This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    More recently, Watch have started showing Dynamo: Magician Impossible, and it's brilliant. It takes me twice as long to watch it because every time he does a trick, I'm rewinding it and trying to work out how he's done it! Some of it is very clever misdirection but some of it is absolutely baffling and I have no idea how he does it
    Caught a bit of that earlier, was loads of fun, very much in the vein of David Blaine's original 'street magic' show (which WAS excellent, at the time), but done by a very charming, very Yorkshirey Yorkshireman, but in AMERICA, and they all seem to understand him(!!!!). Odd combo makes for great viewing.

Also watched episode 2 & 3 of Breaking Bad Season 1, this is just like a very excellent crime thriller movie that keeps on being fantastic, loving this even more right now, consistently hooking n' thrilling all the way!!!!

Comment

Breaking Bad is possibly the best show on these days, it reminds me at times of the most messed up moments of Pulp Fiction. Hard to compare, but in my mind it reminds me of that. Great show, you will love season two when a certain lawyer gets involved.

Comment

Breaking bad is my favourite tv show in years......for me the first season was amazing, the bathtub through ceiling part had me spitting my drink. Serious, blackly comical.....and with a main character thats as complex as you like, well jesse is too.

Comment

Another thumbs up for Breaking Bad. Best show since The Wire

The script and the acting is just phonominal. Only thing that bothers me is Walt looking more and more like Gordon Freeman!

Comment

watched the usa version of top gear...its pretty bad they should have done there own thing rather then trying to copy the uk version

Comment

Anyone see Horizon last night? It was very interesting and claimed (and backed up by doctors and researchers) that if you were born a heavy baby then you will probably live a long and healthy life, but if you were born a light baby you probably have a poor constitution and need all the help you can get (as in regular exercise and a good diet) to avoid serious illness/disease.

Comment

My nan was 14lb when born, smoked 60 a day and still lived to 87 so I can back that 'research' up.

Comment

14lbs? Dear god, your poor great grandmother.

Comment

Is it ok to like True Blood? It's alot of fun and this season is excellent. I can't get anyone to watch it though as they assume it is Twilight the TV series.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                      Anyone see Horizon last night? It was very interesting and claimed (and backed up by doctors and researchers) that if you were born a heavy baby then you will probably live a long and healthy life, but if you were born a light baby you probably have a poor constitution and need all the help you can get (as in regular exercise and a good diet) to avoid serious illness/disease.
                      I was 6lbs which I think is quite light, mainly due to me being strangled by the umbilical cord for a bit. As far as I know 6lbs is still within "normal" boundaries, just at the lighter end. Do they mean significantly light? If not then bugger! Haha...

Comment

I was close to 12lb so I'm sorted

I made it through the first 2 seasons of True Blood but what killed it was that Sookie needed a good smacking for annoying me and, well... it is Twilight. Just like Vampire Diaries it's all the same weak storyline peddled out again and again.

Comment

Originally posted by koopatroopa90 View Post
                          I was 6lbs which I think is quite light, mainly due to me being strangled by the umbilical cord for a bit. As far as I know 6lbs is still within "normal" boundaries, just at the lighter end. Do they mean significantly light? If not then bugger! Haha...
                          They didn't mention switch on and cut off points on the weight scale so I'm not sure, but the impression was the heavier the better and the lighter the worse. 7.5lbs is the UK average so you were born 20% short of that.

Comment

Seven Wonders of The Buddhist World with historian Bettany Hughes.

Wanted to start a new thread for this but my TV threads of old haven't proved the most popular so it would probably be a waste of web space. Anyway, really good programme and a good introduction to Buddhism. Worth watching just to see the beautiful Buddhist temples and sites around the world to be honest, but it also contained much wisdom: renounce materialism, mofos, take solace in your soul, that kinda ****. You get the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                              Seven Wonders of The Buddhist World with historian Bettany Hughes. Wanted to start a new thread for this but my TV threads of old haven't proved the most popular so it would probably be a waste of web space. Anyway, really good programme and a good introduction to Buddhism. Worth watching just to see the beautiful Buddhist temples and sites around the world to be honest, but it also contained much wisdom: renounce materialism, mofos, take solace in your soul, that kinda ****. You get the idea.
                              That sounds good. BTW, what is the difference between Zen Buddhism and other types, if there even is one? I always read or hear quotes about Zen but I have little knowledge of the belief system.

Comment

Heh, you couldn't have asked a much more difficult question.

Okay, it's quite a difficult concept to explain but Zen, in essence, is a strict form of Buddhism that discards knowledge of the material and theoretical world in favour of knowledge of the self achieved by long, regular and focused bouts of meditation with the ultimate goal of achieving 'awakening' or enlightenment. It originated when Buddhism moved east to China but got it's name after reaching Japan. Zen's probably the hardest form of Buddhism to practise, not only because the external world - which Zen says is irrelevant - is difficult to ignore but also because it demands many hours of meditation a day. You could call it Buddhist fundamentalism.

Comment

Working...
                                X