fiddling with the OSSC.

PS2 doesn't look better going via component into the OSSC than just straight component to HDMI into my TV. Reading around, this is to be expected since the OSSC doesn't do much with a 480 signal.

Tried my Dreamcast with VGA but I'm getting a hellish flickering from it. Not sure what's causing it so googling around for answers. Might be that my cheap VGA cable I bought a couple of years ago and barely used is just bad.

Comment

Testing with a VGA to HDMI converter, the Dreamcast VGA cable is fine. I just get flickering with the OSSC. Not sure why but also, I don't really care since I got this for PS1 stuff.

Comment

Sorry for the hijack but if retrogamingcables are no longer recommended, where’s the best now?

Comment

Just thought I'd update with my OSSC experience.

Got my PS2, PS1 and Gamecube all going in through a scart splitter. The PS1 goes up to x5 lines but on x2, x3 and x5 the picture is really dark so I'm going with x4 and it looks amazing. The PS2 is line doubled from 480 and looks really good. The Gamecube is also on x4 and looks lovely.

I also have a Wii plugged in via component, being doubled from 480 and that looks nice and sharp.

I've had two problems. A Dreamcast going in via VGA had a horrible flickering. I've not dug too deeply into it as I have a VGA to HDMI box that it can go through and that looks great. My other problem is that using a Freeloader on my PAL GC to run a US Killer7 just gives me a black screen. I tried the Famitsu Resi4 demo disc as I've run that with a Freeloader in the past and it was fine so it must be the signal from that game or NTSCU on a PAL machine. No idea, I'm not very good at this stuff.

Anyway, very, very happy with the OSSC and the picture quality coming out of it. Your mileage may vary as I'm not an AV nerd. Also, your TV needs to be in game mode. I had some troubles with stretched images that were fixed by switching to game mode. I remember putting my TV in game mode ages ago but at some point it switched back without me realising.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post

I've had two problems. A Dreamcast going in via VGA had a horrible flickering. I've not dug too deeply into it as I have a VGA to HDMI box that it can go through and that looks great.
                      Are you using the official VGA box? I don't have the flicker issue when using the official Sega box straight into the OSSC.

Comment

No, it's a random 3rd party one off Amazon. I figure it's a bad cable and the OSSC doesn't like it.

Comment

So what’s the deal with Dreamcast and OSSC?

I was looking at the Kuro VGA box as it supports both 15/31KHz. My OSSC 1.5 has the digital audio mod board installed so I can use the headphone jack as an input, but according to the manual you need to disconnect Scart to do so. Or at least it’s recommended... is this still the case?

It looks like I’ll have to run a separate audio cable to the monitor, or even just connect VGA directly to the monitor too... or maybe just use a DC Scart cable into the OSSC via Scart switch.

So um yeah. How do you have your Dreamcast connected?

EDIT: So I emailed Matt at Videogameperfection and the lovely chap replied on a Sunday morning. Turns out I just need to use these cables and take the audio from the Scart switch.

Last edited by _SD_; 25-03-2018, 18:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            1080p output and a 2x scale would be better I'd have thought?
                            Because 240p doesn’t scale directly to 1080p, you either get 960p and a black bar along the bottom or 1200p and 120 lines missing from the top of the display. Both of which are bloody annoying.

I’m now testing my AES Garou at 720p on me 4K telly to see how it compares to the PS4 release. I think that 55” is far too large for these older games... I’m looking at 27” 1440p gaming monitors to replace my 1080p one.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread for this. I’ve taken the plunge and ordered an OSSC for my modded PAL Saturn and am thinking of upgrading my cheapy third party RGB Scart to a better one. Thing is I’m not sure where to get one from. Doing a quick search online, Retro Gaming Cables seem to be recommend by a few websites. Are their cables any good?

Comment

Working...
                              X