Ereaders can you recommend one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ereaders can you recommend one

Hi guys, I had a nook Ereader before and it was brilliant and cheap. However I lost it along with a bunch of stuff when I had to move in an emergency. Can you knowledgeable folks please recommend some to me, please? What I would prefer is compatibility with most formats and a memory card slot if possible. I know they're mostly terrible with pdfs although I don't know if that has changed. Thanks for reading.

You can't really go wrong with Amazon's Kindle Paperwhite - the 300 PPI makes them work fairly well with PDFs.

Comment

I'm waiting for.one of the massive screen colour ones to come out of development. Want to read technical pdfs and comics on it. Will follow this thread with interest

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        I'm waiting for.one of the massive screen colour ones to come out of development. Want to read technical pdfs and comics on it. Will follow this thread with interest
        Still the main motivation I had getting a Nexus 10 a few years back. The resolution is much better than it needed to be.

Comment

I bought a cheap used Xperia Z1 tablet. It's very slow but that really doesn't matter for an ereader. Only 1080p though, to xtra resolution would be useful for technical docs. Comics look pretty great on it. Still want an eink device though.

Comment

Hi [MENTION=11673]shinobi7000[/MENTION], nice to see you. I hope you're keeping well. If I knew you were around, I'd have mentioned the Accident Man screening with a Q&A with Scott Adkins last week at the Mockingbird Cinema.

Anyway! I'm on holiday and got my Kindle out after years of neglect (kids!) and I still love it.

I finished off the last book I was reading and downloaded the sequel in seconds.

Most Amazon books are fairly cheap, but you can add safe email addresses and email files to your Kindle, including ones you've obtained from sites like Mobilism.

You can also convert comics and read PDFs. I read Akira and Lone Wolf and Cub on my Kindle Keyboard (2010).

I have a waterproof pouch for the pool or beach and an official case that uses the Kindle's power for a light. Newer versions are smaller and have backlights, but mine is still perfect for me.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. I would love a colour eink device but the price would probably be prohibitive when they are first released. QC thanks for the kind words I'd have loved to attend that screening with you but I was in hospital for two months just got out the other day. I hadn't visited here since the last time I posted. I was quite ill since December but I reacted badly to a medication I was prescribed and went through hell without knowing it was making me worse. As soon as I was admitted to hospital they removed that medication but I've lost a lot of faith in my doctors. The hospital was great though. I haven't posted in the NHS thread but I think the NHS is too valuable to be allowed to die.

Back on topic... has anyone got a Kobo Aura ereader? The kindle has superior resolution and better pdf support but the Aura handles a huge amount of formats and it would save a lot of time and hassle converting books. It's a shame it's supposed to be terrible with pdfs.

Comment

Get yourself down CEX and get yourself a second-hand Kindle for about £20.

I don't want to derail the thread, so basically I'm sorry you've not been well but glad you've made it to the other side. I'll see if any other Fu events are coming up.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion QC they seem to have some kindles in Stock but b and c graded. I would love to hear from someone who has a Kobo but they seem to be way less popular than Kindles.

Off topic but has prinnysquad been around these parts?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    I bought a cheap used Xperia Z1 tablet. It's very slow but that really doesn't matter for an ereader. Only 1080p though, to xtra resolution would be useful for technical docs. Comics look pretty great on it. Still want an eink device though.
                    How do you get along with that, out of interest?

I can't read a book on a tablet; I would need an e-ink screen as they're easier on the eyes for extended reading.

Comment

I just use EBookDroid's white-on-black mode to avoid the glare, although it makes the text seem smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                        Thanks for the suggestion QC they seem to have some kindles in Stock but b and c graded. I would love to hear from someone who has a Kobo but they seem to be way less popular than Kindles.

Off topic but has prinnysquad been around these parts?
                        He still about!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          How do you get along with that, out of interest?

I can't read a book on a tablet; I would need an e-ink screen as they're easier on the eyes for extended reading.
                          Comics very good. Technical PDFs not bad. I wouldn't try to read a novel on it though.

Comment

The problem with tablets right now is that the resolution has devolved to pre-1920*1080 screens. Bugs the hell out of me that the Nexus 7 2013 is still better than most right now.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                              The problem with tablets right now is that the resolution has devolved to pre-1920*1080 screens. Bugs the hell out of me that the Nexus 7 2013 is still better than most right now.
                              It's because although "retina" screens are pretty, most of the devices don't have anywhere near the graphics hardware to power them. A while ago I got a tablet free as part of a promotion, a Windows 10 one. It's dreadful. The battery discharges faster than it charges, and it has a really nice, bright, hi-res display... That chugs even if you're running Excel.

It's because so many people have phones that are higher resolution than their computer monitors!!

Comment

Working...
                              X