Everdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
    Could be but I think it was the huge upsurge in retro/2nd hand prices that occurred once eBay mania with its ridiculous "follow my lead" pricing kicked in and when the Everdrive was announced it allowed all the previous naysayers and excuse to come down off their high horse and root around in the mud with the rest of the low down filthy pirates. That combined with the huge upsurge in digital game storage on new platforms which allowed people to experience the ease and convenience of changing titles by resetting back to the menu turned a lot of heads and the excuse of "supporting an independent homebrew developer who is doing it for the culture" allowed them to happily wade into a grey area they previously made a point of ignoring.

I'm pretty sure I actually read a quote along those lines on another forum when Everdrives first started taking off and it made me chortle greatly.
    That's basically it. The same will happen with emulation once all the original hardware begins to expire and costs thousands to replace. Despite owning a 1chip SFC and a BVM I'm playing on RetroArch more than ever, until I can splash on an SD2SNES. I just need a 1440p display to match the scan line integer and it'll be perfect.

I feel they're all ridiculously overpriced, too. My GBA Flash IV from China was decent at £20 or thereabouts and does the job nicely.. but then, hilariously, people turn their noses up at those solutions for not being proper Everdrives and bemoan the file transfer method (which you carry out once in your lifetime) as means of justification.

Even the Chinese knock-offs of the SD2SNES are over £100. They can do one.
    Last edited by dataDave; 10-02-2018, 02:24.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
      That's basically it. The same will happen with emulation once all the original hardware begins to expire and costs thousands to replace. Despite owning a 1chip SFC and a BVM I'm playing on RetroArch more than ever, until I can splash on an SD2SNES. I just need a 1440p display to match the scan line integer and it'll be perfect.

I feel they're all ridiculously overpriced, too. My GBA Flash IV from China was decent at £20 or thereabouts and does the job nicely.. but then, hilariously, people turn their noses up at those solutions for not being proper Everdrives and bemoan the file transfer method (which you carry out once in your lifetime) as means of justification.

Are you using a retroarch on a modded Wii, dave? The emulation looks pretty much perfect to me for, MD and sfc via RGB to the bvm. I love the way you can select the native console resolutions too, even 384x224 for CPS I & II. Seriously, no everdrive required for those two.
      Last edited by dvdx2; 10-02-2018, 08:23.

Comment

Saying that, I couldn’t do without my N64 everdrive!

Comment

Thats exactly what I noticed, the snob air that comes with the Everdrive territory as they look down on regular old fashioned affordable "backup solutions" (teehee!). Newsflash Everdrive owners, you are low down filthy pirates too no matter which way you want to dress it up.

I'd have traded my EZFIV for a Everdrive if they weren't so hideously oversized and overpriced:

But as you say you only transfer the games to the EZ once and you're set.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            Are you using a retroarch on a modded Wii, dave? The emulation looks pretty much perfect to me for, MD and sfc via RGB to the bvm. I love the way you can select the native console resolutions too, even 384x224 for CPS I & II. Seriously, no everdrive required for those two.
            I have to force my Wii to PAL60 using AnyRegion Changer, which I can't do because I need a regular Wii remote which I don't have (WR+ crashes it). So at best I get a red screen unless I use component which is terrible compared to SCART. :/ I'm looking for someone local I can borrow a remote from.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
              I have to force my Wii to PAL60 using AnyRegion Changer, which I can't do because I need a regular Wii remote which I don't have (WR+ crashes it). So at best I get a red screen unless I use component which is terrible compared to SCART. :/ I'm looking for someone local I can borrow a remote from.

Comment

You guys would recommend the EZFIV or the gba everdrive then? I’m in the market for an gba flash cart.

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                Thats exactly what I noticed, the snob air that comes with the Everdrive territory as they look down on regular old fashioned affordable "backup solutions" (teehee!). Newsflash Everdrive owners, you are low down filthy pirates too no matter which way you want to dress it up.

I'd have traded my EZFIV for a Everdrive if they weren't so hideously oversized and overpriced:

But as you say you only transfer the games to the EZ once and you're set.

Comment

EZFIV. A fraction of the cost and it actually fits the slot like a regular cart instead of sticking out. The software is ****, but you can work around it easy enough... Not that it's a problem if you're only ever going to do the one ROM dump onto an SD card.

You can only load one game onto the SRAM at one time (meaning it will load instantantly instead of taking a second or two) however the Mother 3 translation is the only game I know of that requires this method to run, so I just have that on there permanently.
                  Last edited by dataDave; 11-02-2018, 14:39.

Comment

Second everything Dave said and will add I much prefer the original cart sized form factor and it works perfectly with everything I've thrown at it.

Comment

I might have a spare one here you can have for postage from Holland once I return from Malaysia in two weeks... I'll keep you posted. It was confiscated from my nieces a couple of years ago...so no promises.

Comment

I might have a spare one here you can have for postage from Holland once I return from Malaysia in two weeks... I'll keep you posted. It was confiscated from my nieces a couple of years ago...so no promises.
                        Thanks mate, very kind.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
                          Thanks mate, very kind.
                          I'll find out today. Won't keep you hanging!

Comment

I'll find out today. Won't keep you hanging!
                            No problem, no rush David.

Comment

Worth pointing out, the SD2SNES is the far more fully featured option compared to the SNES Everdrive. The SD2SNES of course features numerous assist chips via an FPGA solution.

I'm aware I'm preaching to the converted here.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
                                No problem, no rush David.
                                Sorry, Dan. My mother-in-law (who confiscated it) can't even remember what I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X