Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasphemy! (Covers that surpass the originals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metallica's version of Whiskey In The Jar:

Last edited by Senna; 26-09-2010, 08:34.

Comment

Originally posted by John Parry
      Not really understanding how cover versions could be blasphemous in anyway and better doesn't really come into it but here are some covers that I prefer sometimes.
      Well the "blasphemy" part of the thread title was never meant to be taken that literally. It's just that some people get very upset at the suggestion that a cover of a given song can be better than the original. It was just a sarcastic reference to that. And "better" is a matter of opinion.

Originally posted by Brats
      Joy Division recorded quite a few songs with that slower icy feel, like 'I Remember Nothing' and 'From Safety to Where'.
      Indeed. 'The Eternal' is another good example.

Anyway, here's another cover that beats the original.

Make Up's cover of 'Hey Joe' destroys the original, IMO. It's more dynamic, energetic and, I daresay interesting:

Comment

That cover of There Is A Light just makes me desperately want to listen to the original. Never a good sign.

Loads of people consider Placebo's Running Up That Hill to be better than the original, and Gary Jules' Mad World to surpass the Tears For Fears version. I don't subscribe to that, but they are decent songs in their own right.

Likewise, I consider Pet Shop Boys' Always on My Mind to be bitchin, and sufficiently different from the excellent Elvis version to sound like an entirely different song. Although even the Elvis edition wasn't the original.

Soft Cell's Tainted Love was a cover too, so there's another possibility.
        Last edited by prinnysquad; 26-09-2010, 09:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady View Post

Make Up's cover of 'Hey Joe' destroys the original, IMO. It's more dynamic, energetic and, I daresay interesting
          You call that energetic? Sounds like a second rate Chrissie Hynd or something. You should check out the version by The Leaves - now THAT is energetic!

(btw it's unknown who did the original, it's basically another standard like Blue Moon)
          Last edited by Darwock; 26-09-2010, 09:15.

Comment

I really hated Wonderwall

Comment

I think Placebo did a fantastic job with Running Up That Hill but its strength is a testament to the quality of the song more than anything else. There have been other great versions of it, my fave being quite an understated electro version by the Chromatics. Well worth looking up - I'd link to it but I'm on my iPod right now. Also there's a pretty decent emo version by Icon and the Black Roses. It's just a great song.

Comment

Metallica's version of Whiskey In The Jar doesn't touch the Thin Lizzy version, which is kind of a cover when you consider it's worked from a traditional song.

Anyone who mentions the atrocity that is the Scissor Sister's Comfortably Numb gets a huge slapdown!

How Soon Is Now; as much as I like the original, I can't help but feel this one packs more of a punch. No laughing at the back!

Comment

The video's not showing up for me, I can only hope it's the Mike Flowers Pops version! Got it in Woolworths on cassette for about 10p back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                    How Soon Is Now; as much as I like the original, I can't help but feel this one packs more of a punch. No laughing at the back!
                    You have to be kidding. The only punch they'll get is in the face.

Comment

You guys are funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddie View Post
                        The original is awesome, but I like the cover as well. Can't tell you how surprised I was when I heard it, assumed it would be crap....

I'll get my hat....

Comment

Originally posted by Roddie View Post
                          Very good! The cover was not that bad actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            Anyone who mentions the atrocity that is the Scissor Sister's Comfortably Numb gets a huge slapdown!
                            I think that's a great cover - it's completely different to the original. Save for the lyrics, you'd have no idea it was a cover at all - which is exactly how it should be imo.

Personally I prefer it to the original, but then I'm not really keen on post-Barrett Floyd (save for Meddle).

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                              Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah
                              Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
                              Agree with these two.

Surprised no one mentioned 'Got to Get You Into My Life' by Joe Pesci (bit of swearing in clip at start)

Comment

Originally posted by Sixty View Post
                                This might be a potentially feather-ruffling choice, but I like Wheatus's take on A Little Respect much more than the Erasure version. It's just louder and a lot more rockin' for me.
                                I fully appreciate that whether a band is perceived as 'good' or not is utterly subjective but one incontrovertible fact, proven by science again and again, is that Wheatus, and more specifically the bolly-eyed singer and the Toady-out-of-Neighbours lookalike wanker who plays the bongos, need horsewhipping. Then shooting.

Now in terms of covers, one of my absolute favourite covers, which I think absolutely surpasses the original is (perhaps a bit obviously) Nouvelle Vague's version of In a Manner of Speaking:

I've seen them do it live several times with various singers and each time it's been different in some way but every bit as great.

Tuxedomoon's original is good though, just different. I like the more detached, icy post-punkness of it:
                                Last edited by endo; 29-09-2010, 08:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X