Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
    Looks like unlocked Desires are getting the OTA update to 2.2 this weekend

We've just heard directly from HTC regarding that hotly anticipated upgrade to Android 2.2: it's happening this weekend for lucky Euroland owners of the Desire. Provided your Sense-laden 3.7-incher is not carrier-locked, you should be receiving your serving of Froyo by the end of the week, together with a new 720p video mode and iTunes sync for your music. HTC is also throwing in its App Share widget that it first introduced with the Wildfire, along with its smart Caller ID feature. Very nice, though it's quite a shame that operator-specific versions of the update are still stuck in testing and are expected "in several weeks' time." Ah well, guess that'll teach us to buy our gear unlocked. Update: Owners of unlocked Desires around Europe (and for that matter, the world) have informed us that OTA Froyo is being dished out in earnest. Enjoy!

And still no hero 2.1 update. Im now pretty sure that orange are not going to bother releasing it since they've had it for 2 months now and would of done already. Very poor show. No more branded phones for me.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      And still no hero 2.1 update. Im now pretty sure that orange are not going to bother releasing it since they've had it for 2 months now and would of done already. Very poor show. No more branded phones for me.
      Two of my work colleagues have had the Hero on Orange since last year, running Android 1.5, and they both received 2.1 over the air on Wednesday. Both are still on Orange and haven't unbranded or rooted their phones. They were happy to finally get it, being as it has been the best part of a year since it was supposed to only take six months.

Comment

2.2 for Desires this weekend. Unless you're on Orange or Tmobile. In which case you have to wait for them to crap all over the firmware first.

Comment

Apps

Scorchio - the best hot uk deals app (Free)
          Ride Hopper was great when i went to Alton Towers gived you live queue wait time updates.
          Shazam - identify music (Free)
          Gaming Buzz - great gaming news app, takes the articles from some of the webs best gaming news sources (Free)
          Tech Buzz - same as above but for gadgets (Free)
          Mobile Buzz - (Same as above for mobile phone news)
          I Music - download mp3s or stream them (free) surely not legal

I did post some first play threads on some android games but nobody seamed interested so i stopped.

Games

Action Potato - involves potatos and jumping dustbins with faces, very addictive (free)
          Abduction - guide your jumping cow up the screen - includes web scoreboards (free)
          Puzzle Wars - no longer in the market (dont know why) very good Puzzle Quest clone and free too
          Peggy - tough Peggle clone (Free)
          Numbergame - the numbers round from countdown
          Trap! - trap balls that are bouncing about the screen
          Slimeball Speedway - katamari meets Monkey Ball (paid but free demo)
          Robo Defence - The best tower defence game on Android (free and paid)

Comment

Originally posted by MJ View Post
            Two of my work colleagues have had the Hero on Orange since last year, running Android 1.5, and they both received 2.1 over the air on Wednesday. Both are still on Orange and haven't unbranded or rooted their phones. They were happy to finally get it, being as it has been the best part of a year since it was supposed to only take six months.
            They probably bought there phones and contracts through CFW, in which case they would of got unbranded phones. No branded orange phones have received either of the updates yet.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
              They probably bought there phones and contracts through CFW, in which case they would of got unbranded phones. No branded orange phones have received either of the updates yet.
              For what it's worth I know one of them came from Orange because it was ordered directly from Orange's website. I'm sure they've both said they had Orange branding on them, but will check.

Maybe they ordered it early enough that it was free from branding. That's the case with my 3 Desire. My Desire came directly from 3 a few months ago and is unbranded, whereas 3 now brand them.
              Last edited by MJ; 01-08-2010, 09:02.

Comment

So the best thing about Froyo on my Desire isn't apps2sd support, nor the fact that things run nice and fast, it's the fact that the startup tune is no longer so loud that it undermines the foundations of my house every time it starts up

Comment

Yeah Quietly Brilliant eh. Ironic.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
                    2.2 for Desires this weekend. Unless you're on Orange or Tmobile. In which case you have to wait for them to crap all over the firmware first.
                    It's not out on Vidafone yet either. Bizarre, because there is barely any sign that my phone is on Vodafone. Christ knows what they're doing to delay the release.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ View Post
                      For what it's worth I know one of them came from Orange because it was ordered directly from Orange's website. I'm sure they've both said they had Orange branding on them, but will check.

Maybe they ordered it early enough that it was free from branding. That's the case with my 3 Desire. My Desire came directly from 3 a few months ago and is unbranded, whereas 3 now brand them.
                      Annoying thing is that i only want access to google navigation, which i could even on android 1.6, but no it didn't even get that, couldn't care less about the other stuff in the update to be honest.

Comment

The market seems fixed now for folks with 2.2 (unless you fixed it yourself)... so most of the apps are there now.

Comment

Seems orange have rolled the hero 2.1 update out at long fecking last. Mines all installed and now on 2.1, yay

Edit. finally had a chance to use google navigation, and its actually bloody good. Wont be getting rid of the tom tom just yet but it will certainly be very handy to have on me at all times.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 04-08-2010, 14:39.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                            It's not out on Vidafone yet either. Bizarre, because there is barely any sign that my phone is on Vodafone. Christ knows what they're doing to delay the release.
                            Apparently Vodaphone have vomited their version up onto Desires now?

Comment

Quick question for Android users (preferably those with an HTC Wildfire if any)

Is it worth me downloading something like a snes emu for a Wildfire or would the phone's processor speeds simply negate the bother?

Just been offered the phone through Voda on upgrade and I'm pretty tempted.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                                Quick question for Android users (preferably those with an HTC Wildfire if any)

Is it worth me downloading something like a snes emu for a Wildfire or would the phone's processor speeds simply negate the bother?

Just been offered the phone through Voda on upgrade and I'm pretty tempted.
                                Ive got a gba emu on my hero and it runs fine (gameboid is the best one) obviously you still have the control issues, your not going to be able to play games like mario kart because of the shoulder buttons, but for games like advance wars, pokemon, rpg's etc, its pretty good. The wildfire is quicker than the hero too. Though i would go for an htc desire if you can.

Comment

Working...
                                X