Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle of the Ports

I've started a new show to fit in-between Retro Core shows. It's called Battle of the Ports and is basically a look of various ports of arcade classics. The show has no voice over, just game footage of many different ports.

Anyway, the first show features 12 different ports of Space Harrier plus the arcade original.

For those who like the high quality, I will be adding them to my site at some point in time when I finally get around to redesigning the Retro Core site.

EDIT - You can see all the shows in order by visiting my YouTube channel. Every time a new video is added it will be listed there - http://www.youtube.com/user/Yakumo19...view_as=public

The Battle of the Ports videos are at the top of the list. As of today (October 28th 2013) the following videos are available.

Space Harrier
    R-Type
    Ghosts'n Goblins
    Ghouls'n Ghosts
    Final Fight
    Double Dragon
    Dynamite Dux
    Forgotten Worlds
    and coming soon, Golden Axe
    Last edited by Yakumo; 28-10-2013, 02:55.

Nice video. Impressed with the Spectrum, MS, NES (despite slowdown), PC Engine and Sharp versions the most. Surprised how well it runs on Spectrum and shows I really need to take a better look at the machine as I was a C64 player.

Comment

Chase HQ on the speccy beats just about all versions hands down!

Comment

Great stuff. The colour choices on Spectrum. Magenta sky? Just use Cyan, mate! CPC version lol. The lack of checkered ground on C64 and CPC I found disappointing. That's an iconic feature for me.

Would love to see an Outrun episode. Maybe Street Fighter 2 also?

Really needs to be a like button on this forum as I like Van Peebles comment. Agree!

Comment

Nice will watch this when I'm home & can have some volume.

I still have soooo many Speccy conversions at home & some of them were awesome for the limitations of the machine.

Neil

Comment

I still have my C64 Outrun complete with arcade music cassette tape. Wow, these kids of today don't even know they're born!

Goddamn manual tape loading of a recording of music from an arcade game that we played alongside our blocky efforts. Haha.

Comment

I'm getting all nostalgic for the 8bit micros now.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                I still have my C64 Outrun complete with arcade music cassette tape. Wow, these kids of today don't even know they're born!

Goddamn manual tape loading of a recording of music from an arcade game that we played alongside our blocky efforts. Haha.
                Lol I remember getting Platoon on the Speccy with a copy of Smokey Robinsons Tracks of my Tears to go with it & also Addidas Cahmpionship football which came with New Orders World Cup song World in motion...classics

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                I'm getting all nostalgic for the 8bit micros now.
                Lol it comes to us all...I still have my full collection out of everything it's just something I don't think I'll ever be able to part with

Neil

Comment

The PC-Engine version is the one I've played most, and in that video I take it's being played on some sort of ****ty emulation? Played on original hardware it looks nothing like that.

Comment

Yeah, sorry about that. The PC Engine version has some ****ty filter on it. It won't happen again

I'm also quite impressed with the Speccy version. It's really cool considering the hardware. The audio blows ass though. Out of all the versions I think the Amiga was the worst. Awful controls, crappy graphics and a poor rendition of the music. The ST version was pretty good though. Normally the Amiga version of a game wipes the floor with the ST version.

Comment

Did you use the 128k speccy version for the extra sound?

Comment

The homebrew Atari 8-bit port looks awesome:

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          Did you use the 128k speccy version for the extra sound?
                          Yep. Still sounded like crap.

I actually tried to run the 8bit Atari version but couldn't get the game to run. It does look nice though for the system.

Comment

Stop making the amstrad version look rubbish

Comment

Thanks for that great video. I hope you do others.

The 32X version was superb, I didn't realize it was so good. I was also pretty impressed by the Gamegear version as well considering.

I have a soft spot for the Megadrive vesion though as I remember getting that with my import Japanese machine at launch.

Comment

Working...
                              X