Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would anyone be interested in a nintendo classic mini thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would anyone be interested in a nintendo classic mini thread?

After the forum imploded & we lost a lot of threads two of the threads that died was the classic mini threads, was thinking about building a superthread with all the info of not only the stuff that's available hardware/accessorywise but also pass on all the little tricks and settings tweaks i have discovered on my journey in adding more games to the stock systems while using hackchi. As now thanks to the release of the retroarch emulator cores you can get a hell of a lot of unsupported famicom/nes mapper games running and scanline settings tweaks to make them nice & crisp too. Also managed to get hold of some very hard to find box art for some of the more obscure famicom games, some games there is just no decent quality box art online which lead me to use some creativity in getting it along with spending a long time restoring some of it in paint. Would be happy to share my art pics. Obviously it will be a lot of work putting all the info together so it will be a huge waste if nobody bothers joining in.

The one thing i have enjoyed is discovering & playing a lot of old classics i never even knew existed especially with 8bit famicom stuff. Would be fun to share hidden game discoveries in there as well for both machines whatever the region.

Anyone interested?

Yes, definitely, although I won't be able to contribute as my SNES Mini is still stock (due to laziness). I'd like to read your tips, tricks and game recommendations though, but no pressure. You could always just do a part of it instead of the whole megathread at once.

Comment

I'm up for it. I have a NES & SNES mini's, and haven't hacked them to add more games. I'm always nervous about that sort of thing - thinking I will brick the system. I also have a big interest in the NES & SNES libraries, so discussing all the games is interesting. I always enjoy discovering games I haven't played before.

I'm not an expert on the NES/Famicom, so recommendations for less talked about, hidden gem sort of games would be good.

Comment

Since their original releases a crazy amount of work has been done to get as many of the games working as possible on both nes & snes either by patching the snes roms themselves so the built in emulator can handle them or in the case of the nes by installing extra emulation cores in the nes so it overrides the built in emulator. I decided to check how far nes had come along and realised i was now able to add so many games that i really wanted to play.

All the Goemon games are finally playable so that was me extra happy but the other big one for famicom was getting Gimmick to work as it uses a rarely used unsupported mapper.

Modding is not as scary as it sounds, it's extremely hard to brick your machine as you back up the kernel image before you start so if it ever went tits up you just restore that to your machine and it goes back to like nothing ever happened, fresh from the box. The only snag now is the new re-released batches of nes & snes have an updated kernel so they need a newer version of hackchi to work as the older versions of it will cause unwanted problems. But if your mini is from the first releases then you are good to go.

I shall get to work on getting stuff together, im sure i can provide enough linkage for anyone who wants to go ahead & fully unlock the potential of their tiny minis. It really is worth the effort though, since i removed all the stock games i didn't like (bye SFII you wont be missed) and added all the games that i did, i did i have been playing them both a crazy amount. After work most evenings i will put it on for a few hours and just game away using the save states to bookmark my progress till the next evening.

Some people will disagree, but for myself these things were a great idea. This is the most i have played fami & super fami games in a looooong time. I do love all that fami & super fami box art its nice to have it all lined up to browse as i choose what to play next. The thread wont just be for hacking but also game discussion but hopefully it doesnt veer off into non nes & snes emulator stuff.
        Last edited by importaku; 11-07-2018, 23:44.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
          but the other big one for famicom was getting Gimmick to work as it uses a rarely used unsupported mapper.
          Gimmick is a great game, so that's good news. Does Castlevania 3, the Japanese version with extended audio, work?

The only snag now is the new re-released batches of nes & snes have an updated kernel so they need a newer version of hackchi to work
          I have a launch SNES Mini - and a 2nd release NES Mini.

I shall get to work on getting stuff together, im sure i can provide enough linkage for anyone who wants to go ahead & fully unlock the potential of their tiny minis
          I'd really appreciate an easy guide to getting more games on each system.

The thread wont just be for hacking but also game discussion but hopefully it doesnt veer off into non nes & snes emulator stuff.
          Yeah, it should be all about discussing the NES & SNES. There are loads of great games to talk about and explore.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-07-2018, 00:56.

Comment

Hakchi2 CE. You basically just connect your console to your PC and it does everything for you. You don't even need to dump the kernel anymore.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              I'm up for it. I have a NES & SNES mini's, and haven't hacked them to add more games. I'm always nervous about that sort of thing - thinking I will brick the system.
              The only way to brick the devices is to physically grab a brick and smash them both up with it.

Comment

Hacked mine at the start and its been wonderful and was just so easy to do. The only issue is sometimes it crashes when switching between folders . But its hardly a issue and its just wounderful to have all my fav SNES games on a tiny deveice that can be used on any HDTV TV and is so tiny, it can be taken anywhere.

Comment

I'm looking at picking up a NES mini to take back to Japan and would like to set it up with Hakchi first, I didn't know the re-release experiences issues. Is the Hakchi 2.30 version no good then?

Comment

You'd need the release joe mentioned a bit further up the thread the ce edition has been made to work with the new released versions. The older versions of hackchi dont play well with the newer machines.

Comment

Awesome, thanks. Wouldn't have realised without this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        Gimmick is a great game, so that's good news. Does Castlevania 3, the Japanese version with extended audio, work?
                        I installed it to test, im assuming you meant akumajou densetsu? Hackchi warns you when you install it that it uses a unsupported mapper which is why you install the extra retroarch cores so you can play unssuported games. I made it use the nestopia core. Plays fine and the sound as far as i can tell is the nicer fancy audio.

One cool thing is you can go into the emulator options and disable the 8 sprite limit so games will no longer flicker like mad when it gets busy. Sure it's not authentic but who cares, i seriously doubt the developers intended their games to look like a flickery mess. Rockman is a great one to use it on.

Comment

I only added Nes games to the Nes mini via the hack when it came out, what sort of buggery can you do now, can you emulate things thats need more than 2 buttons and use the wii classic pad?

Comment

I installed it to test, im assuming you meant akumajou densetsu?
                            Yeah, that's the one. It uses extended audio - the American version doesn't. It's cool that you can get it working properly using a different core.

Are there any clear guides how to get new games on the NES & SNES - and add cores etc.. Where do you get the box art from?

Comment

I believe you can also play snes games on it now as it's basically the same hardware (and vice-versa) but yeah you obviously need a controller with more than 2 fire buttons.

Comment

Working...
                              X