PlayStation Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PlayStation Move

As much as I'm not that interested in what comes of this, I'm still intrigued about the tech and we need somewhere for it to be discussed outside of the GDC keynote thread.

Digital Foundry have done some basic testing of controller latency, which is written up here along with some 60fps footage giving a good indication of the latency.

Some other links/vids from the GDC thread (To make this post slightly less useless. ):

Eurogamer - Only two Move and SC pairs supported
    Gameinformer - Behind The Scenes Of The PlayStation Move
    Digital Foundry - Digital Foundry vs. PlayStation Move

Introducing the PlayStation Move:

Slider:

I am looking forward to this. I welcome the option to play existing games with Move and look forward to some games built around it.

The only thing I don't really like is the positioning of the Cross, Square, Triangle and Circle buttons. They're not in the traditional diamond layout Hope they rethink that.

Comment

The idea of integrating this device into existing games is going to win Sony some credit. Lol at Reggie 'pie boy' Fils-Aime for accusing them of blatant rip off. Excuse me? Wii motion plus (and the whole two games that currently work with the ****ing thing) says hi.

Comment

Reggie is just gutted because adding motion controls to powerful HD console = doable whereas adding HD power to Wii = impossible. Things evolve. The Move system has way more tech than wiimote anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
          Lol at Reggie 'pie boy' Fils-Aime for accusing them of blatant rip off.
          how is move anything but a wii rip off? I mean its hardly unexpected, but it's a remote style controller that relies on an optical sensor and an accelerometer, uses a "nunchuck" style attachment and it even comes bundled with a sports compilation, i mean seriously...

Comment

Everyone rips off everyone in this industry though. You gotta expect it as you say.

Comment

It may well be, I just enjoy ripping into old dough-face at every opportunity I can get.

The man who may as well be president of Nintendo on the whole, rather than just America, given how he seems to have authority to speak for every region.

The audacity of it all!

Comment

Comment

The move tech is quite intresting but it doesnt have the wow factor it has far to many bits to it...camera...wand...then control pad, its also going to be expensive to buy all those extra controls.

the most intresting part is the augmented reality stuff, it looks great and can imagine it being a right laugh. From all GDC demo's i'ed say eye pet looks the most intresting move adds a extra layer to the interaction with your virtual pet.

but with all this motion/voice/camera controlling tech they all need a killer app ! personaly I cant think of anything worse than playing SOCOM, RE5 with move. "Patching" in move functionality is not the way to go in my opinion, studios need to build software from the ground up or even use some of the move ie.. using hand gestures to shortcut in game menus or scanning your face/body for in game use.

I think natal has more streamlined hardware, an all in one small device but the tech behind it is fundamentally different.
                  Last edited by Richie_uk; 17-03-2010, 12:53.

Comment

But wands are easy for people to understand (see Wii for proof). The camera you can ignore as it just sits there. No more difficult to get your head round than a Wii, just better (from all reports so far).

Natal is a far grander plan. No doubt about that. Thing is, I can see how RE5 and Socom can work with Move. I don't see how RE5 and e.g. Gears of War 3 work with Natal. Mind you, I'm not a game developer and don't have the imagination to think about how Natal tech could be employed to make traditional games better. I see how party games could be great fun with that system but I don't see how traditional games will be enhanced in any way.

Comment

Playstation Move .... It does Punchout , Links Crossbow training , Wii Sports resort etc etc

Im actually embarrassed for Sony

Comment

I don't understand why people are upset by this. You lose nothing. You don't need to buy it. Good ideas are copied all the time.

Comment

Once all thease techs have had time to devlop and breathe then we will start to see some inovative software, all the major first part devs are still working on the move/natal API (application programming interface) this must be a huge undertaking.

Imagine all the ways one could activate "continue"...Hand shake/wave/slide ect...

very intresting stuff.

Comment

Can you still use two of them to do a bowstring motion or was that dropped after the earliest E3 demo they did? That really impressed me.

(I suppose I should watch the videos first)

Ah yes it does still do that.
                            Last edited by Darwock; 17-03-2010, 15:24.

Comment

For the move to be 1:1 accurate the camera has to see the globe. Otherwise it guesses the position based on tilt sensors and accelerometers. It'll produce more accurate movement than even the Wiimote+ in theory. It would do samba de amigo much much better for instance.

Comment

Working...
                              X