Online First Person Shooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online First Person Shooter

I am looking for a FPS mainly for online play and curious as to what the best games are with a fairly consistent number of players.

Obviously, everybody will suggest MW2 but I am attempting to stay away from Activision games due to their business etiquette from the last few years. I am expecting to get Left 4 Dead 2 for Christmas which will help for some co-op, but I still remember and crave the team based action from Counter-Strike and Unreal Tournament (capture the flag), and would love to rekindle that feeling.

I have been playing a bit of Uncharted 2 multiplayer but the lack of maps and players is really hindering my enjoyment, so variation is wanted.

I have both a 360 and PS3 so exclusives won't be a problem.

If MW2 is indeed an out-and-out leader for this and there isn't a comparison, I'll consider stopping my boycott.

Left 4 Dead 2 is AWESOME, but so is the first.

BF Bad Company is excellent.

Orange Box is also excellent.

Halo 3 & ODST are both good.

COD games for me personally i find crap as the maps are too small and the teams are too small. MW is better than MW2 imo.

Tbh, i play nearly all my FPS games on the PC purely for the speed i get with a M&KB over a pad. But those above are still good on either system

Comment

Left 4 dead 2's vs mode is great, youre not just getting co-op with that game.

I'm not sure what Unreal Tournament III's user base is like, but I would imagine its pretty big, the game can be picked up cheap now so you could give that a go If you use to be a fan of the Series. The PS3 version is superior apparently.

The Modern Warfare games arent great for beginners, they are fast paced and can be pretty brutal if youre new to them but if youre willing to put in the effort probabaly more people play them online than any other competative FPS.

I'd Recomend getting the Orange Box, Team Fortress 2 is great, though I'm not sure how many people play it on consoles anymore. And if you do get it, get the 360 version, as the PS3 version was botched aparently.

Battllefield 1943 on XBL/PSN seems popular too.
      Last edited by rmoxon; 24-11-2009, 16:06.

Comment

Re: your decision not to play Activision games.

Do you want to be their friend or enjoy yourself?

If you feel morally better for not supporting them that's cool but this isn't exactly boycotting something that really matters.

Modern Warfare 2 is fantastic online. Give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
          Re: your decision not to play Activision games.

Do you want to be their friend or enjoy yourself?

If you feel morally better for not supporting them that's cool but this isn't exactly boycotting something that really matters.

Modern Warfare 2 is fantastic online. Give it a try
          It's more about feeling better about myself by not directly supporting a company who I feel is being detrimental to video games. But like I said, if MW2 does indeed warrant the praise it is getting then I'll pick up a second hand copy.

Comment

How are they being detrimental to games?

I understand that this is off topic but there is this crazy notion that Activision are somehow being detrimental to games when they go ahead and release a genuinely amazing game like Modern Warfare 2.

Then you say you'll pick it up second hand which is detrimental to the games industry.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
              How are they being detrimental to games?
              Certain activities such as when they decided against publishing Brutal Legend and Ghostbusters as they were not franchises that were seen as having annual sequels, and they subsequent proposed lawsuit against Double Fine. The numerous quotes which have come from Kotick such as wanting to "exploit" any successful franchises (read Guitar Hero).

Comment

Orange box Team fortress - awesome game, lots of fun

Comment

Originally posted by stevie vip 99 View Post
                  Orange box Team fortress - awesome game, lots of fun
                  Does this still have a large community on the 360? I have been reading around and it has been suggested that the PC version really is the best one and the 360 is a step down, especially with patches which haven't yet been released.

Thanks for all the advice and comments, all very helpful.

I'm thinking that I'll download Battlefield 1943, and possibly pick up Left 4 Dead 2 over the next couple of days as an early Christmas gift from myself to myself. Hopefully, the two should cover my cravings.

Comment

Tbf, if you want the best FPS games available you must consider MW2. Even tho i don't particularly like it, it is one of the best online games out there on the two consoles.

Just be vary wary tho if you are a "noob" on any of the COD games. As Rmoxon said above, most of the players on there are absolute mustard, and you will in all probability die very frequently. Even on the easy levels. I quite simply cannot complete against even sh*tty console players as i find the pad far too cumbersome after years with M&KB. You have been warned.

But stick with it and if you have the time (a lot of it) you'll get decent enough to start topping the rankings in some games. Its not the most popular console online franchise shooter for nothing

Comment

Working...
                    X