The Immortal - 1991

Rolo to the Rescue - 1992

Risky Woods - 1992

Desert Strike - 1992

The Haunting - 1993

B.O.B. - 1993

General Chaos - 1994

Shaq Fu - 1994

Twelve games that were published by EA for the Mega Drive. Which one do you like the most?
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-10-2018, 05:57.

Thanks, Leon!

Straight away, my mind went to Desert Strike, but then I saw the list and it's the only one I've played!

If one of the others gets a lot of love, I might try it out. Another reason why I like these threads.

That's not to detract from DS, because it's a brilliant game. It's actually got a decent sense of humour too.

I loved how there were multiple objectives to complete that encouraged replay for perfection.

It was also pretty tense. I remember the missions where you had to stop SCUD missiles from launching and seeing them lift off as you got there too late was awful.

The controls were really nice as there was a binary mode or momentum or you could steer headless (up is up) or controls (up is forward), but you felt a badass swooping in to an enemy camp, using the momentum to fly sideways around a gun turret as it failed to track you quickly enough, then lowering your rope to pick up the P.O.W.s.

Despite loving the game, I never bought Jungle Strike. I think it's because it was quite late into the life of the console and other distractions had taken over.

The only other MD EA game I thought of was Road Rash.

Comment

EA HOCKEY

Comment

Echoing QC on this one, I've only played Desert Strike of this selection. Watching to see what people say with interest though. Also, Desert Strike was great.

With EA games there was also the minigame of trying to pull the yellow plastic tab out, which was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
          EA HOCKEY
          I liked the hockey, but mainly wanted to fight.
          It was nuts that the later games had full fight minigames.
          Such a bad representation of the sport!

I thought John Madden was brilliant too!

Comment

Marble Madness is a stone cold classic. But I don't know if I played it on the Megadrive... maybe. It's a great game though. Frustrating but just a really simple concept done well. It's the precursor to Monkey Ball.

I owned The Haunting and it was a lot of fun. I wouldn't call it a fantastic game because most of the appeal was seeing the different animations play out but that in itself was worth it. The idea is that you are a ghost (Polterguy, I think) and you have to haunt a family out of their houses. You have a certain amount of ectoplasm which is like your energy and you can use that to move or inhabit objects - from small things like rippling a carpet to doing full-on Freddy Krueger type stuff. If you scared someone enough, they would run out of the house. If I remember correctly, you'd follow the family to their next house... or maybe it was a different family, I can't quite remember. If you ran out of ecto, you got thrown into some sort of underworld where you could get more. I actually really enjoyed this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Marble Madness is a stone cold classic. But I don't know if I played it on the Megadrive... maybe. It's a great game though. Frustrating but just a really simple concept done well. It's the precursor to Monkey Ball.

I owned The Haunting and it was a lot of fun. I wouldn't call it a fantastic game because most of the appeal was seeing the different animations play out but that in itself was worth it. The idea is that you are a ghost (Polterguy, I think) and you have to haunt a family out of their houses. You have a certain amount of ectoplasm which is like your energy and you can use that to move or inhabit objects - from small things like rippling a carpet to doing full-on Freddy Krueger type stuff. If you scared someone enough, they would run out of the house. If I remember correctly, you'd follow the family to their next house... or maybe it was a different family, I can't quite remember. If you ran out of ecto, you got thrown into some sort of underworld where you could get more. I actually really enjoyed this.
              I'm enjoying your half-remembered old man ramblings, Dogg!

Comment

EA HOCKEY
                This guy gets it. The original EA hockey was for me probably one of the best games on the system.

Comment

EA Hockey always makes me think of Mallrats.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Straight away, my mind went to Desert Strike, but then I saw the list and it's the only one I've played!
                    I was hoping to have interesting discussion about the wide range of games.

That's not to detract from DS, because it's a brilliant game. It's actually got a decent sense of humour too.
                    Yeah, it was a brilliant game back in the day. I remember the graphics seemed stunning at the time -- with all the details that really helped to make things feel special. Definitely one of EA's best MD games.

EA HOCKEY

As much as I like EA Hockey and games like Road Rash, I decided to make things more interesting/different by not including sports and racing games. I hope people can appreciate this approach.

I'm sure I'll make a thread including Hockey, Madden, Lotus, Road Rash etc.. at some point.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    With EA games there was also the minigame of trying to pull the yellow plastic tab out, which was fun.
                    I wonder how many ruined EA carts are on eBay?

I liked the hockey, but mainly wanted to fight.
                    It was nuts that the later games had full fight minigames.
                    Such a bad representation of the sport!

I thought John Madden was brilliant too!
                    Yeah, the Madden and Hockey games were great. I had a lot of fun with EA Hockey against friends.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Marble Madness is a stone cold classic. But I don't know if I played it on the Megadrive... maybe. It's a great game though.
                    It's a nice port that plays well. Definitely a 'must have' for people who like this sort of thing.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                    This guy gets it. The original EA hockey was for me probably one of the best games on the system.

Yeah, the EA Hockey games are excellent. But I decided to focus this thread on EA games away from the sports titles.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-10-2018, 10:41.

Comment

I spent many hours on Desert Strike and Jungle Strike, really very enjoyable and unique at the time. Also had the first game on the GameGear which was very cool at the time, but much more difficult on that tiny screen. I know I’ve had a go on B.O.B., it was a weekend rental I think, but I’m sure it was the SNES version.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                        I know I’ve had a go on B.O.B., it was a weekend rental I think, but I’m sure it was the SNES version.
                        I also played the SNES version back in the day. It's a quite nice looking game, but I found it frustrating and not much fun. Maybe I'll give the MD version a go sometime.

Comment

You also left out Buck Rogers, one of the best RPGs ever made.

Comment

You also left out Buck Rogers, one of the best RPGs ever made.
                            Sorry, sir. But that's just the way it is.

I've heard positive things about Buck Rogers though, so discussing other EA games/gems is welcomed.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-10-2018, 13:36.

Comment

Desert Strike or Marble Madness. Desert Strike was class in its day with beefy rotor sounds and animation. Great game. But Marble Madness holds a place in my heart dating back to the brilliant coin-op in Billingham Forum. Loved this game so much, and even though it was severely hobbled without the trackball it still had a load of charm on the MD.

I must also pledge my love of EA Hockey though ... a huge part of my 16-bit era happiness. It was the hockey game I'd always wanted.

Comment

Working...
                              X