Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the DS has been responsible for many changes within the industry and in hardware design as such as the Wii and opening the door for the massive expansions etc that we have seen but taking away the sea of simple or mini-game titles that are on the system (which some like Layton can be fun for a while) and I've found that the pandering to the new audience games has led to some of the weakest entries in many series that have been seen. Mario Kart DS, NSMB etc? No thanks. It's certainly not a DS exclusive situation as the the system is very much the Wii's sibling.

Plus, the weakness of the PSP's lineup for most of it's life for me doesn't improve the DS's standing. The GBA predecessors had much better lineups personally. After the DS's and Wii's success I'd hope that in addition to further expanding the market they will also mature the gaming experience as even these new gamers are accustomed to the experiences now.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
      The lenticular screens are textured with small lenses in ridges, so rubbing a stylus across them wouldn't be smooth
      I hadn't even considered that it wouldn't come with a touchscreen, regardless of DS support. Presumably there's some other way of achieving the effect.

Comment

Im pretty sure this is an April fools.

Lest face it, 3d like this isnt even being used in planes, army or navy yet. So its highly, highly doubtful that ninty have found out how to do it reliably, cheaply and practicably in a device the size of a DS.

In fact im pretty sure that in order to create a 3d image without glasses it requires extremely high definition outputs, one bottom and one top and a lot of power.

Comment

Kotaku have already cracked it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            Even Nintendo aren't big enough to change April Fools Day to the 23rd of March.

Comment

Isn't there already a game that is 3d-ish coming out on Dsi ware? You tilt the screen anad have to find letters hidden in the backdrops? I'll see if I can find the vid...

Edit: found it.

Last edited by jezzace; 23-03-2010, 11:29.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post

Lest face it, 3d like this isnt even being used in planes, army or navy yet. So its highly, highly doubtful that ninty have found out how to do it reliably, cheaply and practicably in a device the size of a DS.

In fact im pretty sure that in order to create a 3d image without glasses it requires extremely high definition outputs, one bottom and one top and a lot of power.
                Not at all, as has already been mentioned , there are very cheap and easy ways of creating 3D image without specs, Probably is it isn't very good, especially compared to the kind of depth that the 3D films can achieve.

This is the only page that kind of explains how Nintendo are probably going to do it.

just image that the 2 interlcaed images are moving and voila.

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace View Post
                  Isn't there already a game that is 3d-ish coming out on Dsi ware? You tilt the screen anad have to find letters hidden in the backdrops? I'll see if I can find the vid...
                  That kind of thing is actually a lot less impressive in real life than it is in videos. It's a neat effect, but you don't have any sense of depth in the way you do with a 3D display, because you're seeing the same image with each eye. A 3D screen will look 3D even if it's a static image, whereas that effect only works by changing the image as you move around.

Comment

It's actually pretty effective at 3D (each eye sees a completely different image), it just has an incredibly narrow viewing angle and produces an odd effect when you do go outside of the viewing angle.

Hopefully they've come up with a solution to make the angle wide enough to cope with the typical twisting and turning that would occur in regular play.

Comment

you also get that horrible vertical interlacing effect though, which really degrades image quality. The techniues has been around for decades, even centuries, so I would of assumed if there was some way of fixing the fundamental problems with the optics it would of been done by now.

Several Tv companies have demoed TVs using this technique for years, but the inherent problems of the edges blurring and the drop in resolution have yet to be corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Personally, all I really want from a new DS is far higher resolution and more power. The same. Only better. But I'll take 3D if they give it to me and I don't have to wear giant stupid glasses on the bus. Or blow into the mic. Or otherwise make a tit out of myself.
                        Same here, more of the same but with 3D sounds brilliant.

The possibilities of Mario in 3D are far and wide, it could almost be as revolutionary as when we got Mario 64.

Whether Developers can create unique game play situations with the 3D is yet to be seen, and of course, what 3D is possible on the 3DS?

Comment

Another DS?

"...and she takes it up the arse"

Comment

I'd put money of them showing some kind of paper mario game to demo the 3d

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace View Post
                              Digital Foundry thinks they're just going to go for this kind of effect by shoving an accelerometer in.

There, that saves you wasting your life reading that crap.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS View Post
                                That kind of thing is actually a lot less impressive in real life than it is in videos. It's a neat effect, but you don't have any sense of depth in the way you do with a 3D display, because you're seeing the same image with each eye. A 3D screen will look 3D even if it's a static image, whereas that effect only works by changing the image as you move around.
                                Presumably if this new DS has a camera in the front for face-tracking shenanigans, it could do both types 3D at once.
                                Optical 3D coupled with head/eye tracking.

Comment

Working...
                                X