102 minutes that changed America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

102 minutes that changed America

Never saw this last year. I always remember being sat at my parents house with a smashed leg in plaster from rugby when i got a phone call off a mate telling me to turn TV on as one of the towers had been hit and it was on the news.

I sat there transfixed and disbelieving for the rest of the day with my mum and dad watching everything unfold. It's the most horrific thing i have ever watched in realtime.

Watching the Documentary last night brought everything back. I'd forgotten how horrendous it was and watching all the unseen public and news footage for the first time since 2001 was harrowing and terrifying in equal measure.

I almost turned off several times when it moved onto the calls from trapped people, footage of jumpers and firemen who knew they wouldn't get back out and whether the fact I didn't was down to morbid curiosity or not, I will say the documentary of what was an attrocious act of terroism was utterly absorbing and easily the most powerful and unforgettable piece of televised history that i have ever seen in my lifetime.

a fantastically made piece of video - quite disturbing as you would expect

Comment

It still shocked and made me feel numb, I remember that morning so vividly. I was a little surprised the filmakers decided to add a soundtrack however subtle, didn't sit right for me on all levels. Felt advertising during it was distasteful too.

Comment

I loved this, brilliantly put together, amazing that you can tell a story entirely with footage gathered in that way.

Also made me miss New York, which I think says a lot.

Comment

Is this available anywhere else to view? I'm watching it in segments on youtube but (and it could be just how it is) the choppyness and framerate of the videos is giving me eyestrain

Comment

4OD

Comment

Was a good documantary. I was living in Greenwich Village when the planes hit and it reminded me of the madness of that day, not that I needed much reminding, but seeing it unfold again on film brought the memories into sharp focus.

I remember, after the South Tower collapsed, running down 9th Avenue on the bank of the Hudson with my then-wife to look for her younger sister whose school was 4 blocks away from the World Trade Centre only to watch in horror, as we approached within nine or ten to blocks, The North Tower collapse. Turns out the school was evacuated soon after the first plane hit and her sister was further uptown and subsequently away from danger than we were but for a while we feared she was dead, indeed my wife was convinced she was. Crazy day. Can't imagine what it was like for those who were downtown proper when those things came down. Horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                Was a good documantary. I was living in Greenwich Village when the planes hit and it reminded me of the madness of that day, not that I needed much reminding, but seeing it unfold again on film brought the memories into sharp focus.

I remember, after the South Tower collapsed, running down 9th Avenue on the bank of the Hudson with my then-wife to look for her younger sister whose school was 4 blocks away from the World Trade Centre only to watch in horror, as we approached within nine or ten to blocks, The North Tower collapse. Turns out the school was evacuated soon after the first plane hit and her sister was further uptown and subsequently away from danger than we were but for a while we feared she was dead, indeed my wife was convinced she was. Crazy day. Can't imagine what it was like for those who were downtown proper when those things came down. Horrible.
                ive been to NYC pre and post 9/11, and one thing that amazed me was how small the area of ground zero actually is.
                i remember back in 97 visiting, and standing under the towers looking up and feeling as though they were swaying above me.
                i have much love for NYC

Comment

Yeah, they weren't huge in terms of their footprint. Just very, very tall.

Comment

Watched some of this with my 8 year old daughter, found it weird discussing it with someone who wasn't even born when it happened, especially as that day is still so clear in my memory. She asked "Why did they do it?", struggled a bit answering that one.

Comment

I was going to watch it, but it's so depressing.. that I decided I knew enough about it, and didn't need to go over it again. It was a horrific nightmare, and I've watched and read a lot of stuff about it. It's an event that will never be forgotten.

Comment

It was horrific, I agree, but America being America - they've made much more of a meal of it than was necessary. I'm not trying to underplay what an atrocious act of terrorism it was, but it was no worse than what the British and Americans did to Germany during WWII, what the British and Americans did in Afghanistan and Iraq, and what Israel continues to do to the Palestinians today.

What makes Sep 11th seem worse is the number of innocents killed all in one day, in one act, but we killed far, far more civilians in the 2003 invasion of Iraq and Israel has killed many more Palestinian civilians than those killed on Sep 11th. Some might argue it's different when you’re at war, but Bin Laden and his Crazies waged holy war on us so it's no different. At the end of the day I'm more shocked and disgusted by what our leaders here in the west do - they're terrorists in suits, masquerading as decent people.

Comment

Working...
                        X