No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a tribute to [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION], I tried to get those mushroom sweets or Thornton's truffles for after the show, but I got the Munchies instead.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      Do any of these bands you're talking about have live guitar and drums like CB?

Keytar is not a valid answer.
      I guess not all would suit guitar. Carpenter Brut does but many wouldn’t. I think The Midnight have live guitar and sax at the very least. But Perturbator was just him and his synths and he was brilliant. That kid knows how to hold a crowd. Some are just great live performers. I have never seen Future Holotape but they often post up videos of them just jamming on synths and they are great and you can often hear it in their tracks where they let loose on the synths and it sounds like a single take. I’d say their shows are a lot of fun. But others construct their music more and that’s where it gets trickier in terms of what they can do live.

Comment

Generally speaking, I like guitars with samples rather than samples with guitars, if you know what I mean.

A fave of mine and [MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION] is Senser.
        I love this video by their drummer:

Comment

Continuing to feed your desire for more
          But deep down you know the truth
          You'll never find what you're looking for
          It's gone and you can't buy it back
          And now your senses are under attack

Senser are lyrically and musically amazing. Currently sat listening to How To Do Battle. Not as good as To The Capsules (too heavy on the deep power guitar chords), but some great moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
            I’m also glad you enjoyed the gig QC, that’s a great picture by the way as well.

I’m gonna be controversial here about all the synth based gods, I think once you have seen that type of band live once there’s no need to see them again, at least not until new material comes out.
            Thanks! I only took a handful of pics as they were in the dark most of the time (no spots on them). I thought this summed things up nicely.

Yeah, I had a suspicion that repetition is a bit of an issue when everything is pre-programmed.
            Not all "analogue" bands can do it, but when one changes the set around or responds to a crowd request, it's always impressive.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            I guess not all would suit guitar. Carpenter Brut does but many wouldn’t. I think The Midnight have live guitar and sax at the very least. But Perturbator was just him and his synths and he was brilliant.
            Yeah, I'm not a synth convertee just yet! CB straddle the two worlds nicely. Given the choice, I;d always listen to the Live album rather than Trilogy as I think it's lacking without the guitar and drums.

I'll take your word about Peturbator, but GosT felt like he'd been playing one song for an hour, but only 16 minutes had elapsed. I checked my watch 20 minutes later, but it reality only a further 4 had passed.

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Senser are lyrically and musically amazing. Currently sat listening to How To Do Battle. Not as good as To The Capsules (too heavy on the deep power guitar chords), but some great moments.
            That first album is still amazing, even without rose tints.
            Their subsequent work is also worth a listen, but struggles to meet that lofty height.
            It's interesting to hear the different albums as various band members come and go, but the golden line-up is the original one (I think that's the current one too) with Kerstin and Heitham sharing vocals, Nick pumping out the guitar riffs and John (from the vid above) on drums.

Comment

Not one for anyone on here I guess, but I booked Nathaniel Rateliff & the night sweats in January at the Barrowlands today then London the week after. One of my wife and my favourite bands, especially live. Then a week later it's back to the Barrowlands for an awesome double header of the sheepdogs and rival sons. 2019 shaping up nicely already!

Comment

Off to see NY ska sensations The Slackers on Monday night. I don't get to as many gigs as I'd like these days so really looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  Not one for anyone on here I guess, but I booked Nathaniel Rateliff & the night sweats in January at the Barrowlands today then London the week after. One of my wife and my favourite bands, especially live. Then a week later it's back to the Barrowlands for an awesome double header of the sheepdogs and rival sons. 2019 shaping up nicely already!
                  God damn I miss the barras, I feel like I’m the other end of the world down here, London may be closer but you can’t beat that ballroom for a gig.

Comment

It always sounds like a ridiculously big statement, but it’s easily one of the best live venues in the world. I’m not a big fan of Glasgow as a city (No offence FF) but it’s a Scottish gem. The atmosphere inside it, the acoustics, the sprung dance floor. Epic.

Comment

Would totally agree it’s one of the best in the world.
                      It’s always talked about as one of the best in UK/EU, I have to say that bouncy floor has got me through MANY a gig back in’t day, you hear SO many bands also saying it’s one of the best venues to play, crowds are always a riot.
                      It has set such a high standard for me I can’t enjoy other venues now.

Also no offence about Glasgow, I couldn’t wait to get out of it.

Comment

Glasgow is kind of unavoidable for gigs though. The Barras is the best venue I've ever been to for a gig and it's a sentiment a lot of my friends and family share too.
                        I'm not sure I would want to live in Glasgow but like Liverpool the city centre has certainly improved over the years. Whether it's come quite a far as Liverpool in other respects is debatable. Unemployment, substance abuse and the bigot brothers are a blight on the city.

Comment

Went to see Slayer on their farewell tour last night. Still awesome after a long career. Uncle Tom looked the best he has in years and his voice was good too. It was a treat to see them in a larger venue as they had room for set changes and plenty of pyro. Support lineup was generous with Obituary (didn’t see them), Anthrax (best band there) and Lamb Of God who pretty much failed to move the crowd. Difficult following Anthrax to be fair.

Comment

I caught the London leg of that tour too last weekend. For shame, I skipped on Obituary and Anthrax, but enjoyed Lamb of God enough and Slayer a whole bunch. Really solid setlist, and despite having seated tickets (which my feet appreciated, given it was my third gig in as many days) I was sat behind a couple of awesome guys in their senior years, whose own enjoyment was near palpable and highly infectious.

Have started to get some 2019 bookings in; March has got HEALTH, and April has Cave In (a charity show to raise money for Caleb's family following his death), and then Daughters, which on the strength of their new album, I am very excited about.

Also there's a great story developing in the music community lately about 'Threatin' - a fake band that managed to book out a whole series of shows across Europe to inevitably turn up and play to an empty venue. There's a primer here but the whole circus surrounding it is still developing day by day

Comment

That Threatin story is actaully quite funny. At least all the venues got paid so hopefully weren’t out of pocket. I’m curious to see if it is some elaborate self promotion, which will likely work, or an “art” thing.

So jealous you’re going to see Cave In. Needless to say that they aren’t doing any shows in Scotland. That seems to be a bit of a theme already next year. No Rammstein or Muse dates in Scotland next year.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                                That Threatin story is actaully quite funny. At least all the venues got paid
                                Didn't they have to drag him to a cash point?

Brilliant story though!

Comment

Working...
                                X