Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got around to watching Get Out last night and I'm glad I've finally watched it. More akin to an Edgar Wright/Charlie Brooker-directed piece, the film is a delicious blend of horror, otherness and comedy as the story unfolds and you learn what's really going on. Worth a watch once if only to see that original and compelling films are still being produced (and are not all about superheroes or Oscar buzz).

Comment

I watched that at the weekend and really enjoyed it. It felt like much more of a regular old fashioned horror movie than I expected though. It has a unique viewpoint and I liked how it played with my expectations on that but I must admit to being surprised it is being considered for Oscars. Not because it’s not a good movie but because most of the movies I think are good aren’t ever the type that get considered for Oscars.

Comment

I watched "The Post" last night, I wouldn't say I'm particularly interested in American Politics but I found this interesting, gripping & highly enjoyable from the off - Recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie vip 99 View Post
          Just watched birdman. Outstanding film making. Really enjoyed it. Great cast
          Agreed it’s one seriously good film. Deserved a lot more recognition.

Comment

Finally watched The Foreigner on Netflix tonight. Had the feel of a ITV movie more than a cinema release.

Heard mixed reviews but I was interested from the first trailer and actually really enjoyed it.
            Watched a lot of Brosnan films over the last few years, need to catch up and re-watch more Jackie.

Comment

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women
              We fairly enjoyed this though it pulls its punches too much. It gives you an insight into how Wonder Woman was conceived but it feels like the film mostly thinks that Marston and his partners love lives are interesting enough by their existence to support the film when really, something a little more harder hitting and nuanced would have been better. Still, it was enjoyable enough for a one off viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                Professor Marston and the Wonder Women
                "Help! We need to create a female character to save our publication going bankrupt and our families go homeless. BUT first, can you solve this puzzle?"

Comment

So at the Weekend we watched

The House :
                  Will Ferrell acts ridiculous. I like Will Ferrell, I liked this film

A cure for Wellness:
                  Really Terrible, but kind of enjoyable. Bad good.

Jason Isaacs is quickly stepping into Sean Bean's footsteps as evil in everything.

Comment

I found it funny that the image presented in Professor Marston is that he was a strong advocator for women's rights and empowerment and that Wonder Woman was his attempt to influence the young minds so that in future generations they'd believe in better values for women.

However he did so from the stand point of having two women who were effectively derailed from their careers and educations into staying at home and looking after the kids whilst indulging his kinky fetishes. The film even sells it as a sort of love story about three people defying societies norms but feels like it misses that the psychology he taught and promoted as progressive was the same one he ultimately had them both be submissive to for him.

Last night we watched:

Goodbye, Christopher Robin
                    Another slow burn tale this time following the creator of Winnie the Pooh and showing not just how he created the characters but the irony in his inability to bring joy to his own child in the way he did to so many that weren't his. Margot Robbie's mother character is just awful at parenthood and it's kind of hard to see him miss so many opportunities that are lay before him with his son because he just can't get his head where it needs to be. Every single time you think he is about to get it he makes another awful decision. The film didn't get amazing reviews but it was solid enough, some critics seemed to have issues with the stiff upper lip Britain it shows that is also a little too picture perfect but that actually ties well into the themes of the film and the guys motivations which are fuelled by a frustration that this seemingly lovely life betrays the realities he witnessed during WWI. From society, to his wife, to his own approach to being a parent everything is tied up in repression to the point it's stifling that even during the films most emotional moments the characters still can't let that repressed stance go even though it is costing them so much and the pleasant tone of the film re-enforces that theme because it fuels that Keep Calm and Carry On mindset and how damaging it actually is. It's another one I wouldn't watch twice but again, fine for what it is.

Comment

I had a mate over and we watched Predator.

What a classic, we knew most of the lines.

We actually watched the recent 3D conversion and although the disc just has the 2D & 3D versions with no extras, the 3D works great.

As they in the jungle, there's always some foliage or something to give it depth of field.

The effects still hold up, generally, and we had a laugh seeing it again.

Read some facts after and I loved the story about how Arnie shipped a big gym over on a truck so they could all work out.

They woke the guy who shaves his head at around 5:30 and all shouted at him to lift more and more weights. He ached so much after, that when they came knocking the next morning, he pretended he didn't hear them.

It got really competitive with all these big guys like Arnie and Jessie Ventura and all the stunt doubles who had to look their size, all pumping iron, that Carl Weathers used to sneak down around 3am to get a couple of hours extra lifting in and claim it was all natural bulk!

Comment

Once again, above and beyond, QC, brilliant anecdotes!!!

But by god it must've been HELL on that set, it must've stunk so, so bad. I stepped foot in a gym one day, there were like twenty steroid guys on all the machines, it stunk so bad it put me off gyms, I just lift household objects instead.

Thing about them steroid guys is their nads shrink and they can't Do The Do like Betty Boo. Which is why they have such competitiveness amongst each other. No nads, you see.

Them wives were prime for the pickin' in '87.

Would YOU be the man catering for a lonely Hollywood muscleman's wife as he cavorts in the jungle with his steroid buddies???

(I was gonna delete this post but I'll leave it, heck why not, I'll be embarrassed in the morn but it's all in the spirit of Bacon Tasty).

ANYHOO. Saw the first Cloverfield. I actually quite liked it, I always expected it to be awful anyway but like Blair Witch I didn't mind it, it had some really nice lighting and sparingly effective use of CG.

One thing I really noticed, though. They must really, REALLY like Mountain Dew in New York, it was EVERYWHERE, even in the underground subway engineering restroom they end up in, a big, bright machine.

Dang, I'll have to try a can now, crivens!

Comment

Ha, thanks Jazzy.

I also like the revelation that The Predator was originally played by Jean-Claude Van Damme, but he constantly complained about the suit and kept trying to do kickboxing moves, so he was fired/quit.

This worked in their favour for two reasons. Firstly, they edited together a showreel for the studio who loved it so much they threw more money at the remainder of the production and they had to redesign the Predator.

Schwarzenegger personally called Stan Winston, who had designed the T-100 endoskeleton in Terminator, to make it more scary.

Winston was on a flight, drawing possible Predator designs, and he was travelling with James Cameron who stated he always wanted to design a monster with mandibles, so that's how it got it's crab-like face.

Comment

Watched wonder

Just a fantastic movie

Comment

All this talk of Predator is making me want to watch it again. I might just do that tonight (unless there's something good on at the local cinema).

I watched Keanu on the weekend. I can see why people like Kay and Peele. Their send-ups and twists on stereotypes are quite funny and I often found this film hilarious. I appreciated the nods to John Wick and The Matrix too (which make sense given the film's title).

Comment

The Avengers
                                With the build up to Avengers 3 under way we decided to pick up where we left off and continue with our rewatches. The film hold sup okay but there's a lot less going on than I remember. It's mostly brisk due to all the characters it has to juggle but it's still easy to see why it worked so well.

Iron Man 3
                                Been a while since I last watched this one and it holds up much stronger now that the MCU has more films under its belt and that it is easier to take on its own merits. It could have done with more action to keep the pacing less exposition based but the two main sequences in the film are good and it's a much stronger film than the second entry whilst a but easier to watch than the first at times. Trevor Slattery for greatest MCU character still though.

Comment

Working...
                                X