Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron Howard to direct The Dark Tower

Not sure about this .

As a big fan of the books, I think a huge budgeted TV series is the only way to do justice to 7 books worth of dense material.

The latest movie news, reviews and features from the team at Total Film Magazine. Subscribe here today.

However they do it, lets hope it doesn't take them about 30 years to finish it like King did with the books.

There have been lots of failed attempts to 'create' film franchises recently. Avatar and Golden Compass spring to mind.

I do hope that they change substantial portions of the last few books though (especially the final one)

Comment

Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television have locked down an ambitious deal to adapt Stephen King’s fantasy novel series “The Dark Tower” for both the big and small screen reports Deadline. “The Da Vinci Code” team of director Ron Howard, producer Brian Grazer and writer Akiva Goldsman will adapt the property into a feature film […]

Describes how they're doing it. Basically it's unlikely to work, I can imagine this format will compromise quality and shed viewers.

Comment

Oh, I think the writer is more than capable of compromising quality and shedding viewers all by himself

I actually think it's a great, bold idea. Shame about the team involved. But I remain ever the optimist.

Comment

You mean the writer of batman and robin and scores of other incredibly mediocre blockbusters doesn't inspire confidence?

Comment

Yeah, I can't imagine why that is....

Comment

So JJ Abrams has given up with the Dark Tower already. Mr King sold him the rights to the film version for pennies as he reckoned it would be a difficult thing to pull off.

Sounds like an interesting way to do it though. Will it keep peoples interest through all that time though. And will they screw with ending? Who will play Stephen King in the screen version?
              For me the ending is the big problem with the series. It is the correct ending and is hinted at from the start but will people approve. It's not your standard Hollywood style beginning, middle and end style wherein the hero gets the girl.

Comment

The ending does fit with the general theme of Roland's quest for the Tower as being unworthy of salvation (but giving him the chance to earn it) but for readers who could've been waiting 30 years to get the story finished... It felt incredibly cheap and lazy.

Putting a disclaimer that the ending will just piss you off before hand didn't excuse it, it just re-enforced he knew the series deserved a better ending.

I think ultimately though, it's the stuff with Flagg and The Crimson King (plus the horribly self endulgent step of making himself a pivotal character) that made the final book deeply unsatisfying. It probably could've gotten away with the ending were it not for the events leading up to it.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Comment

The trouble with this set up is it's going to result in 2 disjointed series that are dependant on the viewer having seen the films that bookend them. The flip trouble there is you can guarantee that many peeps will watch the first film, skip the series then go to the 2nd feeling it doesn't make sense and skip the 3rd. I think 2 series and 3 films is a very unbalanced way of dealing with the storyline. If series 1 is a viewing figure flop but the film does well what happens then? Crammed storyline? A choppy added 4th film to wrap things up? Or what if the films are unsuccessful but the series isn't? you could continue the story in series form but there's a high risk it'll get axed unresolved and suffer too many unplanned changes.

To be honest I was never convinced that Dark Tower could be adapted into film or TV at all in a way that would both do it justice and prove watchable. Part of me thinks it's not suited to the medium, let alone the way they're doing it.

Comment

Idris Elba has emerged as the front-runner to play gunslinger Roland Deschain in the upcoming film and TV adaptations of Stephen King’s fantasy novel series “The Dark Tower” at Sony Pictures and Media Rights Capital. The “Luther” and “Thor” star would face off against Matthew McConaughey who is in talks to play the villainous Man […]

Revive me do!

Idris Elba is said to be a front runner for the role of Roland

Comment

So, this is finally official.

Idris Elba will play Roland and Matthew MCConaughey will play the Man in Black. Nikolaj Arcel directs and co-writes and the film will skip The Gunslinger and instead jump into the middle of the books storyline. Filming starts in 7 weeks and it's set to be out by next January

Comment

Working...
                      X