UK mobile networks for high downloads 4G / 5G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK mobile networks for high downloads 4G / 5G

So I'll be moving back to the UK around mid year and I want to be prepared to switch onto a local network when I get there.

My current phone is a Xiaomi android handset which I believe doesn't support all the LTE bands being used in the UK so really I want to check what networks are best for high downloads plans (say 10gb+ per month). That way if I have to change handset before the move I can purchase with a network in mind.

Note, I don't really go on 24 month plans anymore. I prefer to buy a handset outright.

You would be best off with a sim only deal from someone like EE as you get 20gb for just over £20 iirc

Comment

Thanks that looks great and similar to what I'm on here in Australia.

Comment

See our best SIM only deals, with offers on Pay monthly contracts with unlimited data plans, unlimited calls & texts. Available with 5G.

Vodafone are doing 20G for £20. Just make sure you unsubscribe to the security thingy after joining

Comment

We don't have 5G here yet. I would avoid the MVNOs that rent airspace, like Three, Virgin, Tesco, etc. I've had Three and it was slow, with not-great coverage (and this is in London, not exactly the Highlands).

I would go with Vodafone, EE or O2 for the best speeds and coverage. I've had Vodafone for 2 years and it's been reliable in terms of coverage and decently quick.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            We don't have 5G here yet. I would avoid the MVNOs that rent airspace, like Three, Virgin, Tesco, etc. I've had Three and it was slow, with not-great coverage (and this is in London, not exactly the Highlands).

I would go with Vodafone, EE or O2 for the best speeds and coverage. I've had Vodafone for 2 years and it's been reliable in terms of coverage and decently quick.
            I’ve been using Three for 6 years now and they have been fine. Speeds are good, coverage is fine country wide (I’ve had full signal in highlands & up scarfel peak) plus they are the only network with an infinite data option.

Infinite data.
            Infinite mins.
            Infinite texts.
            30gig hotspot.
            £30 a month

Can’t beat that.

Comment

Ah right, glad it's worked well for you. I had it for a few years, due to the generous prices (I had unlimited everything, including tethering, for £15 pm!), but found that speeds were bad and inside buildings signal would haveten drop. Just my experience.
              Last edited by wakka; 30-01-2018, 00:43.

Comment

I'm with three and whilst it is great for not having to worry about the data limits, I find the 4G coverage to be almost non-existant and the speeds to be noticably slower than my other phone which is on EE.

But otherwise it does the job for app downloads, youtube etc.

Interestingly they no longer offer many unlimited data plans, I even wondered if my connection was throttled to try and get me to end my contract.
                Last edited by EvilBoris; 05-02-2018, 20:07.

Comment

I had the unlimited everything for 15 quid with three, plus free Spotify while I was with them. Then they took Spotify away, I protested, they said they'd never offered that, I sent a screenshot showing it to be true, they said we'll see you in court basically so I left.

Comment

Working...
                  X