No announcement yet.

Original Xbox upgrading Hdd questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there is a guy called trusty on xbox-scene is still doing them. I believe he has just recently managed to put a 1.4 ghz processor in. Not sure on the prices though.

bri

Comment

Im gonna hunt him down but you need to ship your xbox over to china for him right?

Been trying to install unleashx on the 300gb hdd I bought from CEW. Its via my auto installer deluxe final disc and the bloody thing has stuck trying install E:\Apps\XBMC\language\ for over 30 mins

Should I turn this off and start again? Also its not given me the proper file sizes in for hte hdd. It was showing something like 100meg in c:, 5gb in d:, cant remember how much in f: and nothing in G:

Comment

I would first run xbpartioner off the AID disc and set up the partitions first. It will make up to f standard and let you choose what you want F: and G:

Also ive been in contact with trusty today actually.

If you want a board off him already done with 1.4g processor 128mb ram and flashed tsop (no need for chip) he can send one for $220.

there were other options he sent me but thats the all singing dancing version.

bri

p.s why are you putting unleash x on as your main dash,? just being nosey as it hasnt been updated for a fair while

Comment

No reason for unleashx other than its one of the first dashs I saw that prompted me to get back into this shizznit in the first place. I cant say Im thrilled with it, what would you recommend?

Is trusty just selling the mobo and nothing else then?

Comment

If you got he latest AID disc just go for XBMC as it evolved way above all the rest.

this is what trusty sent me

For XBOX V1.0~V1.5,it's possible to upgrade to 1.4G CPU/128M RAM,
            For XBOX V1.6nly 1.4G CPU upgrade,no possible to 128M ram.
            The prices by Paypal (The prices include my working and all
            the stuffs,also include the returning postal cost of HDL,delivery
            time:3~4 days),
            1. V1.3 secondhand complete boards (TSOP flashed : X2_4983)already done
            with 1.4G/512K+128M: 220 USD;
            2. You can also send your board to me to get the upgrade (to 1.4G/512K+128M),
            the price : 175 USD, Working time: max 4 days
            3. You can also send your board to me to get the upgrade (to 1.4G/512K only ),
            the price : 160 USD, Working time: max 4 days
            4. Please notice my prices are included already the postal cost by DHL,
            the PaYPal withdraw cost (For Chinese citizen, PayPal & the Intermedial banks
            will take so much ),and the special DIY heatsink for 1.4G CPU..
            5. The board I send you is exactly a secondhand board,as right now there are no complete
            new boards in the market..
            6. The CPU fan speed is forced to always 100% by hardware modification,there is a flying wire
            for this (a flying wire connectsin3 of transistor Q3N1 <-----> pin1 or pin3 of the fan
            socket J3A1.) in this condition, the CPU fan runs always 100%.),if you want adjust the
            fan speed by BIOS or XBMC ,please just cut this wiring connection(in this condition,the
            fan's control returns to the retail status).
            7. This is the general rule for the electronic devices, but I still emphasize, as it's very
            important:before touching the XBOX inside ,please have the power cable unplugged compltetly
            from the wall,otherwise there is a risk to kill XBOX baord.
            8. Please take care when you handle the board: always put the board on a soft surface to avoid the
            damages on SMD components of the bottom side..
            9. Please use unlocked hard disks on my board...

also have a look at this thread on the XBMC forums

hope that kind of helps

Bri

Comment

Thats incredibly useful, thanks a lot. So tempted to rip out my board and send it to trusty man!!!!

Do I need to uninstall unleashx before I bang xbmc on it. I notice I can boot xbmc from unleashx already anyway. To be honest I just want a more gamey, fun looking front end for my xbox. Cant find any decent skins for it yet, saw a semi decent street fighter one which was zipped up, banged it in the skins folder but nothing, unzipped it in the same folder, still nothing.

Having fun mucking about with Coinops Ignite and now Inferno. Just need 4 x control adapters as the xbox fatty and S pad are not suitable for the job IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                Thats incredibly useful, thanks a lot. So tempted to rip out my board and send it to trusty man!!!!

Do I need to uninstall unleashx before I bang xbmc on it. I notice I can boot xbmc from unleashx already anyway. To be honest I just want a more gamey, fun looking front end for my xbox. Cant find any decent skins for it yet, saw a semi decent street fighter one which was zipped up, banged it in the skins folder but nothing, unzipped it in the same folder, still nothing.

Having fun mucking about with Coinops Ignite and now Inferno. Just need 4 x control adapters as the xbox fatty and S pad are not suitable for the job IMHO.
                XBMC is an APP so you can just put it on, you can change it to the default dash too. Slayers disc has a function to switch it to the default for you (I couldn't get it to work mind, so I just rewrote the xbe's)?

