• Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the best.

Comment

Talking of crib notes earlier, here's a useful one

Originally compiled by this chap: https://twitter.com/GuitarMoog

Comment

The Norway+ deal concept has been rejected by... Norway. It's amazing how days from the vote UK MP's have so many deal ideas all of a sudden though.

So... No Deal or No Brexit then

Comment

No brexit and cancelling article 50 is surely the only outcome now?

I mean if they just simply left with no deal I can see rioting in the streets.

Comment

Rioting either way

Comment

Or at least some harshly-worded tweets.

Comment

Originally posted by "Jo Johnson
                Norway-plus does not deliver on the referendum since...
                Does Norway plus mean we aren't in the EU anymore? If it does then it delivers on the referendum because that is ALL ANYONE VOTED FOR: LEAVE THE EU. NO LOGIC OR REASON WHY, JUST LEAVE OR STAY. So don't tell me we can't do X or Y because it doesn't deliver on the referendum. No Deal delivers on the referendum. Also, the referendum doesn't have to be delivered on anyway; it was a referendum not some new law.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

And predictably both wriggle free as ITV cancels its debate show
                  This should have been done, but in the form of Funhouse.
                  It's a quiz, it's a race, it's a real wacky place.

Comment

A Norway type deal would mostly mean that leaving the EU is a technicality, achieving what people voted for while keeping most of the trade benefits that previously existed. But it means your influence over the EU drops to effectively zero while still paying into it. It works for Norway so it can't be all that bad. I have to be honest, I'm not surprised Norway have objected to it - the UK's reputation for not playing well with others in the EU isn't new but it's hitting a new low right now. Countries that are working well together won't want Farage and his ilk coming in and just disrupting things for the hell of it.

Comment

It's almost like the UK is now finding out that it isn't, in fact, bigger than the rest of Europe and can't just demand exactly what it wants at the expense of everyone else.

And they'll find the exact same thing trading under WTO - it isn't a get out of jail free card.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      But it means your influence over the EU drops to effectively zero while still paying into it. It works for Norway so it can't be all that bad. I have to be honest, I'm not surprised Norway have objected to it - the UK's reputation for not playing well with others in the EU isn't new but it's hitting a new low right now. Countries that are working well together won't want Farage and his ilk coming in and just disrupting things for the hell of it.
                      It's not quite zero, being in the EFTA means the EU trading rules can be vetoed, but if one country in the EFTA vetoes they all do and that's why Norway doesn't want us as a member of it, given our history in the EU.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 07-12-2018, 10:50.

Comment

Oh I'm not saying we should do it; I'm just fed up with people saying it doesn't deliver on the referendum. If after March you go to the Wikipedia entry on EU countries and see the UK not on there then we delivered. There shouldn't have even been a referendum. Or, there should have been a third option on the voting form:

3. I don't have sufficient knowledge to answer the question. Please let the politicians do their job and make an informed decision for us.

Everyone should have answered 3.

Comment

I may have asked this before but what would happen if UK said ok, No Deal; we're outta here and we aren't having a hard border in Ireland? What problems would that cause and who would be required to actually do something about it, if anyone?

BTW, I do realise that we can't do that but I'm just curious as to the potential repercussions.

Comment

No deal would mean that there would have to be a hard border - there is no workaround.

Comment

Yes but there can technically be a hard border while nobody polices it. I think this is what Brad is asking and honestly don’t know the answer. If nobody allocates resources for it, I don’t know what happens. Another thing - how much does policing a hard border cost per year?

Comment

The UK might not police it in that event, but the EU wouldn't allow goods to flow through it unchecked.

The other complication is a hard border would destroy the Good Friday Agreement.

Comment

Working...
                                X