No announcement yet.

Ultra 16-Bit Mega Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer 4 button fighters to 6 button ones, you’d be amazed how much brain confuddlement comes from those extra two buttons. I’ve gotten better with it over the years, but even with newer games I prefer four main action buttons with maybe a couple of extras for supers.

Admittedly some of the earlier games are a little janky, but then there are some amazing ones for the system. I think we’ve already established that the shmups are generally quality all the way, as are the six Slugs. Some of the earlier fighting games may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but there’s no denying that the Last Blades, Shodowns and KoF from ‘98 onwards are all very well done, competent games.

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    Also, Capcom's revisionist approach means bar-nostalgia it's pretty much pointless going back to World Warrior or New Challengers, Warrior's Dreams etc. On the other hand there are still valid reasons to revisit the various early KOFs, Fatal Fury's, SamShos...
    I like how SNK have gone back to their earlier KoF games and improved them, such as ‘94 Re-bout, ‘98 UM and ‘02 UM.... now it’s ‘97s turn.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
      But can you deny any of the points I made? 🤔
      Not really, all Arcade games copied each other and went with what was popular, so to single SNK for doing what Capcom, Namco or SEGA did was a bit silly. Also there are so many fab gems on the system like Soccer Brawl, Flying Power Disk, Last Resort, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, SS III, Baseball stars II, Neo Turf Masters, Metal Slug, Nam 1975

It was a fab system also the art in the SNK games was just something else, their characters designs and box art, was the best at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
        Isn’t that what a NeoGeo is?

It has PCM sound like the SNES and can do all its Mode 7 trickery and more besides (sprite scaling as well as background scaling).

It also has FM sound synthesis like the MegaDrive and more CPU grunt thanks to its 68k rated at higher clock speed than the MegaDrive’s.

Throw in more colour and sprite handling capabilities than the PC Engine can handle and you pretty much have the ultimate 16-bit console.
        Snes had real transparency, and Dolby Surround
        Last edited by Solar; 24-02-2018, 11:31.

Comment

I would. I prefer their fighters over the Capcom output. Especially for variety. They certainly innovated the genre across the years in many ways so it's unfair to say they were ripping stuff off. It was probably the other way around. They were also pumping out this stuff way longer than Capcom found it to be economically viable, even post-bankruptcy, which despite the admitted drop-off in quality should be remembered and applauded.

The only difference being that SNK were never as established or popular in the Western arcades.
          This may be that, granted, as I played very little of them in the arcades as there was only one that had them but generally they just didn't click for me and neither did the art style. A combo of early exposure and rose tints methinks because they just don't do it for me.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
          I prefer 4 button fighters to 6 button ones, you’d be amazed how much brain confuddlement comes from those extra two buttons. I’ve gotten better with it over the years, but even with newer games I prefer four main action buttons with maybe a couple of extras for supers.

Admittedly some of the earlier games are a little janky, but then there are some amazing ones for the system. I think we’ve already established that the shmups are generally quality all the way, as are the six Slugs. Some of the earlier fighting games may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but there’s no denying that the Last Blades, Shodowns and KoF from ‘98 onwards are all very well done, competent games.
          Aha, by 98 arcades were the last thing on my mind as I was discovering and enjoy other facets of life that also oddly enough also involved repetitive electronic music and darkened rooms. My real hardware experience of them was much earlier and thats what I based my comments on although the amount of love they are getting in here makes me think I should boot up the old Xbox again and take another peek.

Comment

I'd start with Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown II.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              Not really, all Arcade games copied each other and went with what was popular, so to single SNK for doing what Capcom, Namco or SEGA did was a bit silly.
              True. And it was great for us as players/consumers that these companies all provided such strong competition for each other.

Comment

The only difference being that SNK were never as established or popular in the Western arcades.
                Depends which Western arcades you are referring to. I travelled quite extensively in Latin America during the early noughties, and in particular Mexico and Brazil still had thriving arcade communities. I’d say 80-90% of the machines in those arcades were NeoGeo titles.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                  Alas its games are a bit pish though.
                  How dare you

Comment

Working...
                  X