The Relationship Thread II: Lost in that Last Goodbye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats both!

Definitely take a little time out, have a chat and think about what you both want from the view that no-one else exists then go with that option and work it out from there. So many weddings are spoiled by it all becoming about everyone but the couple and the last thing you guys want is to go through all that stress of planning and then spend the day playing host to everyone else instead of enjoying it for yourselves. They all had their day, make sure to have yours.

Or do what me and missus did and get married just together abroad and skip the entire problem

Don't forget, we expect to see the Bordersdown logo engraved on those wedding rings!

Comment

We got married ten years ago this month!

The wedding was pretty lavish, having whatever we wanted to make it awesome. Beautiful venue and a free bar.
      I can't fault it and it was really memorable with people still commenting how much fun it was, all these years later.

However, sometimes we think about how else we could have spent the money and cry a little bit!

I had a co-worker who got married in Greece.
      By law, you have to be in the country for at least a week before you can get married, so they had a week in the sun together, then the family flew out and they got married and had another week there on "honeymoon".
      When they came home they hired a local community hall and had a party for those who couldn't get to Greece.

Sometimes I think that's the way forward!

Comment

We were having a 120 person wedding, organising it all was both stressing us out and causing friction in our relationship. We just sat down one day and said why are we doing this? Why don’t we just do what we want? So we did. I rented an entire castle for our exclusive use for the weekend (Shockingly cheap, less than the halll was costing for one night for the big wedding!) and 23 of us stayed in it, free food and drink all weekend and had an absolute riot. I hate weddings, I absolutely loved my own though. We then had another party in Canada a few months later, meal and drinks for fifty or so friends and family, zero dramas again. Do what you want to do, not others!

This was our wee castle, we’re going to rent it again for next new year hopefully!

Comment

Dr Phil says people put all this time into planning a wedding and no time into planning a marriage. Whatever about the rest of his stuff, that was one of a couple of things from him that stayed with me. We had a pretty easy wedding. If it had been up to me, we would have just had about ten people at it - that wasn't going to happen but we still kept it lean and low stress and I'm so glad we did.

Comment

Other than a huge random lizard we had only the witnesses (my in-laws) at our wedding. We got married at the bandstand in the middle of Singapore's Botanic Gardens.

Comment

My friend and his wife were ours, in the middle of the Rockies.

Comment

Nakano Town Hall was where we got married. Didn't bother with a ceremony at all. The three of us were fine with that.

ex-wife and me the first time, wife and me the second time

Comment

We got married here:

Comment

Red Rock Canyon.

It's not red, and there's no rocks in it.

Comment

True, but it also didn't have any wedding guests. Win

Comment

I was glad we had people at our ceremonies. No chaff, either. 130 at the London one(100 of my close family, 30 of our friends) and 30 at the Japan one(wife's family and our best Japan friends). We had one rule: only invite people we genuinely want to see on our wedding day.

The London one was stressful but mainly because we couldn't plan anything of substance before arriving in London and had to do lots of running around in the limited time we had available.

The Japanese one was perfect. Usually, people have the ceremony with family and close friends, then an after-party with others but we had two after-parties(English pub nearby, then karaoke) with the wedding guests so we got to spend loads of time together.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                          I was glad we had people at our ceremonies. No chaff, either. 130 at the London one(100 of my close family, 30 of our friends). We had one rule: only invite people we genuinely want to see on our wedding day.
                          131 if you include me watching through the high-powered lens of my camera from a bush across the street.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                            Other than a huge random lizard we had only the witnesses (my in-laws) at our wedding. We got married at the bandstand in the middle of Singapore's Botanic Gardens.

That looks lovely!

Comment

I honestly couldn't name more than 18 family I would have at my ceremony.

Comment

If I had people like that then I'd do the same. I couldn't believe it when we did the initial count and had 60-70 definites. We were actually adding people because the venue had a minimum 130 charge anyway. We even invited a few of our neighbours.

Comment

Working...
                                X