No announcement yet.

PlayStation Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one of the devs at gdc said that the thing is so accurate that it makes the output from a wiimote look like a random number generator

i heard that on the latest 1up podcast

Comment

Originally posted by FullSpecWarrior View Post
      one of the devs at gdc said that the thing is so accurate that it makes the output from a wiimote look like a random number generator

i heard that on the latest 1up podcast
      Just to qualify that... thats wiimote WITHOUT motion plus (also mentioned on that same podcast )

Comment

i think my complaint is this really when it comes to all things like wiimote...move...natal etc ..is i like a certain type of games call them hardcore if you will be it gears of war...bioshock...streetfighter 4...bayonetta..call of duty...etc ...and when i think of these motion controls...i think party games and shallow games which while i would find fun i would grow bored in a matter of hours

and if these motion controls do become big i imagine more and more of these party games being made and the actual games i love being sidelined

now if they could blend the motion controls with games i really like then i would be happy

Comment

As a Valve/Steam convert who doesn't much enjoy Halo-style FPS gaming (But also doesn't enjoy keeping a gaming PC up to date), I have high hopes for motion control to bring mouse-like FPS gameplay to consoles.

Hell, if Killzone 2 had a SOCOM4-style pointer control scheme at launch, I probably would have bought and enjoyed the game.
          In actuality, playing the demo felt like trying to eat soup blindfolded with a fork. It just seems like hard work. (I know I'm lazy... )

Comment

Comment

I want his orange juice

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                As much as I'm not that interested in what comes of this, I'm still intrigued about the tech and we need somewhere for it to be discussed outside of the GDC keynote thread.

Digital Foundry have done some basic testing of controller latency, which is written up here along with some 60fps footage giving a good indication of the latency.

Some other links/vids from the GDC thread (To make this post slightly less useless. ):

Eurogamer - Only two Move and SC pairs supported
                Gameinformer - Behind The Scenes Of The PlayStation Move
                Digital Foundry - Digital Foundry vs. PlayStation Move

Introducing the PlayStation Move:

Slider:
                I've only read the digital foundry article but it does indeed make Move sound like a very promising piece of kit. I really hope Sony do go for us core gamers with it, as it sounds quite exciting to say play a stealth game have the device recognise your head and use it to peer round a corner in-game or to play a racer and have a look at the wing mirror just by moving your head - as indeed DF themselves pointed out.

I know Sony and Microsoft want a piece of the Wii audience which is fine, but with quality and ground breaking kit such as Move, I just hope its put to some good, core-gaming usage.

What was also pretty interesting is they mention in that article they hacked the Move to run on a PC and were able to play Starcraft properly, which has to be said is pretty cool.

Heres hoping it ends up as more then just shovelware fodder....

Comment

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
                  as it sounds quite exciting to say play a stealth game have the device recognise your head and use it to peer round a corner in-game or to play a racer and have a look at the wing mirror just by moving your head - as indeed DF themselves pointed out.
                  I'm seeing a slight flaw in that idea, as if you turn your head to look at an imaginary wing mirror then you won't actually be looking at your TV screen! You'd have to turn your head and keep your eyes fixed... we'd have a nation of gamers doing Dale Winton impersonations.

Besides, wouldn't we have to attach those wand devices to our heads somehow? Maybe via a day-glo headband?

Comment

No, I believe the PlayStation Eye tracks head movement? So it's sort of a mashup of Natal and the Wiimote.

Comment

Originally posted by Junko View Post
                      Playstation Move .... It does Punchout , Links Crossbow training , Wii Sports resort etc etc

Im actually embarrassed for Sony
                      For redoing already succesful games with more precice controls and much better graphics on a control that has a lot more hardcore users?

Yeah, how embarrassing for them!

It strikes me that it's absolutely okay for Microsoft to do what they are doing with the Natal but Sony aren't allowed to?

Not aimed at anyone in particulr, but it seems that the usual fanboy bias rules the internet I guess.
                      Last edited by Jebus; 18-03-2010, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Randicoot View Post
                        No, I believe the PlayStation Eye tracks head movement? So it's sort of a mashup of Natal and the Wiimote.
                        Yep it does voice stuff too, maybe not as in depth as natal i dont know but it does seem the best of both worlds. I dont know how having nothing in my hands is going to feel while playing games, move looks like a better wiimote with hd gfxs etc which should be good for alot of games.

Comment

GT5 has head tracking using the PSEye. It can process 120 frames per second so it's potentially quite responsive. Lol @ the Dale Winton thing.

Comment

Initially I was quite impressed with Move but reports from GDC seem to suggest that its 1:1 tracking isn't quite all that and the demos weren't all that great. While it's good that they're courting 'normal' games as well as the usual mini game tosh I very much doubt that we'll see the big hitters using motion control much. At least on the Wii I can look forward to Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc even if 3rd party stuff is mainly poor. Unless someone's very brave and goes full tilt for a big AAA Move title I think we'll still be stuck with the mini games and some Wii ports with (slightly) upgraded graphics.

Comment

It's been noted already, but I think what's important for Sony is that if Move doesn't take off, it's not a big deal - they still have their existing 'platform'. Sony probably aren't going to be crying into their cereal if it turns out that people prefer using a Dual Shock 3.

On the other hand, Nintendo are basically stuck with what they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                                It's been noted already, but I think what's important for Sony is that if Move doesn't take off, it's not a big deal - they still have their existing 'platform'. Sony probably aren't going to be crying into their cereal if it turns out that people prefer using a Dual Shock 3.

On the other hand, Nintendo are basically stuck with what they have.
                                Apart from the amount invested research and dev, promotion, 3rd party teams who invested in and users who bought it, it's all ok.
                                It's a waste of everyones time if they are not properly commited with this and pushing 3d gaming, they better have the power and commitment because it could leave them losing a lot more if it don't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X