No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Though it’s still a long way off, the proposed live-action “Star Wars” series for Disney’s upcoming streaming service is set to cost a pretty penny. In a profile on Disney executive Ricky Strauss, The New York Times touched upon the studio’s as-yet-untitled Disney streaming service which won’t be going cheap with its original programming as […]

Disney looks set to shell out $100m to make the ten episode long live action first season of the upcoming Star Wars series

Comment

That will be the main killer app for the DisneyFlix launch I assume.

Comment

Forbes has released a piece based on rumours that Disney is mulling either having Episode IX be the longest film yet or splitting it into two and giving us Episode X as well.

I don't see it myself currently but I'm not entirely opposed. I don't care so much about the breaking the trilogy aspect, its a bit of a fake habit the franchise has born more of a quirk than a set thing so one more or two I'm good. I'm more concerned about how often splitting into two installments results in utter guff, it's just a very bad way of making films and I can imagine the contract issues would be a nightmare especially considering some like Ridley want out already.

It sounds more like a rumour born of fans wanting their to be an Abrams made Ep 7, 9 and 10 so they can pretend 8 isn't that much of a thing.

Comment

From a business standpoint two more episodes will make the house of mouse rain dollar bills from its corporate walls. However from a viewer's POV it could end up being effective or take the franchise back into the territory of the prequels (shudder).

If Episode IX (and if it happens Ep. X) show Ep. VIII to be the divisive one I'm alright with that. I get the feeling the last one will fit in better in context but that means that Ep. IX with have to do some heavy lifting with explaining the why what where of Ep. VIII (or Abrams throws a professional two fingers in Rian Johnson's direction and course-corrects the series).

Comment

I have never seen a film split into two that I thought worked. And Abrams is abysmal at endings. He’s good at fan service though so I imagine a bunch of people will be happy but I’m fully expecting a terrible story.

Comment

Avengers should manage it!

Comment

Yes, I also think the Avengers should manage Star Wars. That Tony Stark has a good eye for story.

Wait, that’s not what you meant, is it?

Comment

The mistake always was announcing it as a contained trilogy. Lucas just happened to stop at three the first time and slapping a IV in New Hope necessitated a trilogy the second. No-one would have minded announcing VII on its own and just making new episodes as the script and need arose as event films. Instead they're going to be working out how to conclude an arc for the sake of it. Hell, I'd happily see it run with Ep X, XI etc because I still don't feel that Ep VII or VIII have covered much ground or really justified the point of them as main Episodes. The plot of the main films needs to be more important than the spin-offs and as it stands we're pretty much still expected to only care about whiner Kylo and how he's offed.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    Lucas just happened to stop at three the first time
                    Not quite. Once he put the IV on the first film, he said many times in interviews that he was going for three trilogies. So the format was intentional. He then changed his plans going into RotJ, wrapping it up in a way that didn't need that third trilogy (originally the other that Yoda referred to in Empire would have had focus in the third trilogy). It's still all pretty arbitrary so your point stands but it's not like stopping at the third film was accidental.

Comment

Just think what things would be like if he'd make EpVII-IX instead of I-III! To be honest, it's really got me thinking... is there that much point to the new trilogy storyline? The main consistent thread is trying to overthrow the Empire/Order, a feat we know can't be achieved and the storyline of the Skywalkers which is something the new films... I guess kind of cover but from more of the perspective of characters who aren't Skywalkers.

It's interesting that we've gone from the original trilogy which had a tale were Luke is kind of The One to having nine films which largely show the Skywalker lineage as being pretty much a failure.

Comment

Got to be honest, I have zero attachment to the idea of it being the story of a Skywalker dynasty. While the original trilogy was Luke’s hero’s journey, it played out as an ensemble piece and the most stupid thing that ever happened in the original trilogy was Leila turning out to be Luke’s sister (and only happened due to wrapping up the trilogy with RotJ - that was not planned). And the prequels are rubbish and Anakin is easily the worst thing in them, and I’m including Damien from Home and Away in that. So I care little for the idea that it is the story of the Skywalkers.

But to answer your question on whether there is a point? Absolutely not, the story was wrapped. But then I guess the same is true for a huge number of sequels. There are a load of unnecessary sequels and some turned out pretty great.

But yeah, it would have been interesting had that change in direction with RotJ not happened. Leia wouldn’t be Luke’s sister for one thing and we’d have another trilogy about a different Jedi in training who eventually meets and joins with Luke to defeat the Empire. Could have been very cool. Could have been rubbish of course but it’s fun to speculate.

Comment

The trailer for Star Wars: Resistance:

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            The trailer for Star Wars: Resistance:

Urrgh...

Comment

Former “Doctor Who” and “The Crown” star Matt Smith has reportedly joined the cast of the J.J. Abrams-directed “Star Wars: Episode IX” at Lucasfilm and Disney Pictures. Specifics of his role are unknown. The project is four weeks into production in the UK with Smith joining a cast that includes Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar […]

Matt Smith has joined Star Wars Episode IX

Comment

Let's see if he gets more screen time than he did in that Terminator film.

Comment

Working...
                                X