No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah I see. I thought you were saying playing games on PC saves you £50 a time compare to XBox.

I got rid of my gaming PC (that I hadn't updated in 4 years) last year. By that point PS4 Pro and Xbox One X hade hugely eclipsed it. I have game pass now but not sure I'll keep it. It lets me dip into loads of different things, which I like b t The problem comes when I really focus on one game e.g. State of Decay 2. If I'm playing nothing but State of Decay then what's the point of paying a monthly fee? It messes with my logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      True, I need to do the maths one day of how much the machine has cost me vs how much it's saved because games etc are so much cheaper on it than console. It'll largely pay for itself in the end I think... I save nearly £100 for every 2 Xbox games they release
      I'd love you to do this!

I did raise this in the gaming irks thread.
      I get that games are cheaper and they run faster at a higher resolution, but it comes at a cost and most PC gamers are in denial!
      "I laugh at you console gamers from the top of my pile of Steam sale games!
      I'm still using exactly the same PC I bought 5 years ago. I've only upgraded the memory, hard drive, processor, graphics card, mouse, keyboard and sound card. Exactly the same!"

Comment

If I can hold it together for the next 2-3 years my PC will have had one proper upgrade which was jumping from the GTX770 to the GTX1080 which adds to the cost. It's so complicated to work out though, you can at times get new PC games for as low down as £25 when the console version costs £50 but on console (if you buy physical) you have a resell value to factor in that minimises the cost. On the flip side games in sales might cost £2 on PC and £13 on console. It'd be immense to work it out, I guess it's also based on personal spending habits too. I'd have been likely to buy and XBX if I had no PC but many wouldn't.

I know it's 100% the best system I own, never thought I'd love having one so much before we got it and despite how expensive buying one would be again I doubt I'd have many doubts about it when it comes to replacing the whole system. I feel like it's paid for itself which I guess is a win in of itself but the next one will undoubtedly cost more than this one which is one of the reasons to hold off till they do a meaningful GPU upgrade instead of all these current filler ones.

Comment

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt!

"One" "proper" "2-3 years". All words of someone in denial!

Comment

^ lol

I think I could convince myself I was spending less if I concentrated on PC or Console over another platform, when in reality I probably spent to my budget anyway. So if it's not PC parts it might be new TV or Nintendo stuff etc.

Personally I'm going the other way with the PC market feeling like it's getting out of control price wise. Consoles to me suddenly represent a much more value add proposition. The price of games feels like it's very similar now with maturing digital markets. Grey market PC Key resellers are the exception and where big savings on PC games tend to be made.

Comment

I never get the 'PCs are cheaper' thing. The graphics card alone is £600, three times the price of a console. That's before you fact in the processor, RAM, storage, case, inputs, everything else.

I get that it's better but even with the slightly cheaper games, I don't at all see how it's more cost-effective.

Comment

They weren't always £600 (and also remember there are different price tiers). PCs can do other tasks, so it might just be you simply need a GPU to game on and that's the only additional cost. So no extra display, no mandatory online fees, no other accessories and historically cheaper games.

Certainly around 5 years ago it was possible to build very cheap PC's for the same or not much more than consoles that could outclass the console specs and allow for better performance. Hence the whole 'Potato Masher PC' series on Youtube. But arguably that time may be passing with 4-figure top end GPU's and increasingly expensive parts.

Equally an Xbox One X, OLED TV, surround system can all get expensive particularly if you only buy it for gaming. But it's all relative with some subjectivity potentially involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                  PCs can do other tasks, so it might just be you simply need a GPU to game on and that's the only additional cost.
                  Ah the classic "I need a computer to do my homework, Mum!" ploy!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    That's precisely how I ended up with a GTX1080 Ti. Graphic designers need graphics cards.

Comment

Besides, the PS4 (Slim!) is still going for €300, that's more than half what I paid for the 1080 Ti.

How much are people expecting the PS5 to hit for? I can see them being considerably more than a One X, especially if the graphical leap is going to contend with 2017-generation PC gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        That's precisely how I ended up with a GTX1080 Ti. Graphic designers need graphics cards.
                        lol. But it's potentially true. You could have bought a Vega 56 for £400 or something. It might have be less than an Xbox One X was and be all you needed to enjoy Gears of War or something. People have different use cases.

How much are people expecting the PS5 to hit for? I can see them being considerably more than a One X, especially if the graphical leap is going to contend with 2017-generation PC gaming.
                        I think the 'informed' consensus suggests $499. Obviously how weak our mickey mouse currency is, may impact the UK price.

Comment

I'm still using exactly the same PC I bought 5 years ago. I've only upgraded the memory, hard drive, processor, graphics card, mouse, keyboard and sound card. Exactly the same!"
                          No one forces those upgrades , though. My gaming laptop lasted me from 2011 to 2017 and ran like a 360 X (1080p/60fps for mostly everything from that generation). I fully expect the PC I built last year to last me another six years without any upgrades at all, well into the next console generation (although perhaps not if I want to hold on to 144FPS/165FPS...).

Comment

That's the thing, your average high end PC doesn't actually need upgrading to stay ahead of consoles (though it's tempting). My 770 outpaced the PS4 fine enough for the most part but the GTX1080 was just too tempting. If you bought and XBX, XBL and say 5 games in a year that you're likely to keep long term (you're FIFA's, COD's, Forza etc) you could feasibly easily have spent upwards of £700 in the first year so you're immediately a big chunk into that gaming PC. Digfox is right though that it's harder at the moment, GPU pricing is way off base but held back by new cards not being worthwhile.

Comment

Re pricing. I think they'll still aim for £400 launch price tags but the systems won't be cutting edge. They'll be like Xbox One X Pro's with the main benefit being software not be constrained by having to be developed with 8 year old tech in mind. Someone may try higher but they'll be dead on arrival for it.

Comment

No one forces those upgrades , though. My gaming laptop lasted me from 2011 to 2017 and ran like a 360 X (1080p/60fps for mostly everything from that generation). I fully expect the PC I built last year to last me another six years without any upgrades at all, well into the next console generation (although perhaps not if I want to hold on to 144FPS/165FPS...).
                                Never said they did force upgrades, just that PC gamers are usually in denial of the costs.
                                Although, I stopped PC gaming when newer games refused to run on my graphics card.

I presume your gaming laptop that you bought in 2011 was the same price as a console? Or was it over £1000?

The PC that you built last year? How much was that?

Do you really believe that you won't upgrade your PC? You only want to play Skyrim, for example, with all the gfx mods active.

I totally get that PC is the way to go if you want the best graphics, fps and resolution.
                                What I'm saying is that PC gamers are delusional about how much it costs to enter the race and keep up with it.

As this thread is currently proving...

Comment

Working...
                                X