No announcement yet.

Blu-Ray Best Of The Best - for discussing releases only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently released and amazing (especially if you like nature or photography).....

Winged Migration

Comment

Just got my BD copy of Silent Hill today. It is ****ing amazing.

To say I'm furious at the reviewers who slated this title for video, is an understatement. These idiots do damage to home theater. This is one of the best examples of HD I've ever seen. The level of detail is utterly excellent - every bit as good as King Kong on HD DVD. The only down side is that this is an MPEG-2 title and all of this detail occasionally proves a little too much for the dated codec, resulting in some compression noise. When this gets reviewed for DVD Times I'm making sure it gets a 9/10. I don't normally gush over video transfers, but seriously.

If Blu-ray can consistently deliver quality like this, it deserves to win. Apparently not all the releases can, which is a shame.
      Last edited by Lyris; 02-02-2007, 11:39.

Comment

No first hand experience, but Chicago on BD is getting rave reviews at the mo. Can't stand the film myself, but apparently the disc is truly reference quality in pic & sound terms.

Taken from a post at homethetheater forum -

24-bit LPCM 5.1 lossless. That's right. 24 bit.

AVC-compressed 1080p video that sometimes peaked at over 40 mbps!!! That's like running MPEG2 at 80 mbps.

The level of image and sound quality of this disc is unreal. It VASTLY outperforms the 35mm print I saw projected theatrically in NYC when the film was first released. The 1080p sourced from the IP actually results in an image superior to the "mass duped" 35mm print quality of the theatrical prints in this case.

There is so much detail, the image is so sharp and 3-dimensional, it will blow your mind. While you listen to 24-bit lossless, of course.
        Last edited by Geoff D; 02-02-2007, 12:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
          Just got my BD copy of Silent Hill today. It is ****ing amazing.

To say I'm furious at the reviewers who slated this title for video, is an understatement. These idiots do damage to home theater. This is one of the best examples of HD I've ever seen. The level of detail is utterly excellent - every bit as good as King Kong on HD DVD. The only down side is that this is an MPEG-2 title and all of this detail occasionally proves a little too much for the dated codec, resulting in some compression noise. When this gets reviewed for DVD Times I'm making sure it gets a 9/10. I don't normally gush over video transfers, but seriously.

If Blu-ray can consistently deliver quality like this, it deserves to win. Apparently not all the releases can, which is a shame.
          Get em' to send you the newer releases mate.

Crank looks ****ing awesome on BD I thought.

Comment

Will need to try and get that one, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
              The only down side is that this is an MPEG-2 title and all of this detail occasionally proves a little too much for the dated codec, resulting in some compression noise.
              Worth considering that compression noise might actually be inherent to the source as Silent Hill wasn't entirely shot on 35mm. There's a fair bit of HDCam suff thrown in there.

Comment

Where do you guys order your Blu Ray dics from? Ordered myself a U.S PS3 and was wondering who the best retailers are for service, price and speed of delivery (oh, and no customs charges too)?

Comment

I use DVD World USA for most of my HD DVD purchases, and they sell Blu Ray as well. I ordered six HD DVDs from them a while ago and they marked the value down to $29.99 so I didn't get any customs charges. They arrived in four days as well (I did pay for 3-5 day delivery though, so that was to be expected).

Comment

DVD Pacific.com

Comment

Anyone got the Euro KOH DC or BHD ?
                      They are among the best looking US discs just wondered how they stand up ?

Comment

picked up chicago and reservoir dogs recently.

only tried rd but the pic is really good one of the best i have seen.

annoying the security stickers have left a sticky residue on the box. anyone know where i can get a replacement box or something good that removes it.

Comment

i may pick up a PS3 now as the 'war' has swung to blu-ray and dont look like changing. hopefully nearly over as just want one format for everything personally.

Blu-ray future titles looking really quite tasty now too.

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure that things have swung in the Blu-ray direction, it's still early days yet. Well done to Sony for continuing their obnoxious yet fairly admirably aggressive campaign though.

Comment

Sony: "We've won!"

Rocky Balboa in March

Comment

Originally posted by Bleeders View Post
                                Is that the 5th time now? I've lost count. I do like how Sony have waited for a drought of HD DVD software to start paying attention to sales figures though

A pity the HD DVD guys can't be that pushy and aggressive.

Comment

Working...
                                X