You can also create your own skins for unleashx and evox there are lots pre done here http://www.xbox-skins.net/forums/index.php?act=idx
                Last edited by ^Katsu; 04-10-2010, 10:43.

Comment

Thanks Kats, already seen that site which is where I got the skin from in the first place (after wading through loads of sh1t ones too lol) didnt look for how to get them working as I assumed FTPing them to the SKINS folder would be sufficient.

What did you have to rewrite on the xbe's to get XBMC the default? Im sure the AID disc has the option to uninstall Unleashx and install evox, xbmc etc if I wanted to. . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                    Thanks Kats, already seen that site which is where I got the skin from in the first place (after wading through loads of sh1t ones too lol) didnt look for how to get them working as I assumed FTPing them to the SKINS folder would be sufficient.

What did you have to rewrite on the xbe's to get XBMC the default? Im sure the AID disc has the option to uninstall Unleashx and install evox, xbmc etc if I wanted to. . . . .
                    If you grab the later version of XBMC it has a shortcut file you can edit to direct the Defualt XBE to XBMC you just need to copy that file to your HDD and make sure you have the APPS in the correct partition E: iirc? I kept Unleashx as a app within XBMC.

The AID disc sounds just like the slayers I have, it may work for you only one way to find out!

Comment

Your BIOS will have a hardcoded list of .xbe files to boot.
                      Normally something like evoxdash.xbe, xboxdash.xbe etc.
                      You basically need to look for the file that is currently booting and rename the XBMC shortcut to that. Make sure you have a bootable CD in case you feck it up.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                        Your BIOS will have a hardcoded list of .xbe files to boot.
                        Normally something like evoxdash.xbe, xboxdash.xbe etc.
                        You basically need to look for the file that is currently booting and rename the XBMC shortcut to that. Make sure you have a bootable CD in case you feck it up.

Hmm, not as straight forward as I thought then. I take it the AID disc is a suitable bootdisc for any feck ups?

Comment

You certainly don't need and indeed shouldn't try using any unistalling facility for the dash or anything else. Totally unnecessary. If you have read the AID manual I think they even warn you on a softmodded console not to use the uninstall dash option without installing a new one immediately afterwards. If you happened to muck that up in trying to get XBMC as your main dash you'd get either an Error 21 or more likely Error 13 or 14.

BTW if you get either of the latter DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR CONSOLE because once the residual power has disipated you'll get an Error 16 on boot and you definitely do not want that.

A tip I was given if you've used SID is never to delete the exploit/installer files from the game save list. Having those on the HDD gives you more options if something goes wrong.

A simpler method of getting XBMC to boot first is just to use the System > Settings > Controller Shortcut option using UnleashX.

You can assign any dash .xbe to either the A, B , Y, X, black or white button. Then you simply have to hold that button during initial boot to load the alternative dash first. It is a bit of a crude method and really not much faster than loading XBMC from the Apps list but it works.

This is a lot safer method of getting to XBMC boot first rather than renaming the .xbe but I have done the latter. at least to change the UnleashX version, without problems.

BTW if you've used SID the modded (UnleashX) dash should be evoxdash.xbe which can end up on either the C or E drive. But you can easily find out where it is by again going to System > Settings > System. Click on Xbox Info and down the bottom it should have the path/phy.location of your UnleashX dash as something like E:\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\evoxdash.xbe

I've never been quite sure what to do with the .xbe you're replacing if you use that method. I simply stored it on the E:\drive but renamed to evoxdash2.xbe. But I've read elsewhere that it can or even should be given a bootable name. I wouldn't mind some advice on that myself.
                          Last edited by fallenangle; 04-10-2010, 22:10.

Comment

It isn't softmodded
                            I wouldn't have made the recommendation otherwise.

Comment

Well before I read your posts I uninstalled unleashx via the AID disc and installed XBMC straight after without rebooting and it worked fine. Dont really like it though, its more than I need from a pure gaming perspective. Plus it required me to reconfig my ip settings again. weird.

I think I've made a mistake by banging all my roms into one folder and getting various emus to look in it. Apart from things like FBAxxx and Mame, emus like surrealxxx will pick up ALL the files thus making it impossible to pick out the compatible games. Grrrrr. Really should have asked for advise before doing that, hopefully the file browser will make it easier to cut/paste where applicable.

Have to say Im enjoying this project, getting out of my comfort zone and getting things to work is quote rewarding.

Comment

In XBMC you can set your start area which you should set to Programs. Add a source to where your emus are - E:\apps etc and you'll go straight into the icons to start .
                                This screenshot is from an old build but you get the idea -

Comment

Working...
                                X