Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
    Tapper makes a fun appearance in Wreck it Ralph 2. A reference which will be entirely lost on virtually everyone who watches that movie, but I'm glad its there. Too bad the rest of the movie has little to do with video games. (it's mostly about YouTube, bizarrely)
    I thought the first movie had bugger all to do with games as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      Btw you don't need to run all the way back to the start of the bar... you can tap up/down and go to the next counter automatically. I didn't realise this until many years after first playing it.
      Yep that's right. I found that out after playing a few ports.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        I was never much a fan of SMK either, but after pouring so much time into MK8 decided to go back for a revisit. I'm glad I did because I can appreciate it's qualities a lot more now. An astonishing game which is by pretty much all accounts perfect. What I like most is how each of the Mode7 track surfaces handle differently. That tech was awesome for giving 3D feel.
        WHO ARE YOU AND WHERE IS THE REAL DATADAVE????

Comment

This week on Battle of the Ports we have a true classic that started life on the C64. It's Turrican.

Comment

The original Turrican really was a bit of a wow factor on the C64 on release, as it was an indication that the machine wasn’t dead and people were still pushing it for games, not just demos, Pity you didn’t get as far as the scrolling shooter sections to show those off
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

The original Turrican was a reasonable game but the second one really took home computer games in to the console level of quality. Well, at least on the Amiga and maybe Atari ST it did.

Comment

Turrican 2 stands as one of the greatest Amiga games ever made. I played it to death back in the day. It strikes a good balance of using the hardware to service the game, instead of being an Amiga tech demo, Shadow of the Beast style. The famous piece of music on the title screen runs with Huelsbeck's 7 channel audio driver. The Amiga only had 4 channels of audio natively.

The console sequels are well worth playing too, especially Mega Turrican. Good luck finding a copy at a reasonable price though. It goes for a small fortune now.

Comment

Turrican 2 stands as one of the greatest Amiga games ever made.
                  Yeah, it's a tour de force that's actually fun to play. Definitely in the Top 20 Amiga games.

instead of being an Amiga tech demo, Shadow of the Beast style.
                  Yeah, the developer obviously put a lot of time into crafting a fun experience. It's a thoroughly playable game.

The famous piece of music on the title screen runs with Huelsbeck's 7 channel audio driver. The Amiga only had 4 channels of audio natively.
                  It was interesting to read about how Chris managed that. He's a very clever guy, as well as a great musician. Too many Amiga games only have the option for Music or SFX, but some devs managed to deliver both. The Turrican 2 title tune is still highly impressive.

Comment

Turrican 2 stands as one of the greatest Amiga games ever made. I played it to death back in the day. It strikes a good balance of using the hardware to service the game, instead of being an Amiga tech demo, Shadow of the Beast style. The famous piece of music on the title screen runs with Huelsbeck's 7 channel audio driver. The Amiga only had 4 channels of audio natively.

The console sequels are well worth playing too, especially Mega Turrican. Good luck finding a copy at a reasonable price though. It goes for a small fortune now.
                    Im interested in knowing how Chris got seven sound channels out of a system with only 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      Im interested in knowing how Chris got seven sound channels out of a system with only 4.
                      Chris Huelsbeck: There are four channels software mixed into a single channel, with the remaining 3 as native Amiga channels.
                      From what I can tell -- you create 'virtual sound channels' in software that takes up 1 of the Amiga's sound channels; this reduces the sound quality but not too much. Then you have 3 high quality channels left. The result is impressive 7 channel sound, as heard on the Turrican 2 title screen.

(It really kicks in around 0:55)

Lethal Xcess is said to also feature 7 channel sound. This main theme music is very impressive.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 09-06-2019, 23:48.

Comment

I like Turrican but the camera movement really is poor as I said in [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] 's you tube video. The character is allowed to go too far before it scrolls, leaving very little time to react. Let's it down.
                        It's the same in Super Turrican also.

Comment

Here we go on another short journey around Japan. This time I show you how to buy a train ticket, ride the monorail and see how rice is grown.

Comment

I'm guessing there isn't going to be a BoTP for Turrican 3, as there was only two version Mega Drive and Amiga. The Mega Drive is the main version, but it released first on Amiga.

Nice comparison video here:

Comment

Interesting to see how the two compare. Unlike the first two games, the Megadrive version at least looks close to the Amiga version in terms of gameplay and even adds some extra detail, layers of parallax, and that funky animation to the background in that organic looking level. The colours don’t looked washed out and the music sounds decent too, in fact I preferred the Megadrive rendition of the last track in that video to the Amiga version.

Looking at the Amiga version, it too shows that the Amiga was not far off its console peers in terms of hardware capability in terms of creating a high-speed, arcade-like experience. Such a shame Commodore did not release a version of the machine with Japanese characters/keyboard, perhaps with the gaming market in mind, so some of the great Japanese developers might’ve ported their own games to it rather than licensing them out to s***houses like US Gold. I guess you’d have still had the one-button controller and piracy to contend with, but I guess at least with the controller issue, Japanese developers could have pushed using a Megadrive controller so it became more widely adopted.

I’m just reflecting as I’m a big Amiga fan and know it could’ve been so much more. To think the hardware was launched in 1985 and how far ahead it was for the time...

Comment

Sadly no Turrican 3 botp. I'm doing Toshinden next.

Comment

Working...
                                X