Original Xbox upgrading Hdd questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bash View Post
    By the way. is £55 for a used 750gb IDE a reasonable price to pay these days?
    Yes I would say thats pretty reasonable considering that used 500GB IDE drives tend to go for around £40-£45 on ebay.

The only thing I would be wary of is from what I recall the only manufacturer of 750GB IDE drives was Seagate with their ST3750840A and ST3750640A models, and apparently they were hot/noisy and quite prone to failures:-
    Buy Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3750640A 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

(Be sure to read all the review pages)

Comment

I've found a few people online who reported 750gb+ sizes with no probs. Really does seem like the luck of the draw. Its doing my nut in as, due to my inexperience, I wouldnt want to try it, not have it work and then give up when it could actually be something easy to fix.

Comment

Well hot, noisy and unreliable are the 3 things you don't want in an Xbox HDD.
        You may need to replace the fan to cope or have it running at 100% which will drive you insane.

Comment

double post
          Last edited by bash; 01-10-2010, 19:18. Reason: double post

Comment

triple post
            Last edited by bash; 01-10-2010, 19:19. Reason: triple post

Comment

Agreed, the existing hdd is bloody enough noisy as it is. I guess I'll find out what make/model when I open the thing up. I wouldnt have a scooby doo in what fan to buy or how to replace. Its taken me 2 weeks to get this far. I wont be buying the hdd tonight now as I realise I can trade some stuff with CEX which I've left at home.

There seems to be mixed reviews regarding that 750gb seagate and Im thinking getting a 2nd hand one could be even more risky too.

Comment

We are talking about the original Xbox aren't we? If so I've never found the noise it makes excessive, compared to the XB360 it's almost unobtrusive. Change the fan speed though and, as others have said, it becomes almost intolerable.

Comment

I've just put a WD 500gb drive in my xbox. I used XBpartitioner which is on the AID installer (4.52) disc and made the F partition 128gb and the rest was dumped onto G:. But i cant remember if 16k clusters as standard size on the hd but on the G: partition you are recommended to go to 32k clusters (or which ever the next size up was)

As to the size of the drive. I've installed all 97 of my xbox games onto the G: partition and still have 90gb left, plus the 128gb on F:

Oh btw that chip is a Xecuter 2 of somekind.

Bri

Comment

Wow, I'm gonna grab me one tonight hopefully then. At what stage of formatting it would I need to worry about locking /unlocking it?

Comment

You don't need to worry.
                      It will not work with the chip disabled though but as mentioned this is not a problem now live has been switched off.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                        Wow, I'm gonna grab me one tonight hopefully then. At what stage of formatting it would I need to worry about locking /unlocking it?

You can use the program config magic to lock your drive but (as others have said) there is no point with there being no live any more (is xlink kai still going anyone?).

But if you do lock your drive to go to the MS dash (if need be) make sure you unlock it straight away as ive had a machine go down with a locked drive go down and it isnt easy to unlock it afterwards even if you did use config magic to lock it.

I suppose im saying don't lock it

Bri

Comment

Originally posted by bwi View Post
                          You can use the program config magic to lock your drive but (as others have said) there is no point with there being no live any more (is xlink kai still going anyone?).

But if you do lock your drive to go to the MS dash (if need be) make sure you unlock it straight away as ive had a machine go down with a locked drive go down and it isnt easy to unlock it afterwards even if you did use config magic to lock it.

I suppose im saying don't lock it

Bri
                          If you lock it with config magic then you know what the master key is

TEAMASSEMBLY

Still need a PC but easier than if it was locked with something other than configmagic.

Comment

Well I havent got a pc so all options that eliminate the need for one are the ones for me Just realised I havent even got a fricking torx 10 or 20 argh! Will now need to pop out to the shops AGAIN tomorrow.

Comment

tell me about it smouty having to make a dos boot disk and make atapwd bootable was a throwback to bad memories i thought i'd lost

thank god they made the pass automatically with config magic.

Always been tempted with the 128mb and cpu mod but never jsut got round to it.

bri

Comment

I'd love those mods too but I dont think anyone can mod those anymore . . . . . can they?

Comment

Working...
                                X