No announcement yet.

Dark Souls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visited the Undead Asylum again, got the Rusted Iron Ring, killed the Hydra, freed Dusk, got Cast Light, ventured into the Catacombs, gathered materials and rings there, killed Pinwheel, recovered the Silver Ring Serpent, killed the Gargoyles, the Moonlight Butterfly, got the Crest Of Artorias.

This is the first time I face the Gargoyles and killed the first in four one-handed swings and the second with two two-handed hits...well, it was pratically dead after the first, but two nonetheless.

I think this version attracted a lot of new players, I don't remember seeing this many bloodstains all over the place, even in the path leading to Undead Burg from Firelink Shrine, since the PS3 days.

Comment

Spent some time with the game on the Switch in both docked and handheld modes.
      Went through Blighttown in docked mode and it was perfect, no frame drops at all. In docked mode the only constant frame drops I've noticed (from 30 to 20-ish FPS) is in Anor Londo, around the spiral staircase near the bonfire with Solaire after the two archers.

In handheld mode I played through about half of Anor Londo, including the battle against Ornstein and Smough, reached the Painted World and completed about a third of it; the resolution is dropped to 720p, with framerate capping at 30 and the framerate was solid, with the exception of the aforementioned staircase in Anor Londo. The biggest difference are screen brigthness and controls: in handheld mode the game is considerably darker than on my monitor, and any kind of reflection will severly limit visibility. The joycons are OK for going around, but they aren't particularly precise in lining up aimed shots with the bow.

One thing is that this game is one the most resource-intensive on the Switch, judging by of fast the fan spins in docked mode and how hot the console gets. In handheld mode the console stays cool enough even after 40 minutes but the battery takes a beating, reaching around 80 percent from a full charge.

So yeah, DS on the Switch, whether docked or not, sits between the PS3 and PS4 versions, and it's closer to the latter.

Comment

All this talk of Sekiro reminded me that I have only finished one playthrough of the remaster.

So I started her up again! Trundling along very nicely collecting as much gear as possible for the trophies, annoyingly I have missed all miracles and all sorceries this playthrough so at least one more is needed...

Such a great game though, dripping with atmosphere.

I can't remember if I have said this before but the first few hours are the best. Underpowered, struggling to push through an area, really playing the game. I miss that.

So I bought it on Switch to start a new journey with Spooderman the Great when I'm travelling for work. Haven't done anything other than set up the character so far but it is pretty jarring that the confirm and cancel commands are switched from the default on the machine OS...

Anyone else spent any real time with the Switch version? BK - did you finish it?

Comment

I did a full run through the Switch version, and yes, the buttons take a while to get used to, I keep thinking A is for confirmation. It does get better over time, but it really depends how much you're used to one button layout or another: for example every time with an X Box controller I have a split-second where I have to tell myself buttons are reversed compared to Nintendo controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
            I did a full run through the Switch version, and yes, the buttons take a while to get used to, I keep thinking A is for confirmation. It does get better over time, but it really depends how much you're used to one button layout or another: for example every time with an X Box controller I have a split-second where I have to tell myself buttons are reversed compared to Nintendo controllers.
            Playing the two versions at the same time is going to be odd! I'll save the Switch one for travel I think. That will last me at least a years worth of work trips!

I think it looks great when in handheld by the way, much crisper than I was expecting!

Comment

I so want to play this and DS3 but playing DS2 took something from my very soul. Clearing DS2 is one of my proudest gaming achievements of my life and i don't think I can put myself through it again. I don't know if i'm the only one who thinks like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                I so want to play this and DS3 but playing DS2 took something from my very soul. Clearing DS2 is one of my proudest gaming achievements of my life and i don't think I can put myself through it again. I don't know if i'm the only one who thinks like this.
                I didn't like DS2 as much as DS1 or DS3. It is a bit of a slog with some design choices that make it frustrating rather than enjoyable. DS1 has the best combination of style, world and (relative) ease for me.

I'll play 3 again and I'll play 1 again but I'll leave 2 alone I think.

I'd say go for it

Comment

That's funny because I was looking through my wishlist and saw I had DS2 and DS3 in there, and I thought "Nobody ever talks about DS2."

Comment

I had to shelve DS on SwitchU because of that stupid button layout. What’s even more annoying is that there is an option to swap them, but it’s greyed out. Plus nobody plays online either, which isn’t much fun.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                      I had to shelve DS on SwitchU because of that stupid button layout. What’s even more annoying is that there is an option to swap them, but it’s greyed out. Plus nobody plays online either, which isn’t much fun.
                      Spooderman will be playing online whenever he can

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        Beating DS in my opinion is a bit easier than DS2. DS2 had a lot of nasty ambushes and multi enemies some as well as some mechanics that make it a bit more difficult. I don't get the hate for DS2 I loved it, but it's not as good as 1 or 3.

Definitely give this one a go it's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                          Beating DS in my opinion is a bit easier than DS2. DS2 had a lot of nasty ambushes and multi enemies some as well as some mechanics that make it a bit more difficult. I don't get the hate for DS2 I loved it, but it's not as good as 1 or 3.

Definitely give this one a go it's awesome.
                          I remember the weapon degradation being a bit of a **** in DS2. In fact I don't think I ever finished all the DLC I was that glad it was all over!

Comment

So, NG+ is done, had to properly parry old Gwyn as a solo player, no one around to help with that fight any more! I did manage to find some help for Manus and O&S, that seems to be where people hang out now.

On NG++ I need to acquire all sorceries and miracles as well as all weapons. Oh and the darkwraith covenant. I really should have done some of that on NG+ but I rushed through it.

Need some sunbro medals I think!

Comment

I've been mucking around with my low level sorcerer, am melting some bosses, struggled with Stray Demon @ level 35 but tossed magic out the window and use my +2 reinforced club. Wow the master key breaks the game I've managed to level up my club now to +8 so early in the game by exploring and finding various titanite shards.

Currently doing the forest before I head back down to take out Quelaag.

@ ItsThere if you're on PS4 see if I'm online when you're playing & I can help out if you need it. That bloody Darkwraith covenant, what a nightmare that was!

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                                I've been mucking around with my low level sorcerer, am melting some bosses, struggled with Stray Demon @ level 35 but tossed magic out the window and use my +2 reinforced club. Wow the master key breaks the game I've managed to level up my club now to +8 so early in the game by exploring and finding various titanite shards.

Currently doing the forest before I head back down to take out Quelaag.

@ ItsThere if you're on PS4 see if I'm online when you're playing & I can help out if you need it. That bloody Darkwraith covenant, what a nightmare that was!
                                Will do, thanks, whats your soul level on your main?

I need to first of all get back there (just a small session to ring the first bell last night) and then remember what the requirements are! Oh and I need to reunlock the sunlight altar as I think I have enough medals for sunbro lvl2...

Lot's of work to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X