Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Like I said before, I hoping to see Halo 6 and Forza 8 running on the One X and out this year and then for hugly expanding versions ready for thew lauch of the XBox II. Hopfully if you buy the game you get the upgraded version for free, just like with the games on One and One X.

Can't wait for E3.
    I would say this will be the case for Gears 5 and maybe Forza 8 but I really think Halo is a launch title for the new hardware, even if it is backward compatible with the one.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
      I would say this will be the case for Gears 5 and maybe Forza 8 but I really think Halo is a launch title for the new hardware, even if it is backward compatible with the one.
      I don't see it, with over 3 years work put into the title . Like I said, I'll like to see a One X version and then an incredible looking next gen version next year, near launch

Comment

I can't see it for that reason... They'll want to sell hardware and it is a launch day system seller. I get that it having a version for the one X means it won't be totally exclusive but I really do think they'll want to rekindle the launch of the original Xbox and have this new title as the day one game to pick up.

Either way I guess we will find out really soon.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
          I can't see it for that reason... They'll want to sell hardware and it is a launch day system seller. I get that it having a version for the one X means it won't be totally exclusive but I really do think they'll want to rekindle the launch of the original Xbox and have this new title as the day one game to pick up.

Either way I guess we will find out really soon.
          I think what will really sell the XBox Hardware on day one, is what sort of graphic fidelity it's going to offer. I think games like Halo, Forza and Fable and have in prduction for a long time and so will come out on both, I would imagine its Studios like The Initiative, that are focused on just developming MS next gen system.

Comment

If Microsoft mandates that for 2-3 years all XB4 games have to also be on XBO it'll be a massive move in favour of Sony and the Playstation 5. Xbox game design held back by an underpowered system in 2013? Stupid. It's MS again thinking about platforms over software and losing a competitive edge which is why I don't think Sony will follow suit. There'll be loads of cross gen games released but the only true showcases of next gen gaming will be those designed purely to take advantage of the newer hardware. It's also why there'll be no XBX-XB4 joint exclusives either, the XBX is a footnote SKU to the XBO. If it runs on XBX it'll be made to run on XBO and therefore hampered. MS may be taking the PC style approach where you can take almost any modern game and lower settings enough to get it running on old hardware but with XB4 the difference needs to be enough that no one could possibly want to even consider a current gen version of the game.

Comment

Yeah, the new machine will need exclusive software. It's a given that everything third party till ~2022 will be cross-gen, but MS would be nuts to have every single one of their first party XB4 games appearing on the Bone for years to come.

The One X is irrelevant, I very much doubt that will ever have software that doesn't also run on the One/One S, so essentially (as SF points out), you're hamstringing your new software by needing it to work on a machine that was underpowered 5 years ago, and giving many people little reason to upgrade.

This needs to be a machine that really gets people excited in order to shift units. One X is a really nice piece of hardware, but I'd bet its users represent a small percentage of Bone owners overall. If this is fundamentally just a One X 2 - something that plays exactly the same software, with a resolution that's a bit better and a framerate that's a bit better - it's not going to do the business.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                The One X is irrelevant, I very much doubt that will ever have software that doesn't also run on the One/One S, so essentially (as SF points out), you're hamstringing your new software by needing it to work on a machine that was underpowered 5 years ago, and giving many people little reason to upgrade.
                It isn't irrelevant, its MS lead platform for the next year and a few months, not just for MS but most 3rd parties (given how crap 3rd party games run on the base hardware). I can't see how it will hold any next-gen software back when games like Halo and Fable have been in development for years, they have been developed on One X and its limits. Its games from Compulsion Games, Obsidian, The Initiative, Ninja Theory that have no doubt been tasked with making software for the next gen. Given the talent that has gone into The Initiative, I think its that studio tasked with making the console seller if you will

SONY didn't win this gen because it system launched the with better exclusives, If anything the One launched with the better exclusives. It took time for the SONY Big guns to come out and really show off the system. MS messed up on the Hardware, had terrible PR and too much focus on Kinect (which also made the system more expensive)

Comment

It's irrelevant to the discussion at hand because it's not a platform in its own right. It exists to offer an improved experience on games that also run on the base hardware. Unless that changes, I don't think it can be called the lead platform. I'm sure there are many more OG and S machines in use than Xs.

So by saying all of this first party software for the next however many years should also be on the One X, you're effectively saying it needs to be on the One and One S. It might happen but it would be a shame if it did I think - there's no doubt it would hold back those games back.

Comment

Devs, or publishers, will want it to work on both. More sales.

