This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    Would also be nice to see WHEN THE WIND BLOWS again.

Have you noticed you never hear it spoken of? At all???
    Such an interesting film.
    I thought it was going to be all warm and cuddly like The Snowman, but by the time he's pissing blood into a bucket, I kinda realised it was going for a very different angle.

Comment

Loving the vintage cinema love on here! Let's re-educate each other about these brill old films!!!

I don't wanna see most modern movies anymore. They're depressing and samey and all look the same and are weirdly less visceral yet much more violent. They all seem to blur into each other.

Let's give Bogey a chance. Jimmy Cagney, W.C. Fields a chance. The old sh.it. Die alte scheisse.

Let's face it, I've never seen WHITE HEAT but I'm damn sure it's gonna be at least 215% better than the new Star Wars or DCU or MCU shide that gets shat out next.

So much good stuff I still haven't seen and I'm glad there's loads of these little, weird retro movie channels popping up on Freeview, bang on I've been watching all my old fave Brit 60s B&W kitchen sink/angry young man dramas on there, hallelujah!

***BTW, if anyone spots O! LUCKY MAN, LEO THE LAST or CHARLIE BUBBLES turning up on some obscure Freeview channel, please alert me!!!***
      Check out the indicator/powerhouse, arrow, Twilight Time, kino Lorber or olive labels on bluray if you fancy seeing older movies looking their best. Most have been rescanned / cleaned up and some have had full restorations. Indicator recently did an awesome transfer of Charlie Bubbles and Twilight Time released When the wind blows, which has recently been picked up by a UK publisher. Network have released loads of older British films and series. Their full restoration of The Professionals, is like walking into an eighties time warp, it looks that good! No marvel in my gaff ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
        Their full restoration of The Professionals, is like walking into an eighties time warp, it looks that good! No marvel in my gaff ;-)
        The blurays are awesome.

This is how we should be rolling! Avengers = John Steed.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
          Check out the indicator/powerhouse, arrow, Twilight Time, kino Lorber or olive labels on bluray if you fancy seeing older movies looking their best. Most have been rescanned / cleaned up and some have had full restorations. Indicator recently did an awesome transfer of Charlie Bubbles and Twilight Time released When the wind blows, which has recently been picked up by a UK publisher. Network have released loads of older British films and series. Their full restoration of The Professionals, is like walking into an eighties time warp, it looks that good! No marvel in my gaff ;-)
          Yeah, it's actually a wonderful time to be a film buyer. There are so many good labels on Blu-Ray, doing so many excellent releases.

I think in some ways the decline of physical media as the primary mainstream delivery method for home viewing has done good things for enthusiasts. Going into Fopp, they're now devoting significant shelf space to Arrow, Indicator, BFI, Signal 1 and others, organising them by label and even having a 'Collector's Chart' section which takes up more space than the regular Blu-Ray chart. It's great.

Comment

Fopp?! Is it still going???!!

Always used to pop into Fopp when visiting Sheffield but I haven't been to Sheffy in yeeeeears. Fopp is great!

As for the Network DVDs, I've seen a catalogue of theirs and the amount of old stuff they've released is staggering. I *do* own two of theirs, however...both Hale & Pace lol.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
              The blurays are awesome.
              Genuinely surprised you're not watching these on 8mm reels, grandad.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Genuinely surprised you're not watching these on 8mm reels, grandad.
                Arl get yer!

Comment

Fopp?! Is it still going???!!

Always used to pop into Fopp when visiting Sheffield but I haven't been to Sheffy in yeeeeears. Fopp is great!

As for the Network DVDs, I've seen a catalogue of theirs and the amount of old stuff they've released is staggering. I *do* own two of theirs, however...both Hale & Pace lol.
                  Still going! There’s only one branch in London but it’s always busy when I go in. Staff are really friendly too.

Checking the website there are others spread around the UK - Manchester, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow. No Sheffield though.
                  Last edited by wakka; 22-10-2019, 14:35.

Comment

Ah, pity. Used to be my main reason for visiting Sheffield. Amazing selection of jazz/funk/fusion CDs at a fiver or less. That and that massive old skool department store, T.J. Hughes. Proper 60s-style. Don't know if THAT's still there, either.

Might have to pay a visit to that Manchester Fopp, not too far away from me.

Comment

I rewatched Godzilla King of the Monsters and it really worked great on a second watch. It’s beautiful looking film, a real piece of art. It looks like they had gorgeous concept art and instead of just using it as inspiration they aimed to get it exactly like it. Some amazing shots. Really strong score too.

Then I watched Kong Skull Island which I hadn’t seen before. I really enjoyed it. It’s quite cartoony by comparison even though King of the Monsters is just as ridiculous in terms of concept but the tones are very different. The actions of the soldiers were so stupid right from the start so the premise itself felt a bit forced and contrived - not because there is a giant ape and all sorts of monsters but because they had to have people do stuff that just seemed like they’d never do to set the movie up. And it spent time setting up characters that turned out to just be monster fodder and I thought that time could probably have been better spent but it’s a fun film with some great sequences. And John C Reilly really gave it a heart. He was excellent in it.

Even aside from the huge size difference, which I’m assuming they’ll even out, it’s hard to imagine Kong going up against Godzilla in any way at all.

Comment

I watched Us again on Friday night. I loved it at the cinema and it's a story that begs a repeat viewing. But it didn't and couldn't match up to the first time. I did laugh more though ... the comedy comes through more when you're not trying to work out wtf is going on.

Then I watched the Cape Fear remake. I always liked the film but hadn't seen it for a long time. Watching it again I loved it. Like someone on here said it's like a Hitchcock film for a modern era ... and it really does have a factor I can't quite put my finger on but it's definitely there. And the camera work is out of this world.
                        Last edited by Atticus; 28-10-2019, 13:38.

Comment

Watched The Shallows on Film4 again last night for want of nothing better to do.

Derivative and in places silly and unrealistic but at its core is as good a survival horror film as any I've watched in ages. Lots of CGI but restrained enough not to detract from the experience, sometimes quite attractive and well filmed generally. Wimps out a bit on the gore which maybe a plus for some people but the self-surgery sequences are wonderfully explicit and particularly well done .

Comment

Stripes

Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Ivan Reitman? PLAY

Mud wrestling scene was great.

Mr. Deeds

I like Adam Sandler - maybe even love him - and I'm not ashamed to say it. So screw you, butchers.

Comment

Halloween
                              The re-quel from last year, never scary as these films never are but I enjoyed it on rewatch, more so than I thought I would.

Comment

Do The Right Thing - Whatever your opinion of the messages in this film it's a great period/location piece. That sweltering hot day in late 80s Brooklyn is such a perfect backdrop for a film. And what a film it is. Cracking Criterion blu too.

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                Halloween
                                The re-quel from last year, never scary as these films never are but I enjoyed it on rewatch, more so than I thought I would.
                                I enjoyed it too. Will try and watch both this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X