No announcement yet.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories [Wii/PSP]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing this on Wii right now and absolutely loving it. The nightmare sections are so intense, I need to keep taking a break to calm down. But that's only making it last longer.

I've never played a Silent Hill game before but this makes me want to try more. The story is so intriguing and the gameplay very inventive in places. And when the two come together, like the

car drowning

scene, it makes for one of the best survival horror games I've ever played.

Comment

Just finished it, actually. I found the ending rather touching. And the way it all unfolds, without spoiling anything, was very clever.

I'm not sure quite how much of the game was tailored according to the choices I made but it definitely got under my skin and the ending had huge personal resonance for me.

Well done, Climax. I've always written you off as a bit ****. Guess I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
        Never played a Silent Hill game before. Is this quite a good representation of the series as a whole, or quite different?
        Very different in many ways.

One of the main differences is that there is almost always a threat in the other Silent Hill games. Creatures and things are in most locations, so you don't get to explore in safety. The atmosphere in many of them is far more oppressive. Silent Hill 1 still creeps the hell out of me - it's like the game beats me over the head as I play it.

It gets dark and icky and scary. And then gets much darker, ickier and scarier.

If you can take the PS1 graphics, I'd say give the first one a go. It looks really muddy and dirty and in ways the graphics are piss poor - and yet the lighting effects are great and the muddy graphics actually really enhance the atmosphere. It's on US PSN for PS3 or PSP.

But, the plot is convoluted, a bit crap in places and nowhere near as adult as Shattered Memories. For the great story and characters, you have to look to Silent Hill 2, which is an amazing experience. Not as scary as Silent Hill 1. Like Shattered Memories, it's more contemplative and has a sadness throughout the whole game. Silent Hill 2 really affected me. It's a beautiful game.

But they are very different to Shattered Memories. That's partly why I loved Shattered Memories so much. The early SH games were groundbreaking in some ways but, by the fifth and sixth game, personally, I felt the series had totally run out of steam. So it's wonderful to see Climax breathe new life into Silent Hill.

Comment

I've preordered the PS2 version from play.com. I'm guessing it's not gonna have a big print run, so grabbing it while it's avalible.

Comment

Superb stuff, this. Started a file on my gals copy last night. Really impressive to see that the initial choices we both made resulted in some big differences with

It's all really clever and brilliantly executed so far. Quite creepy too, there's something about the white noise coming from the Wii speaker that really freaks me out!

I'm up to a puzzle in the school, and whilst I've not quite got it sussed yet, the puzzle itself is just really smart, and pretty darn original too. The use of the phone is just great too.

Had one moment of significant frustration in the second nightmare sequence. But this was largely me being overly reliant on the map. Aside from that, I'm tempted to say I'm enjoying it more than Heavy Rain to be honest.

Comment

Yeah, I found the map fairly useless in the nightmare sections except to get a general sense of direction or to check if you've been going in circles.

Comment

Completed this yesterday, thought it was mostly fantastic but the chase sequences can be really frustrating.

The map is useless enough as it is but when you havent even got time to check if youre heading in the right direction becuase everytime you look at it you get humped by naked people without faces, its just not pleasent at all.

Was also kinda disapointed in the twist ending, I had it mostly figured out from the second therapy sequence which is really early on in the game. The psych profile it gives you near the end seemed pretty acturate though, I answered all the questions honestly and I think the report at the end pretty much described me.

Despite a few flaws its deffinitley a very good game overall, I'm not even really a big Silent Hill fan, but they did away with pretty much everything I found dull about the series previously, kept the fantastic atmosphere and setting and just made a great and original game.
                Last edited by rmoxon; 02-03-2010, 12:59.

Comment

Is this game really that old?! After loving the PSP version and playing through it many times, I always wanted to get the Wii version to play it on a telly with whatever graphical improvements that has. Around 8 years later, I got around to trying to source it and a wonderful forum member here sorted me out. And today I played through the entire game in a single sitting.

I loved it all over again.

Now that time has past, it’s interesting now to see this more as a walking sim which became a thing after this game came out. It has the nightmare sections of course but, without those, it would be a pretty typical walking sim. And playing it again, I still feel the game would be better without those sections. Even more so on Wii because of the motion controls - shaking enemies off was much easier on PSP. With the Wii, I found I would try flinging them off and often it wouldn’t register and now I wouldn’t be pointing at the screen so couldn’t move properly. It’s messy. Mercifully there are only a few of those sections in the game and they are pretty short. I could have done without them.

Pretty much everything else, I love. The atmosphere is beautiful. Sad and confusing and desperate. The torch controls are great on Wii. Definitely better than the PSP. It has been so long since I played it that I can’t say for sure what differences there are in the graphics but, given the hardware, I think it looks pretty great (although I would buy a HD polished version if we ever got that). There is a strong sense of design style in the game - it’s kind of grey and dirty and nicely so. And the journey and story plays out really well. I find myself wanting to know more about these characters and I think that’s a good sign. I want to see where Michelle goes next. I’d like to see a Dahlia and young Harry romance story where they get into trouble. They’re weird and it’s like we get random disconnected glimpses of the characters and yet they feel pretty solid somehow. It’s well written.

And the end has as much impact as it did back in the day. I got drunk Harry. Again. I seem to gravitate towards drunk Harry.

All in all, I loved replaying this. It’s a very different Silent Hill game and a real gem in my opinion. It’s a shame the series died a horrible, horrible death but we got some great games along the way.

Comment

Nice write-up, I'm going to start playing this. Had it on Wii for years and not given it the time of day for ages.

Comment

Working...
                    X