Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 British Musicians

Hi,

I need a list of 15 British musicians, bands, solo artists, classical composers etc, as part of a very brief guide to arts in the UK.

Any suggestions? My knowledge of music is very poor indeed, although obviously I have some in mind. At least one or two fairly recent ones would be good, and hopefully a couple of solo singers if possible - most of the names that spring immediately to mind are groups.

Thanks in advance for any help.

in terms of longevity, international success and influence Depeche Mode make a good case study.

as for singers, what about Tom Jones, Rod Stuart, Elton John, George Michael, all pretty easy to research and write about.

Comment

Beatles are the obvious one you should start with.

As for more recent, Blur and Oasis are very important.

Comment

Gary Numan would be a good solo entry. Been around for years and quite influential.
        Kate Bush is a fine example also.

Comment

Queen!

That is all.

Comment

If it's a guide to the arts, I'm assuming they have to be culturally relevant today (i.e.they still need to be performing music and their performances are culturally relevant).

If that's true, then I recommend:

Thom Yorke & Jonny Greenwood
            Richard Hawley
            Richard James (Aphex Twin)
            Mark E.Smith
            Dizzie Rascal
            Roots Manuva
            Damon Albarn
            Jason Pierce

Comment

has anybody actually ever bought a Richard Hawley cd or does he just press 10 copies of each one for the broadsheets to froth over ?

Comment

It really depends on what you're trying to say.

Here's a list of some of the best-selling artists, so if it's bands that have made a big impact, you're looking at:
                The Beatles
                Queen,
                Bee Gees,
                Elton John,
                Led Zeppelin
                Pink Floyd
                Rolling Stones
                David Bowie
                Deep Purple

...and so on.

You might find inspiration from some of the headline acts at Glastonbury over the years too:
                Muse
                U2
                Blur
                Status Quo
                The Verve
                Artic Monkeys
                The Who
                Oasis
                Coldplay

Hope this helps!

Comment

Annie Lennox - I have no idea why she popped into my mind as I don't own any of her music.

Comment

Thank you - these are very helpful. Those of you who read the music threads I started when posting as Stroppy might remember that what I know about music is on the small side of bugger all.

Classical ones - I decided to go with Britten, Elgar and Vaughan Williams. That sound OK?

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                      has anybody actually ever bought a Richard Hawley cd or does he just press 10 copies of each one for the broadsheets to froth over ?

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                        I have every album and I've seen him live twice. He sold out the Royal Festival Hall recently.

He doesn't get featured much on places like Pitchfork and NME because he's not 21 (nor is he in some reformed Britpop group) but that doesn't mean he's any less amazing for it.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
                          Thank you - these are very helpful. Those of you who read the music threads I started when posting as Stroppy might remember that what I know about music is on the small side of bugger all.

Classical ones - I decided to go with Britten, Elgar and Vaughan Williams. That sound OK?
                          Sounds good.
                          Purcell is also quite influential.
                          Holst (the Planets suite) was born in England too.
                          As a modern composer, Michael Nyman has scored dozens of films with wonderful music.

Can't really argue with the 3 you've chosen though.
                          Britten's 'Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra' is a very well known piece.
                          Elgar did 'Pomp and Circumstance' and the 'Enigma Variations.'
                          Vaughan William nailed versions of 'Greensleeves' and 'Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis.'

Handel's music is often thought of as being very 'British' but, of course, he wasn't born in this country.

Comment

Nearly forgot Brian Eno .

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
                              Hi,

I need a list of 15 British musicians, bands, solo artists, classical composers etc, as part of a very brief guide to arts in the UK.

Any suggestions? My knowledge of music is very poor indeed, although obviously I have some in mind. At least one or two fairly recent ones would be good, and hopefully a couple of solo singers if possible - most of the names that spring immediately to mind are groups.

Thanks in advance for any help.
                              I'd recommend watching the 'Britannia' series of programmes on BBC Four. Each episode covers one genre, be it blues, rock, heavy metal, pop or whatever and are very insightful in regards to the legacy and influence of certain UK acts. The series is a few years old now but often repeated (on BBC Four) and are probably available to view on youtube. Maybe iplayer too.
                              Last edited by Charlie; 15-03-2010, 17:46. Reason: embarassing typos

Comment

Working...
                              X