Internal ms teams could be mandated to make it Xbox 2 only though in order to drive hardware sales.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      It's irrelevant to the discussion at hand because it's not a platform in its own right. It exists to offer an improved experience on games that also run on the base hardware. Unless that changes, I don't think it can be called the lead platform. I'm sure there are many more OG and S machines in use than Xs.
                      It's not irrelevant when all MS games are being developed on One X kits, Playground games confirmed that One X was the lead for Forza Horizon 4 and any time you see MS showing off a new game in development (insert joke of they have none here) It all running off the while XBox One X development kit and more and more it looks to be the case for 3r party games, more so given how little optimised they are for base hardware

So by saying all of this first party software for the next however many years should also be on the One X
                      That's like an MP's answer in almost ignoring and twisting what one says.. I clearly said just Halo, Fable (maybe even Forza ) but the rest of the studios; Compulsion Games, Obsidian, The Initiative, Ninja Theory, Undead Labs and RARE will no doubt be right now only working on the Next gen Xbox and like I said given the money being thrown at The Initiative and the talent its been getting, that to me is the studio tasked with making a system seller like Naughty Dog can

That is hardly all one's games and the way some act, it's like every system on its launch had big blockbuster AAA right on the system day the system 1st hits the shops, other than Nintendo with the Snes, N64 and MS with the OG XBox. One needed to wait for the big AAA games down the line.

Comment

They use the XBX as the lead dev system but largely because the XB4 dev wasn't to hand and the XBX currently is better for them to showcase software for the XBO platform, it's not their lead system though - the base Xbox One is and though games don't perform as well on it they have to run on it to a certain level of proficiency as the vast majority of Microsofts market plays via that platform currently. By designing with its contraints in mind it automatically handcuffs what new games can do on XB4 just like if you started to squeeze higher end PS4 games back down onto a PS3, they're better because they could ignore their predecessor.

You won't see what the XB4 can truly deliver until it's unshackled from the XBO and when that happens the XBX won't be one jot of a consideration. Like the Pro, its a decent machine but it's a side dish that doesn't matter too much to their business.

It'd be fascinating to know what a team would make using a top end PC as an exclusive these days that wasn't shackled by factoring in out dated console tech like every single game it receives is.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

You won't see what the XB4 can truly deliver until it's unshackled from the XBO and when that happens the XBX won't be one jot of a consideration. Like the Pro, its a decent machine but it's a side dish that doesn't matter too much to their business.
                          I look over most of the baiting, but just a couple of points... One will not see what the Next Box can truly deliver on day one. That, like any system best AAA games, comes latter down the line; Given a title like Halo been in development for so long, I would doubt very much of its desgin document, would take any meaning full advanage of any MS next gen system spec, so any new bits would be tacked on (like how Kameo made little use of 360 in gameplay terms and didn't really show off the 360 much either Hardware)

The XBox X is the lead platform for current game development in the XBox I bet it's much the same for SONY studios using the Pro as the lead, while the base units remain the best for all around sales. Currently we have top end PC's games being made then expect to be ported to base console like the One, or even the Switch in some cases. It's more than possible make a game for the next gen console and also scale it back... Battlefield done it for years and other decent examples would be Metal Gear Solid 5, Destiny, Alien Isolation Titanfall and Forza Horzion 2 .

Comment

It's the timeframe of the speculation that's the concern though. Halo: Infinite is your typical cross-gen project but when MS steps forward into development of Halo 7 they shouldn't be still looking to the XBO and XBX as considerations. The wide time frame of the speculated window would mean MS hampering software design for up to half the next systems lifespan which Sony won't be doing. given the difficult position Microsoft is already in they can't afford to not have showcases when their line up is already so weak.

Game Pass and xCloud are the obvious side steps to the issue as both untie them from the hardware as much and the tech powering both will undoubtedly change over time but that also just remakes the case that the Xbox 4 console is largely redundant to most consumers next gen if they're the basis going forward. MS's E3 is going to be fascinating for this reason, if the rumours about their plans for the services is correct then Xbox 4 will the last console anyone should consider buying.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              It's the timeframe of the speculation that's the concern though. Halo: Infinite is your typical cross-gen project but when MS steps forward into development of Halo 7 they shouldn't be still looking to the XBO and XBX as considerations.
                              Halo 7 will only be made for the next gen,I don't get why you think MS would even look to develop that title for Xbox One hardware. A title like that would be coming in some 3 years from now. All MS studios and publishing would only be on the Next-Gen Xbox at that point and look to really cook the hardware

Comment

I'm playing Fallout 3 (Wanderer's Edition) in 4K and 60fps with loads of texture, lighting and weather overhauls. Got a layer of cinematic post-processing layered over the top of it too to make it look like Mad Max. It looks ****ing minter.

No idea why that's relevant, but there you go. Probably because it's a last-gen game with current gen gameplay and next-gen graphics. I'll get some screens out once my character is tooled up a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X