No announcement yet.

Playstation Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone, you may have heard in all the E3 hype that we are launching a new premium subscription service called PlayStation Plus, so I just wanted to give you all a quick heads up on what you can expect to get from this great new service so you have all the info before launch [...]

Don't know what to make of this. The price is right for starters, and at face value it looks as though you're getting your moneys worth - at the moment though I'm not sure there's enough there to warrant the subscription for me.

And I still think the patching functionality (Awaiting more detail obviously) should be available to all.

We wanted to offer members the speediest service possible so sign up and you can set your PS3 to automatically receive the latest game updates for all the games you play, PS3 system software updates and even have game demos sent directly to your PS3 without lifting a finger.

Just set the time you want to receive them and your PS3 will automatically wake up and download everything, ready for when you next want to play. No more waiting to play your favourite game because there is a new patch or having to remember when the latest system software is launching, let your PS3 do the work.
    Interesting that they kept stating 'for the duration of your subscription' as well. It's safe to say that any free content you get will effectively be rented and tied to the sub through the PSN DRM.

Comment

I'll test out the trial, if its good i'll subscribe. At least it sounds like its offering more than xbox live gold.

Comment

Also cool little nugget on UK store (may have missed it from conference)

"If you subscribe for a year's membership before 3 August 2010, you not only get all of the features above, you'll also be able to claim a free copy of the award winning PlayStation 3 platform title LittleBigPlanet."

Comment

I wonder if that means they'll do it as a full downloadable title? Not that it matters really, I'd rather they gave you a choice of a few first party games.

Good way to get the name out there for LBP2 though I guess.

Comment

Thats nice, might do that as i no longer have LBP. I wonder if they are going to do live..*cough* Plus cards.

Comment

You know, this doesn't sound too bad to me. It's unlikely something I'd pay for, but in 6 months time with enough games available on the service, who knows. It represents actual value, unlike Live where I'm effectively paying just to play a game I own on an internet connection I own, with a game hosted by either myself or a friend.

I said years back MS should give subscribers bonuses and perks like free games. I doubt this will make them move in that direction, but I can hope.

Comment

If I payed for Plus, would it work for both mine and my brothers accounts? We use the same PS3 but have seperate users and PSN accounts...

Comment

On paper this sounds alright but given that most of the things that interest me on PSN I've already paid for I'm gonna need more specifics to make a decision. I don't want the monthly free game offers to be stuff like Wipeout HD when I've already bought that. Hopefully, it'll launch with some decent software to bulk the line up a bit.

Comment

So the rumours about being able to chat with people playing other games was false? And cloud-based saving? I wasn't going to get this anyway, but I'm even less impressed than I was expecting.

It's the DRM that most concerns me the most. Here, have all this stuff, but the second you stop paying? De-activated. Yeuch.

Comment

He didn't explain it very well so I did a double take too.

But I think he meant only the free stuff you get access too during the subscription is removed, not anything you've paid for. Which isn't as bad, but certainly a bit more ballsy than MS's approach.

Comment

Yeah, I saw somewhere comparing it what you get with a Zune in that respect. As soon as you stop paying subs you lose access to the 'included' content. Which makes sense I guess from their point of view as it's an added incentive to keep with the service.

It'll be interesting to see what they provide month in month out though, because Sony have a mixed track record in that respect.

Personally I think I'd have been more interested if some of the other features were there rather than more free stuff. Let's see if I can resist.

Comment

Discounted stuff gets removed when you cancel your sub + 'other' stuff.

Comment

This weeks updates to the PSN US and Euro stores are a really good example of why Sony really, really need to pull their finger out if they want people to stump up money.

The US had a lot of new PSN games yesterday but Europe's only getting a quarter of that (I'm leaving aiside PSP stuff and Rockband content).

They've been saying for ages they're going to improve the PSN output but until they actually do, there's no way I'm going to pay and see.

Comment

Agree with that, I will always support EU services when I can but they make it so hard to resist other store.
                              Also this made me think there could be a split in services with PSN+ subs, I can just imagine PSN+US subs getting a free copy of Pixeljunk Eden and the PSN+EU sub gets a copy of Smash Cars same week, lets hope that doesn't happen.

Comment

15/50 Euros equivalent over here. Really hope they announce proper details abotu content soon as it's only 2 weeks away and going off the current PSN Stores I'd have to go for the US Store. Not worth subscribing to 2 or more of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X