No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see this going wrong. I can see stock being unavailable or people being ignored. The last thing MS want at launch is news stories of people complaining.

Comment

I can’t imagine too many people are taking up All Access anyway. It’s only remotely worth it in a world where you actually have to pay £10.99 a month for Game Pass Ultimate - but as it stands, it’s easy to get it much cheaper than that. I expect that will change at some point, but as it stands you’d be far better off sourcing a used Bone for £100 or so and either filling your boots with cheap disc games, or buying a year of Gold and converting it to Game Pass Ultimate for £1.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
        I can see this going wrong. I can see stock being unavailable or people being ignored. The last thing MS want at launch is news stories of people complaining.
        You have to go to a Smyths store, sign up for all access for Xbox One X and then you will be given the option to upgrade , at smyths. It will all be subject to stock and no doubt a regular preorder deposit situation. As they haven’t announced the price for Scarlett, you don’t know how much it is.

Sony and MS are both prepping for this, it’s only a matter fo time before GameStop in the US collapses and consumer’s choice for purchasing is killled , so they need to prep other options. Sony just opened their Direct sale website which has next day shipping for Ps+ users. That’s a big deal in the states, where next day is unusual.
        It’s the next step up from the Sony managed preorders of the Ps2 days
        It’s a good option if you don’t have £600 for a new console down the back of the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          It’s only remotely worth it in a world where you actually have to pay £10.99 a month for Game Pass Ultimate - but as it stands, it’s easy to get it much cheaper than that. .
          It's very much worth it if you're thinking of getting the Xbox Scarlett. £24 quid for 24 months isn't far off the interest one would be paying for a £500 console on the credit card. For that, you get a One X and Gamepass ultimate, with tons of games and LIVE.

Really good value

Comment

Yeah, but if you're paying credit card interest on a £500 games console that's about to be replaced next year, you're a mug.

You'd be infinitely better off scoring this: https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?...%29-discounted

Or a similarly or lower priced used one on eBay, then topping up with either cheap disc games or discounted Games Pass Ultimate codes (you can currently get 3 months for £15 on CDKeys, or 6 months for £30 on Amazon).

For £165, you could have an Xbox and enough GPU months to take you through till nearly the Scarlett launch, with no monthly commitment. That's versus £576 over 2 years. Sure, it's not a One X, but that's still a massive saving.

Tying yourself into £24 a month for two years for a games console that's due to be heavily discounted in the next 12 months, not to mention replaced by a new model, is a terrible idea. Especially when we don't even know what Scarlett will be like yet, or what it will cost, making the current value of the 'upgrade option' dubious to say the least.
            Last edited by wakka; 29-10-2019, 12:43.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              Yeah, but if you're paying credit card interest on a £500 games console that's about to be replaced next year, you're a mug.
              I was thinking more that Xbox Scarlett is going to come in at £500. What is most APR's these days over 20%? 24 quid a month for 2 years for Brand new XBox One X along with LIVE and Gamepass and where in 12 months time you can upgrade to Scarlett, isn't bad at all IMO

Comment

I'm assuming this is reflecting a lot of XBL/Game Pass costs. If MS for one second thinks its launching Scarlett at £500 they might as well pull out of the hardware business now and become a software platform. It'd make Xbox One look like their biggest success story.

Comment

While we’ve heard some details about the PlayStation 5, Microsoft’s rival with Project Scarlett remains something of an enigma. We know it’s coming Holiday 2020 and we know it’ll be close to the PS5 in terms of power with the same promises of potential 8K gaming and up to 120fps (at lower resolutions), ray tracing, […]

Phil Spencer says Xbox 4 won't be left behind on power or price when it comes to positioning it against PS5. He also says MS has had conversations about the future of Xbox hardware and suspects there will be multiple generations of console ahead for the platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    http://www.darkhorizons.com/xbox-chi...peat-mistakes/

Phil Spencer says Xbox 4 won't be left behind on power or price when it comes to positioning it against PS5. He also says MS has had conversations about the future of Xbox hardware and suspects there will be multiple generations of console ahead for the platform.
                    Good. Sony need some competition next gen. I still don't know how they will steal 100mil established Sony users though.

Comment

Head of Microsoft Games Studio confirms that next-gen Xbox games will fully work on Xbox One X, Xbox One S and Xbox One with the visuals scaling down like they would on an old PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        https://www.t3.com/news/xbox-scarlet...tibility-plans

Head of Microsoft Games Studio confirms that next-gen Xbox games will fully work on Xbox One X, Xbox One S and Xbox One with the visuals scaling down like they would on an old PC.
                        While this seems good on the face of it, i think this has a couple of issues.

1: For me, getting a new console is more than just a graphics increase. New consoles tend to introduce a new element, like controller improvements or gameplay design that would have been impossible with the previous generations hardware limitations. MS is saying that new games need to be developed with the old console also in mind. Which I believe will hamper the development of new ideas. Could Halo or Tomb Raider work on the previous console, yeah sure. Could Astrobot or Death Stranding? No, because the 360 and PS3 couldn't run it.

2: If i can play new and exclusive Xbox4 games on my Xbox one, why buy an Xbox4? MS have put money in to buying developers and marketing to rally people in to buying a new Xbox4 and then they tell me that shiny new Halo that looks cool is available on a console I already have? I'll wait to buy the Xbox4 then thanks. Oh and if the PS5 has exclusive games that are only on the PS5, then i'll buy a PS5 instead.

Comment

Eh? This seems...nuts. Is that definitely what they're saying, that I can buy an Xbox 4 disc, stick it in my Xbox One and it will work?

It's kind of unclear from his wording, but to me it sounds more like he is implying that there will be a lengthy cross-gen period and many games will be cross-gen.

If you can actually whack any Xbox 4 game in an Xbox One, that's insane and will massively hamstring what developers can do with the new hardware - especially when you consider 5 years from now, when the Xbox One will be extremely ancient hardware indeed.

EDIT: Yeah, it seems to only be T3 that are saying this. I don't think it can be right at all, they've misconstrued what he's saying.

Comment

I think it'll be that there'll be different versions pressed much like, off the top of my head, Titanfall or Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360.

Or maybe the "last gen" versions will be digital only?

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                              I think it'll be that there'll be different versions pressed much like, off the top of my head, Titanfall or Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360.

Or maybe the "last gen" versions will be digital only?
                              Yeah, I agree, that’s what I meant by ‘cross gen’, but my wording wasn’t clear. There will presumably still be separate Bone and XB4 versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                                While this seems good on the face of it, i think this has a couple of issues.

1: For me, getting a new console is more than just a graphics increase. New consoles tend to introduce a new element, like controller improvements or gameplay design that would have been impossible with the previous generations hardware limitations. MS is saying that new games need to be developed with the old console also in mind. Which I believe will hamper the development of new ideas. Could Halo or Tomb Raider work on the previous console, yeah sure. Could Astrobot or Death Stranding? No, because the 360 and PS3 couldn't run it.

2: If i can play new and exclusive Xbox4 games on my Xbox one, why buy an Xbox4? MS have put money in to buying developers and marketing to rally people in to buying a new Xbox4 and then they tell me that shiny new Halo that looks cool is available on a console I already have? I'll wait to buy the Xbox4 then thanks. Oh and if the PS5 has exclusive games that are only on the PS5, then i'll buy a PS5 instead.
                                Bar better gfx I’ve seen nothing on Xbox one that couldn’t be done on 360. I would have used PlayStation as an example but it has VR which kinda throws my whole point out the window lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X