No announcement yet.

Randomised Gaming Retro Videos & Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They look the same to me. Will check out the video though.
    By the way, did you have access to the JPN Saturn demo version? That's different again!

Comment

There are more snow patches and icicles texture maps. I much rather the NTSC Saturn ver myself, even if the Pal game is diplayed right ratio. Must say another excellent article by S3M and one, that will no doubt be copied by people who claim to have already known this.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        Anyone could see the Internet was future, Listen to Nintendo people still use floppy discs, dial-up, Parkrays and gas lamps. I remember both NiGHTS and Zwei supporting widescreen, but to be fair to Nintendo a lot of N64 games from the likes of RARE supported 16.9 and also Dolby.

N64 was the last console, Nintendo really pushed the boat out and made a games system.
        Yep,

Loved the n64 - wave race, 1080, f zero and pilotwings all gems!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          They look the same to me. Will check out the video though.
          By the way, did you have access to the JPN Saturn demo version? That's different again!
          Video is due tomorrow, but if you have a full read it explains a lot of the art changes in the few scenes we looked at. Comparing the first three level and the gym we saw art changes on all four.

Japanese demo looks just like the PAL one suspect it's just using the NTSC/J code or an earlier build, seems similar to the PAL demo.

Comment

Video comparison is also now up on YouTube, it only covers the earl level but there are a clear number of changes, to the environment art. On top of many other changes,. However we do believe the Saturn version uses an early build of the game engine compared to both the PS1 and PC version.

Comment

Quick gameplay video from the end of last Virtua Fighter Kids, always been a bit mixed on this one as it's just an altered Virtua Fighter 2. Any fans of it here the lack of discussion on it over the years would suggest not.

Comment

Right gameplay video on Bubble Bobble also featuring Rainbow Islands, this is one of those collection as a kid was great. However years later once you play the arcade versions you realise how badly off it is. Fairplay to the developers they are actually ports and not emulation. but both games have half their content cut. Rainbow Islands is a port of the Amiga version so only seven Island and hard mode got axed from Bubble Bobble:

New graphics look nice, once you get over that intro.

Comment

Huge video just went up on the channel, where we look at the ********* Sega made of the PAL version of Daytona USA, screwed up timer, altered game speed not the same as the NTSC version, all in the name of PAL optimisation. Yet they couldn't be bothered to correct the huge borders that blighted the screen and nor do they adjust the stunningly fast frame rate of 17fps, perfect for a smooth gaming experience. Or not as the case is in the super jerky PAL version. Even a raw unoptimised version of the game would have been better than what we got.

This applies to most of the Sega PAL optimised racers sadly, they really can't be saved as a version, forcing them in 60Hz just creates even more issues.Still the NTSC version always did play much better.
                  Last edited by S3M; 17-02-2018, 01:02.

Comment

An obscure PAL only PS1 title this week helicopter shooter Viper, which came from some of the Tunnel B1 team. Anyone here played this one before?

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                      An obscure PAL only PS1 title this week helicopter shooter Viper, which came from some of the Tunnel B1 team. Anyone here played this one before?

Yes, and it just feels like a nice tech demo. Originally this was going to be in Tunnel B1 all as one game. I also remember seeing a very early beta version of the game on ITV Movies games and videos and it looked a hell of a lot better than the final game

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        Yes, and it just feels like a nice tech demo. Originally this was going to be in Tunnel B1 all as one game. I also remember seeing a very early beta version of the game on ITV Movies games and videos and it looked a hell of a lot better than the final game
                        Yeah, sounds like it had quite a troubled development, I think it was previewed in 1996. It just another game that gets added to the cancelled Saturn port list.

Kula World we covered at the weekend, which for me is one of the best puzzle games on the PlayStation 1, which I don't see a huge amount of chat about. Really original game and available on PSN for the PS3, Vita and PSP for £3.99.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                          Yeah, sounds like it had quite a troubled development, I think it was previewed in 1996. It just another game that gets added to the cancelled Saturn port list.]
                          I remember the beta version looking like it was a Bladerunner game with lovely lighting and transparent effects, the final game didn't even come close to the Beta. Tbh I would have hated to see what the Saturn version would have looked like, with mesh effects everyhwere, I was glad it got canned.

Comment

I'd rather a game gets released than canned.

Don't talk about The King of Fighters series these days here, one for the retrospective thread? Yes, the newer ones don't hold a candle, to the 90s instalments, but ti's still a great series. This is 94 re-bout which is a remake/update of 94 on the PS2 a Japanese only release. In part I suspect because it was that good as it used the 94 system and move set and doesn't update it with the fixes from the later games oops. For me 98 and 99 are the best on the gameplay front, but the music in 96 is legendary might have to listen to that now!

Comment

New Wonder Boy video up one of the super plays from the Sega Ages Collection, have to take your hat off to gamers willing to put the time into a classic like this:

Comment

Selection of quick videos, that we've done recently, first off the Konami Asterix arcade game maybe the best Asterix game ever made, or do Master System fans disagree?

A look at the Nintendo Wii ports of the Sega arcade game Gunblade NY and L.A. Machinesguns, really good port shame Sega didn't convert more Model 2 & 3 games to it:

Comment

Working...
                                X